Hard water Steel

Fang

Well since buying myself a new steelhead rod, the fall season has been a bust just trying to get out and fish. Always too busy, wind/weather, rivers blown out.

Went for a drive on Saturday and tried checking out an old spot only to find the rivermouth frozen completely over. Saw track and holes drilled so I thought what the heck and got my ice fishing gear together for the trek out Sunday morning.

Things were slow but had a good chat with a couple of the locals who have been out the last 2-3 days on 4+ inches of good black ice and it was making ice all the time I was out. Really good to hear that ping and crack again.

Fished a slack water area in about 6ft and had one hit on a small silver spoon tipped with Berkley Maggots. Asleep at the wheel!!

Moved out off the shoreline to a bit deeper water next to the channel after I saw a couple guys go first. I like this spot as it comes off a wall and is a natural funnel for fish moving in and out of the estuary. About 30 minutes later a good solid whack and fish on. Nice fight and colors. Cell phone shot as the camera was left on the dresser this morning.

wintersteel2.jpg

wintersteel.jpg

No hits on roe at all . Looking forward to a few more trips over the holdiays

Edited by Fang

Way back when,I use to fish the credit just past the rail bridge.It was a blast.

When I was a kid we not only fished near the rail bridge but would dive off it when we saw Cliff Lumsden swimming upstream from the Lakeshore Ave bridge to the QE bridge and try to keep up with him as long as we could (not long believe me)...

Oh yeh...nice fish !!! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Beans