Home made beef jerky

Big Cliff

For several years now I have been making my own beef, venison, turkey jerky. The kids all love it and I thought I'd share how easy it is and ask a favour too.

Go to the butcher shop, get a 4 lb rump or inside round roast and ask him to slice it into about 3/16 slices. When you get that home, cut those slices into about 1" wide strips.

maranide.

3 cups soy sauce

1 cup packed brown sugar

3-5 Tbs of pickling salt (depends on how salty you like things)

1/4 tsp of cayenne (leave it out or add more depending on how spicy you like things, this is mild)

now, if you are doing it in your oven or a dehydrator, I use some liquid smoke. I use a comercial grade, about 1/4 cup but the stuff you buy in the store, I'd probably use 1/3 a cup. If you are going to use your smoker to dry it, omit this step.

Mix up the brine, let it stand for about 10 minutes. Add the meat and make sure it all gets covered in brine (I put mine in a big plastic container with an air tight lid and shake and turn it every couple of minutes) for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Drain it (I just dump it into a collender in the sink) let it drain well, about 10 minutes

I use a dehydrator but you can also use your oven set at about 100° and leave the door slightly open. The dehydrator takes about 30 to 34 hours, the oven, about 18 to 24.

Beef jerky sells in the stores for upwards of $30.00 a kilo you can make your own for about $4.00 a kilo (and it is better)'

Now for the favour: I want to try making fish jerky, a native indian friend gave me some home made stuff when I was out in BC many years ago and I loved it. (I've tried the commercial stuff, it is not good). I need some salmon, rainbow, browns and white fish to work with. So, if anyone can help me with some fish (just cut the fillets off the side ie. cut behind the gills to the back bone then along to the tail through the ribs, leave the skin on and the lateral bones in, I'll take care of that. You can freeze it as long as you make sure you make sure the fish is kept moist or freeze it in water. I will gladly work on perfecting the "fish jerky recipe" and gladly share 50/50 with you what ever I get out of what you supply. Please don't give me stuff that has been sitting in your freezer for two or three years now. It will get given to a friends dogs. Good in Good out!

Don't have any of the fish you are looking for Cliff.

You are more then welcome to the next couple of rainbow hens I keep for spawn. I usually give them to a fellow at work. This won't be until March though, but I will try to remember. Perhaps we can hook up at the Ganny again in the spring and chase them together.

And if you need an Official food tester....I'm your man :D

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Guest gbfisher

Ive been making my own jerky since I bought a Smoker. The maranide is use is similar to yours. I like the hot and sweet. :D

The only probelm with it, even after doing a whole deer. :o There's NEVER enough. Even a whole deer shrinks down to only a few good feeds (couple pounds :lol: ) when yer out on the ice. :) Sure beats the hell out of buying the stuff as you said. ;)

awesome, i make my own jerky also but have never put cayenne, i'll have to try that

only fish i've done was perch, and the only thing we put on it is pepper, no brine or marinades, sometimes lemon pepper, but i'm not a big fan of that, if u dont mind me asking what type of marinading will you be doing for the fish

if you rather not share i completely understand

thx and good luck

I'd be more than happy to share with you but I want to try a few different things first. I'll probably start with a basic brine and refine that as I go.

The stuff I had out West was done with just salt, water, and brown sugar then naturally smoked and dried. I'll try to replicate that first then go from there.

Don't have any of the fish you are looking for Cliff.

You are more then welcome to the next couple of rainbow hens I keep for spawn. I usually give them to a fellow at work. This won't be until March though, but I will try to remember. Perhaps we can hook up at the Ganny again in the spring and chase them together.

And if you need an Official food tester....I'm your man :D

Just don't take Ron from P'boro with you...I hear he catches all the fishes... :lol:

I make a lot of oven jerkey too. Same as Andy, I like a sweet n' hot marinade better then the soy based ones. I use half franks wing sauce mixed with either maple syrup or honey. I marinade for 24hrs though. Just google overn jerkey recipes and you'll find hundreds of ideas for marinade ingredients. There's no wrong way to do it, just depends what flavours you like.