best fly reel

shadowfly

Ross CLA gets my vote for a reel $300 and under. I've had mine for the last 3 seasons for steelhead, salmon and carp (odd time for pike). Smooth drag and feels solid. My buddy has 3 or 4 of them and took them down to Fiji for the Giant Trevally on the flats as well as New Zealand for light blue water fishing. All the reels came back unscathed.

I recieved a Lamson Konic for christmas last year. And it has done everything i expected and more! This year alone it handled smallies, walleye, pike, and almost a muskie lol. When i took it to the rivers i was evern more impressed! i landed well over 100 pink salmon, i dont know how many king salmon over 20 lbs and even some steelies! the drag still feels like it was straight out of the box! i would buy another in a heartbeat! and it retails well under $300

The Orvis Battenkills are bulletproof, will take anything you throw at them and fit into your budget (never used one but know plenty who do). I use a Shimano which is now re-badged as a Loomis (all Loomis reels are Shimano-made) - it's very smooth and has a great drag, I think it looks nice too so it covers all the bases a fly reel should!!

check out year end clear out at Albright Fly Reels. Decent prices

Last year I picked what i figured was a low end 7/8 (Bugatti) for about $35. I'd say it probably a $100 reel at retail.

I bought 2 GP Fly rods as well and they are really nice. They even sell some Spey rods. The 9.5ft 7/8 GP rod is really nice and at $59 USD a great deal.

For what I was going to spend on trout/salmon outfit up here I was able to buy a 7wt steelhead set up and also a seperate 8-9wt salmon

If your looking for small trout reel 4-5 wt PM me I have an Orvis CFO III that has not been outside for 15 years. I'd let it go for $150

I was wondering how well the albright reels handle big fish. I'm pretty new to fly fishing and would like to try fly fishing bass/salmon without spending too much money. They do have sweet LOOKING reels but are they sweet working? The prices are almost too good :P

cool thanks for the input guys

I seen few Fin-nor Fly reels on ebay i have handled one that belongs to a friend but did not get a chance to fish it because it has never seen water(calls it his precious), how ever it feels like a very well made reel but yet they can get pricey even used reels, since they are discontinued by Fin-nor.

the reel has to match my 8wt Fenwick HMG 9' fly rod bought it 2 weeks ago so i thought a very well made fly reel would be nice fit to go with it.

And to be honest i don't like paying $150+ for a reel made in either China , Malaysia or Korea. i prefer either made in USA , Sweden , or Japan even if means coughing up few extra dollars.

once again thanks for all the replies

tight lines.

cool thanks for the input guys

I seen few Fin-nor Fly reels on ebay i have handled one that belongs to a friend but did not get a chance to fish it because it has never seen water(calls it his precious), how ever it feels like a very well made reel but yet they can get pricey even used reels, since they are discontinued by Fin-nor.

the reel has to match my 8wt Fenwick HMG 9' fly rod bought it 2 weeks ago so i thought a very well made fly reel would be nice fit to go with it.

And to be honest i don't like paying $150+ for a reel made in either China , Malaysia or Korea. i prefer either made in USA , Sweden , or Japan even if means coughing up few extra dollars.

once again thanks for all the replies

tight lines.

If you like to buy domestic, you should pickup an Islander. They are made right here in Canada. I don't own any of there fly reels, but i do own a float reel made by them. They make bomb-proof reels and have fantastic customer support. It may cost more, but you are supporting the Canadian economy.

The Albright Bugatti I bought is now spooled with 14lb mono and has made 2 trips out on lake Ontario. With the drag system I'm able to set this reel up in the rigger on the 9.5 7/8 wt GP rod . Only problem in those 2 trips is I never did get a hit on it so I can't tell you how it stands up. Still too new but next season that rod/reel will be out on every trip to the blue zone. Looking forward to some bloody knuckles

I've seen and played with the GPX reels, very solid and not too heavy

The Albright Bugatti I bought is now spooled with 14lb mono and has made 2 trips out on lake Ontario. With the drag system I'm able to set this reel up in the rigger on the 9.5 7/8 wt GP rod . Only problem in those 2 trips is I never did get a hit on it so I can't tell you how it stands up. Still too new but next season that rod/reel will be out on every trip to the blue zone. Looking forward to some bloody knuckles

I've seen and played with the GPX reels, very solid and not too heavy

You use fly gear with a downrigger?

I was wondering how well the albright reels handle big fish. I'm pretty new to fly fishing and would like to try fly fishing bass/salmon without spending too much money. They do have sweet LOOKING reels but are they sweet working? The prices are almost too good :P

I have the Albright Bugatti 7/8, I bought it for bass and pike. I have to say it works really well for the price. Handles good size bass no problem. If I buy another reel, I'll go with Islander.

Yup!

Got the idea from watching all the west cost shows. Kind of a combination mooching/fly rod idea that I'm sure other guys are doing. I ran it with smaller spoons at around 20-40 ft with long leads out in the blue zone. Put the line in the release a little lighter and only a slight bend in the rod.

Only had a few hours with it late in the season but it'll get a full workout next year in 300 FOW. Can't wait for a big bow to hit it.

Yup!

Got the idea from watching all the west cost shows. Kind of a combination mooching/fly rod idea that I'm sure other guys are doing. I ran it with smaller spoons at around 20-40 ft with long leads out in the blue zone. Put the line in the release a little lighter and only a slight bend in the rod.

Only had a few hours with it late in the season but it'll get a full workout next year in 300 FOW. Can't wait for a big bow to hit it.

Cool :thumbsup_anim: Bloody knuckles sounds about right though :stretcher:

Cabela's SLA's are very hard to beat even if you pay full price for them. ~$200 USD. They go on sale probably every year, and they're on sale now for $95 but only one smaller size is left...with the $20 off $100 offer they just had, that would make it impossible to beat excluding buying a used reel