Is anyone else this excited??

Curtis

I'm going to be honest i have been hearing about this for years ever since i use to volunteer at the OFAH. I gave up on it ever happening two years ago and the other day i come on the site and see "pigeion ice".. i dont know about u guys but i am pumped about fishing crappies on rice and chemong.. No more long drives to haliburton and if the crappie fishing is anything like it is in the summer it should be amazing in the winter.

Anyways just had to get that out lol :D

Guest skeeter99
I'm going to be honest i have been hearing about this for years ever since i use to volunteer at the OFAH. I gave up on it ever happening two years ago and the other day i come on the site and see "pigeion ice".. i dont know about u guys but i am pumped about fishing crappies on rice and chemong.. No more long drives to haliburton and if the crappie fishing is anything like it is in the summer it should be amazing in the winter.

kinda

It will be ok this year then next year all the cottage associations and towns will push everyone out with lack of parking or high parking fees to make a buck and all the garbage etc... absolutely fantastic!!!

and I am calling it now probably easily 10 deaths this winter due to lack of knowledge of ice on certain bodies of water very unfortunate

but hey get pumped up!!!

It'll be interesting to see the long term results. Hopefully the fishery doesn't go down the tubes and be left sayin "back when i was a lad we'd catch bass, musky and walleye in rice lake. We'd have to walk to the ol' fishin' hole in 4 feet of snow up hill both ways".

I am really excited about it, living right on Sturgeon lake and having to drive an hour each way just to go ice fishing for a couple of hours didn't make much sense to me. Now at least when my son or grand kids come for a visit we can go out, drill a couple of holes and catch a feed of perch or crappie. My auger is all ready to go and New Years day I'll be ice fishing!

Hi Curtis:

I am completely pumped for Jan. 1, 2010 to arrive. I have been involved with the fishery advisory council since it started and I used to call MNR staff about this years ago and ask why is this fishery closed. It has taken a lot of work by a lot of people to bring these fantastic angling oppourtunities to this area.

The thought of trying some of these great panfish fisheries in the winter is very exciting. These lakes have very healthly panfish populations that can definately support winter harvest. Harvest of adult panfish and pike during the winter and early spring should only help the walleye populations to recover quicker, remember most walleye in the lakes are 2 inches long not 24 inches. These lakes did not have crappie, sunfish and very few walleye when they closed the winter fishery back in the 1920's. It's nice to see progressive regulations that benefit the resource and the anglers.

These lakes have had tremendous use by other user groups during winter months for years, it will be nice for us to be able to get out and enjoy our sport year-round.

As for the access, garbage, on-water safety and enforcement they are issues at all times of the year on all waterways in the province. It is up to us as anglers to conduct ourselves in a courteous, responsible, safe manner while enjoying time with our friends and family.

Good Luck.

kinda

It will be ok this year then next year all the cottage associations and towns will push everyone out with lack of parking or high parking fees to make a buck and all the garbage etc... absolutely fantastic!!!

and I am calling it now probably easily 10 deaths this winter due to lack of knowledge of ice on certain bodies of water very unfortunate

but hey get pumped up!!!

It's like everything else, if the resource is abused we will all "pay" the consequences.

The idiots will continue to die regardless of the activity. It's surprising how many deaths through the ice each year are "locals".