Recall questions

Radnine

I am separately posting this question because I don't want it to negatively affect the wonderful example of dealer service that was exhibited in my last post on the topic (http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38499) but I am wondering if there is any examples of this kind of thing in the past?

My point is that Crestliner has offered to make my boat meet US Coastguard level flotation when swamped standards by filling 10 to 20% of my current storage space with foam. The amount of storage that I am loosing could very well represent the difference maker between me buying the boat that I did and a competitor boat.

Know what I mean? And you can call me whatever kind of pant load you want, it makes me change my outlook on my boat slightly.

The storage lost under the console means that I can't shove my tackle box under there anymore. I loose half of the aft/starboard compartment which is currently where I store two anchors and my bailing bucket. I mean in a 16 foot boat every inch counts. And I am talking about loosing storage that I use every day to plan for a situation that will quite likely (hopefully) never happen.

A respondent to my other post likened it to an automotive recall. Well, if you bought a four door and they told you that they had to weld one of the doors shut, would it be a deal breaker?

Jim

Edited by Radnine

To add a thought to my own thought, I would rather they took away a third of the fuel capacity to what they are proposing, given the kind of fishing/boating that I do. The thing sips fuel and I can fish all weekend without the needle moving, the storage I need.

Jim

Seems to me that if they sold you a sub standard product you should at least be entitled to return it for a full refund. Given that the product wouldn't fully serve the purpose for which it was intended with the suggested mods, in other words it's functionality was misrepresented, you should be entitled either to a fully functional refitted unit or the option of your money back. Perhaps you need to ask the question "What happens to the people that sold this to me if I were to go to the courts asking if this product was misrepresented when I bought it."

I'd push them a bit. What have you got to lose?

JF

My point is that Crestliner has offered to make my boat meet US Coastguard level flotation when swamped standards by filling 10 to 20% of my current storage space with foam.

What about Canadian Coastguard standards, does your Crestliner meet them as that's probably what you should be more concerned with ?? My last boat was a Crestliner and the USCG rated it for a 90 HP while CCG only rated it for 50 HP so their sometimes quite different on their acceptible standards.

I agree with JohnF, that if they did infact sell you a boat that didn't meet the standards, and your gonna have to give up much needed space to bring it up to par, then perhaps you ARE entitled so some sorta rebate or refund :dunno:

I agree with JohnF, that if they did infact sell you a boat that didn't meet the standards, and your gonna have to give up much needed space to bring it up to par, then perhaps you ARE entitled so some sorta rebate or refund :dunno:
I think the language used is something like "To bring the boat to the legal standard means a substantial reduction in utility."

JF

This is what I am thinking, and I hate thinking like that. I love that boat and have since the minute I saw it then bought it, ya know? I never once had anything other than a positive thought, now it feels like I have half a boat.

I'm making the call.

Jim

You should'a bought a TRACKER Dude!!!.. I can fish all day with the drain plug out of mine and never have water

come up out of the bilge drain!... don't ask me how I know this!

Whatever happens to you.. it serves you right for not buying a TRACKER!!!

.. you should really consider trading that substandard crestliner in on a TRACKER!!!

... did I mention I own a TRACKER and am no way affiliated with the TRACKER brand name?

This is what I am thinking, and I hate thinking like that. I love that boat and have since the minute I saw it then bought it, ya know? I never once had anything other than a positive thought, now it feels like I have half a boat.

I'm making the call.

Jim

You actually have less than a half of a boat if it doesn't have level flotation!

Launch it with the drain plug OUT!... if water comes up thru the bilge drain in the floor... you really do need another boat!!!

Might I suggest a TRACKER?

I have the same problem, my 1 1/2 year old boat is subject to the recall and will lose a significant amount of storage, the storage tat at least in part prompted me to buy it, I suppose ill swallow hard and make do with it, considering what it cost me that's going to be a big swallow. Radnine, if you do get any satisfaction from your complaint please pass along the details.

I know I bought my Sylvan this spring for the storage that was in it. i sure wouldn't want them to come to me half way through the year and say, we are taking your storage or your boat will sink if it fills with water. This after having taken a couple serious waves over the bow trolling in rough water. I need one of them skirts

I sorry to hear what's happening to you. I'd be real upset if I was going to lose the storage space. I guess inquire to see if they can compensate you. If not make due with what you have. What else you gonna do. It's a shame. What model boat did you buy? Fish hawk? Hasn't it been around for some time now. What made them just figure out that it's not safe? You'd think they would know this before they put the boat into production. Again sorry to hear. What a shame.

Thinking about it some more, I think that they might be guilty of taking the easy way out. Is there any chance that there are other options available the wouldn't be as easy (or cheap) for them so they didn't get offered? Like taking up the floor and putting more foam there, or the mod to the gas tank, etc.

It is these types of questions that I asked in my email to Crestliner.

I would like to reiterate to all that my dealer has been fantastic throughout.

Jim

You should'a bought a TRACKER Dude!!!.. I can fish all day with the drain plug out of mine and never have water

Funny thing you say that, I've done the same thing with my CRESTLINER and didn't realize for hours. No water ever came up over the floor boards. The only reason we figured out the plug was out is that we got caught in a downpour and when I put the bilge pump on, it pumped out an extraordinary amount of water after a 1/2 hour of pouring rain. We had been fishing for at least 4 hours before the rain and had no idea the plug was out. My buddy did the same once with his Legend (Smokercraft hull) and almost sank his boat.

I'm still torn about this recall, I can't afford to lose any storage either and the aforementioned incident gave me a lot of confidence in the floatation of my Crestliner as is.

Jim, I'd be super pissed if I was in your situation. One of the main selling points of the boat (at least for you) was the amount of available storage.. Personally I wouldn't settle for a boat with less storage after the recall is done. You are in all reality getting a completely different boat back... Either they add the foam in the not so easy to get into spaces, without affecting the current storage, or they give you a complete refund...

Just my 2 cents, I hope you make out ok!

I have the same problem, my 1 1/2 year old boat is subject to the recall and will lose a significant amount of storage, the storage tat at least in part prompted me to buy it, I suppose ill swallow hard and make do with it, considering what it cost me that's going to be a big swallow. Radnine, if you do get any satisfaction from your complaint please pass along the details.

Sounds like a good class action in the offing. How many people are affected by this? Find a lawyer and see if there's a chance of getting it certified.

JF

Edited by JohnF