Chain pickerel

vinnimon

Interesting article Jocko. Thanks for sharing. I was right about the pike-perch reference.

No problem. Lots of times something mentioned on this board gets me to look into things for myself and then I figure I might as well share in case someone else is interested.

I caught a few Nipissing 'blue pickerel', a long time ago. Haven't seen one in many, many years.

As for the spelling, I've always considered the "A" spelling a spelling mistake, a fairly common one though. :P

Here's another Blue Walleye from a Quebec Lake.

The numbers in these lakes are unbeleivable. Largest I have seen was 14Lb - 36" beast my brother in law caught and released a few yrs back. Usually 1 or 2 a yr are caught over 10lbs.

These walleye are excellent eating fish, filets seem "denser" very thin flakes compared to yellow walleye.

Blue_walleye.jpg

From what I understand from my Dad and others his age that had an opportunity to fish the Lake Erie Blue Pickerel is that they were somewhat like a Sauger in that they were small 1-2 pounds with a 3 pounder being a big one and they lacked the white spot on the tail that the Yellow Pickeral/Walleye has. The Blues were caught in large numbers in similar water to fishing for jumbo perch today, they were also a staple of ice fishing too.

I do oppoligize.I should have been more specific when I posted this topic.A pickerel(not a pike),a bluish coloured pickerel(not a pike),no spot on the tail.Eyes were a little different(not gloss eyed or wall eyed)as I recall.But what I do recall is a chain link markings on both sides(not a pike).I have only seen them on the grand in caledonia,about 30 yrs+ ago.Never seen them since.I remember them vividly, and they were small,under a pound.always,as we caught a 2 or so every time,In one particular spot.Please no pike pics, as I do like the pictures,but Im particular to this strain of pickerel.Particularly to this region,and if there still around.,I would love to see a picture,I know there not here in cale.Thanks for everyones input,I loved the pics and pics of picks.And the pike too....

Seems the Blue Pickerel that my dad recalls was called a Blue Pike on the US side of Lake Erie, this link has a few stories of other oldtimers, both anglers and commercial fishermen. Quite the story, a collapse of a species almost on the order of the magnitude of the collapse of the passenger pigeon, prior to 1955 it would seem they were the most important commercial fish on Erie with a seemingly inexhaustable supply, then a sudden collapse.

http://www.outdoorsniagara.com/bluepikeindex.htm

Seems the Blue Pickerel that my dad recalls was called a Blue Pike on the US side of Lake Erie, this link has a few stories of other oldtimers, both anglers and commercial fishermen. Quite the story, a collapse of a species almost on the order of the magnitude of the collapse of the passenger pigeon, prior to 1955 it would seem they were the most important commercial fish on Erie with a seemingly inexhaustable supply, then a sudden collapse.

http://www.outdoorsniagara.com/bluepikeindex.htm

Maybe they were overfished and couldnt recover.Their time to go perhaps. :dunno: Im sure some where in erie, or lk O there may be a distinct few.Somewhere.