Waders--breathables or neoprene

Court R

Hey guys, in the maket for a new pair of waders, not sure what ones to get, most of my fishing is in the winter, I have neoprene w/ wadeing boots now, comfortable but a pain putting on. whats my best way to go, places to buy,prices etc.

Thanks

Edited by Court R

For strictly winter fishing I would get boot foot neoprenes.

They keep your feet warmer than the separate wading boots and are easier to put on and take off.

Like these.

But with either lug soles/studs or stabilicers for traction.

Boot Foot Neo Waders

p044494sq02.jpg

Edited by DRIFTER_016

i agree with the neoprene and boot as well but i find the boots tread tends to wear out before the neoprene gets any leaks ( 5 mil) and for this reason im now back into stocking feet with wading boots...hand warmers tucked in the toes of the socks seems to be working great... i havent had cold feet for three weeks now..

Neoprene Waders

(to Green Sleeves)

Alas, my love, it might seem obscene

When I slip into my Neoprenes

'Cause when I wear them out to the stream,

They fit like a giant condom.

Neoprenes are my one desire.

They fit so snug and they keep me dryer

Than my old chest waders or stocking feet,

And they make me feel sexy, my Neoprenes.

When I grab my rod and head for the holes,

To keep from slipping I wear my felt soles.

If you think that fishing sounds quite obscene,

Just wait till I peel on my Neoprenes.

Neoprenes are my one desire

'Cause I'm safe and snug in the bog and mire.

Though they make me sweaty, I'm always ready

To sheathe my body in Neoprene.

Though the river is fertile with fish and beaver,

I practice safe fishing so the stream won't conceive

Of a way to dunk me or soak my jeans.

Yes' I peel on my form-fitting Neoprenes.

They set my soul and my loins on fire.

Fishing dry flies to riffles or nymphs to seams,

I stand erect in my Neoprenes.

For strictly winter fishing I would get boot foot neoprenes.

They keep your feet warmer than the separate wading boots and are easier to put on and take off.

Like these.

But with either lug soles/studs or stabilicers for traction.

Boot Foot Neo Waders

p044494sq02.jpg

Those are the exact waders I wear in the winter, especially when there's not a ton of walking involved and you're standing in ice water all day. Nothing keeps you as warm.

The rest of the year I wear stockingfoot breathables and wading boots.

If you could only have one pair of waders I'd have a look at a pair of bootfoot breathables.

Still light and comfortable, but the attached boots are better in cold weather and you can layer up underneath when it's cold out.

It's not an ideal solution, but if you're only buying one pair that's the way I'd go.

Cabelas, Orvis, LL Bean, etc.. all make good waders with great warranties.

For what it's worth I had some experience with neoprene and trilam in drysuits back when I was diving. Many of us found the neo just too durned bulky and constricting and learned to layer under the trilam. I have spent as long as 40 minutes underwater in 34 degree (1 degree C) water in absolute comfort in my shell (like breathable wader material) wearing a combination of thermal longjohns and some kind of insulated jumpsuit over that. There are lots of products on the market, in fact I still have a set or two of the thermals that I used to wear. The only thermal stuff was the hood, gloves and booties.

I don't think I could ever go to neo waders now.

JF

I don't think I could ever go to neo waders now.

JF

If you're standing in ice water all day long in minus temps and not doing a lot of walking (most of my winter spots fall into that category), nothing will keep you as warm as a pair of 5mm neoprenes with attached insulated boots.

That lesson has been learned the hard way.

If you're standing in ice water all day long in minus temps and not doing a lot of walking (most of my winter spots fall into that category), nothing will keep you as warm as a pair of 5mm neoprenes with attached insulated boots.

That lesson has been learned the hard way.

I'll defer to yer experience, oh learned one. :P

Besides, I fail to understand why any person in full possession of their faculties would wanna stand in an icey creek all day.

JF

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i am still wearing my breathables and i was out in 50 cm of snow, and -15 weather this weekend. with the exception of my fingers, nothing has gotten cold.

i hate the feel of neo waders, and i personally would prefer a proper layered clothing system underneath breathables than wear neo ever again.

i would also prefer to repair a pair of breathables WHEN they inevitably get a hole, as opposed to fumbling with neo repair...

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

i am still wearing my breathables and i was out in 50 cm of snow, and -15 weather this weekend. with the exception of my fingers, nothing has gotten cold.

i hate the feel of neo waders, and i personally would prefer a proper layered clothing system underneath breathables than wear neo ever again.

i would also prefer to repair a pair of breathables WHEN they inevitably get a hole, as opposed to fumbling with neo repair...

If you're doing a lot of hiking then yeah, the stockingfoot breathables are fine in cold weather.

If you're standing in ice water for an extended period your feet will go numb.

Neoprenes have a place.

Also neos are waaaaay easier to repair than breathables. Breathables usually require a patch.

A tiny hole in neos is repaired instantly with aqua seal.

Even large rips are handled easier and the repair is stronger. If you rip neos simply sew the rip shut with a needle and thread and dab on aquaseal.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i think neos have a place too, i just wouldn't ever buy neos as a primary pair of waders... and i fish a region that is far colder in winter than most steelhunters on the page...

and i honestly find breathables to be INCREDIBLY easy to repair... if you invest in entry level gore tex waders, is there anything easier to fix?

the holes are found much easier, then a small dab of aquaseal takes care of them!

i don't know, when i weigh the pros and cons of the two, there's not even any comparison.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

:D:P:lol:

Oh my, that was funny. Thanks for that :)

p.-

Neoprene Waders

(to Green Sleeves)

Alas, my love, it might seem obscene

When I slip into my Neoprenes

'Cause when I wear them out to the stream,

They fit like a giant condom.

They fit so snug and they keep me dryer

Than my old chest waders or stocking feet,

And they make me feel sexy, my Neoprenes.

When I grab my rod and head for the holes,

To keep from slipping I wear my felt soles.

If you think that fishing sounds quite obscene,

Just wait till I peel on my Neoprenes.

Neoprenes are my one desire

'Cause I'm safe and snug in the bog and mire.

Though they make me sweaty, I'm always ready

To sheathe my body in Neoprene.

Though the river is fertile with fish and beaver,

I practice safe fishing so the stream won't conceive

Of a way to dunk me or soak my jeans.

Yes' I peel on my form-fitting Neoprenes.

They set my soul and my loins on fire.

Fishing dry flies to riffles or nymphs to seams,

I stand erect in my Neoprenes.

Trust me, if you are standing in water freezing your ass off all day not moving much neoprene is the way to go.. I have great boots, awesome socks and good quality waders and my feet still freeze in the winter.

I took Mike's advice and ordered a pair of cheap neo's for the winter.. I'll leave the breathables for when I'm hiking/warmer weather.