Humminbird flashers

Jds63

was just wondering if anyone was thinking of purchasing a humminbird flasher for the upcoming hard water season

I have been using Hbird fishfinder 535 for 6 yrs now (summer and winter) , and would like to get the ice 55 for ice fishing

I saw the 45 and 55 at BPS, the 55 is almost $600 ,,, ouch .... saw some listed ebay for around $440 US

not sure if I will spend that kind of money ... yet

last winter i got a chance to use a flasher and i was blown away by the way i was able to distinguish fish

I bought a vex FL-18 last year. Then the humminbird units came out. They look nice but the price was a bit more money. I guess if I didn't already buy the vex I would have considered those units. The only thing is being so new, are all the bugs figured out and how long will they hold up. You know the vex units have stood the test of time. To new to tell so I guess if you have the extra money go for it.

I bought the Humminbird ICE 45 last year and used it about 60 days of ice fishing. How can I put this.... I love it. Hbird brought flasher technology out of the dark ages. They dynamic digital display is the cats-meow. no fiddling with different levels and trying to read different pre-set depth scales to figure out how deep things are. The Hbird 45 and 55 tell you the depth instantly and automatically sets the scale. The display is also large and bright, easy to read. I can't go back to the small displays of the Vex.

One thing you will find is that flasher owners are fiercely loyal to their brand. I've used both Vex and Hbird (can't speak for Markum) but I definitely prefer my Hbird.

I had never owned a flasher before but after some research I settled on the Ice 45. No doubt there will be a learning curve using it but it seems to have all the features I need and is a little cheaper than the Ice 55. I came across this article after buying the unit and it points out what I consider to be some fairly serious shortcomings of the 55 which would also apply to the 45. I know that Humminbird did make some changes over the summer, the most obvious being that the gain now goes from 0-50 instead of 0-25. Keep in mind that the article refers to the 2008 model and hopefully whatever tweaks Humminbird made addresses the problems. Also, the reviewer makes it clear that he is an unabashed Marcum fan so take it for what it's worth.http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/730757/humminbird-ice-55-review

thanks guys I totally understand the loyalty thing .... also the fact that if you are happy with the flasher unit you have why would you want to change

I have had a chance to try the vex's and was impressed, however i like the fact the Hbird comes with dual beam 9 and 9 degree, the cheaper vex's you need to purchase the dual beam transducer which will probably end up around the same price as the Hbird

If anyone is using the Hbird 45 or 55 this winter maybe you can post a video like Limeyangler did with his X67C, his videos are great BTW.

Just love seeing the fish come up to hit the lure on the screen.

If you do get a Hbird... I forgot to mention... DO NOT attach the 'support cable' to the transducer!! This cable is included to avoid patent infringement issues with Vexilar. Basically, the way the support cable attaches, it often causes the transducer to hang 'off-centre' or not level and will cause issues with reading bottom and seeing your lure on the display.

thanks guys I totally understand the loyalty thing .... also the fact that if you are happy with the flasher unit you have why would you want to change

I have had a chance to try the vex's and was impressed, however i like the fact the Hbird comes with dual beam 9 and 9 degree, the cheaper vex's you need to purchase the dual beam transducer which will probably end up around the same price as the Hbird

If anyone is using the Hbird 45 or 55 this winter maybe you can post a video like Limeyangler did with his X67C, his videos are great BTW.

The version of vex I bought has the dual transducer. It's the way to go for sure. Good luck which ever you buy.

One of the features I've seen regarding the Marcum LX5 which looks to make sense is the ability to zoom in on not just the bottom, but anywhere in the water column.

I haven't seen that Vex & Humminbird have the same ability? :dunno:

I've been looking at the Ice-55 compared to the LX5. The main difference in deciding factors looks to be the digital display, or the zoom feature anywhere in the water column.

What do you guys think? :dunno:

I'mHooked

One of the features I've seen regarding the Marcum LX5 which looks to make sense is the ability to zoom in on not just the bottom, but anywhere in the water column.

I haven't seen that Vex & Humminbird have the same ability? :dunno:

I've been looking at the Ice-55 compared to the LX5. The main difference in deciding factors looks to be the digital display, or the zoom feature anywhere in the water column.

What do you guys think? :dunno:

I'mHooked

You can put the zoom anywhere you want in the water column with a bird. 6 feet with a fl18 and 6-12 feet with the fl20. With 90% of the fish within 12 feet of bottom the zoom anywhere is nice but not a neccesity.

LOL...i wasn't gonna chime in cuz i feel like a Lowrance salesman sometimes.... i think Ben is onto something with the feirce loyalty thing....the debates and rages i've seen people get into about which brand (the vex guys are the most fiercly loyal...or should i say they seem to get 'vexed' very easily....lol).

I'm glad you liked the video...wasn't good enuff to persuade you to get one?

Cheers

Simon

with regards to zoom. The bottom say 5 feet or less is really where you need it. If a fish is holding close to the bottom the zoom can help show if in fact it is fish or not. To zoom say mid water column or higher is really not needed because nothing can really hide when it suspends so to be able to zoom anywhere in the water column is really not needed.

with regards to zoom. The bottom say 5 feet or less is really where you need it. If a fish is holding close to the bottom the zoom can help show if in fact it is fish or not. To zoom say mid water column or higher is really not needed because nothing can really hide when it suspends so to be able to zoom anywhere in the water column is really not needed.

Makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

Does anyone have any insight or an argument as to why they would use the zoom in the water column and not just the bottom? :dunno:

Does anyone have any insight or an argument as to why they would use the zoom in the water column and not just the bottom? :dunno:

My guess is to differentiate what kind of fish -- school of shad, big lunker, etc. Either way, I see where your thinking comes from but there may be more use from the zoom function than originally thought.

Keep in mind that the article refers to the 2008 model and hopefully whatever tweaks Humminbird made addresses the problems. Also, the reviewer makes it clear that he is an unabashed Marcum fan so take it for what it's worth.http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/730757/humminbird-ice-55-review

I read through this review. It is quite informative...for the kind of review it is.

One bit of information I found interesting was about the 'crystal' which is the component in the transducer that emits the sonar signal.

He noted the Marcum as being a TRUE dual beam transducer, as it has 2 crystals, 1 for each frequency, whereas the Humminbird only has 1 crystal and utilizes it for both beams which makes the wide angle beam produced from the 'secondary' signal not as high a quality signal as the 'primary' signal for the narrow beam. :dunno:

He related to signal challenges on the wide angle beam at certain depths and not getting as clear an image as a true dual beam (2 crystals) like the Marcum.

Food for thought. :blink:

I bought the Hbird 45 last winter and I really enjoy having it. But I believe I would enjoy any of them. Even if the fish don't hit, the chase is very entertaining and helps pass the time on slow days. It also shows how the fish react to your lure so you can change up if they fail to bite. That in itself is worth the money. The narrow beam is certainly stronger for deeper water but falls short of the Vexlar and the Marcum. After 80 fow only large spoons and heavy jigging lures(Raps a Badboys) will show on the screen. Small lures and soft lures(tubes) do not show making it hard to play the fish into a hit. I have used the lowest Vex (fl-8?)a few times and it is very sensitive and has a strong signal well past 100 fow. The variable zoom is great but I do only use it down at the bottom. I did catch more fish with it but if I was to buy again it wouldn't be a Hbird.

Edited by Skud

Makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

because fish can suspend. i have caught crappie 3 ft down over 20 ft of water.

having a 10 ft zoom is more important to me though. i find if you can pull the fish up to your lure, perch especially you will keep the school active and around your hole longer. i hated my x67 ice machine and got rid of it, too many interferance problems from other sonars in the area. my hbird 757c works far better on the ice then the x67, and it gives my marcum problems with interference but i can ir it out. i use my lx3 before my 757 because it feels easier to fish with, it is just a personal thing.

Edited by dwc67

I bought the Hbird 45 last winter and I really enjoy having it. But I believe I would enjoy any of them. Even if the fish don't hit, the chase is very entertaining and helps pass the time on slow days. It also shows how the fish react to your lure so you can change up if they fail to bite. That in itself is worth the money. The narrow beam is certainly stronger for deeper water but falls short of the Vexlar and the Marcum. After 80 fow only large spoons and heavy jigging lures(Raps a Badboys) will show on the screen. Small lures and soft lures(tubes) do not show making it hard to play the fish into a hit. I have used the lowest Vex (fl-8?)a few times and it is very sensitive and has a strong signal well past 100 fow. The variable zoom is great but I do only use it down at the bottom. I did catch more fish with it but if I was to buy again it wouldn't be a Hbird.

did you remove the support cable? I've marked my swivel in 60 FOW with my 45. If you're not marking your bait, it's not the unit's fault... it's set up wrong. Also make sure the transducer is below the bottom of the ice.

good info from everyone, thanks

it's done ... picked up the ice 45 from Gagnon's .... on sale

now just the need the ice ..... i'll let you know if it increases my catch percentage

Its gonna increase the amount of fish you catch 100 per cent.

you are gonna love it....you will never fish without one again.

ENJOY....NOW BRING ON THE ICE

did you remove the support cable? I've marked my swivel in 60 FOW with my 45. If you're not marking your bait, it's not the unit's fault... it's set up wrong. Also make sure the transducer is below the bottom of the ice.

The support cable pops off once in awhile but I always make sure it is hanging properly and below the ice. My machine also marks a small swivel very well at 60 fow with the wide beam but after that the quality really drops off. The narrow beam marks well to 80 fow and then stops marking soft baits and small spoons. It is a good machine and I know how to adjust the settings so it is at it's peak performance in different depths and situations but the Vex is more sensitive/stronger. I researched all the ice machines available and made an educated choice on quality, features and price. I will keep it until it dies (which may take over 20 years). Just wish I had bought one 10 years ago.