my hunting season

walleyejigger

well my hunting season has pretty much come to an end,

started off the season with a few days partridge hunting just south of timmins, numbers were good but not great, managed to get a few feeds for the freezer, next came moose season in the same area, were only 4ppl. so...... no tags for us, (they only gave 38 in the entire unit) we did have a great time a seen plenty of moose, but no calves, one evening i came within stones throwing distance from 3 cows for 25 minutes, tried to take photos and videos but they didnt turn out too well in the low light, it was bitterly cold out there a few days, we had 2, minus 14 mornings and some snow as well, the morning we left for home we had 8" of fresh stuff to pack in. THat followed by a couple of crazy, long weeks at work. Then came deer season, as usuall i worked the first week so a coworker could do his hunt, then we switched for the second week.

I went in bright and early after my shift sunday night. Got to camp and the 3 guys who had been there the previous week had only seen 1 deer. Hopefully i would bring them luck. By the time we left early friday morning we managed to see 4 more deer. Very slow compared to last year. Almost 2 weeks of hunting and we saw 5 deer and only got one shot, we also seen 6 moose(Last year we seen a bunch and 5 of us got 5 deer.) We attributed the slow hunting to all the water in the area, which is not normal. The deer seemed to be going around us to avoid the all the water.

On wednesday morning i decided to take a walk in an old trail about 1 km from camp, as i got to the end, now 4.5kms from camp i put up 3 deer, all i seen was the tails of 2 taking off one way(no shot), and heard another weezing the other way, decided to track the 2 as they seemd to be heading towards the road, about 10mins into stealth mode i caught up to them again but only to see the nightmarish white flashes agian (no shot). One hour and thirty-five minutes later i caught up to them again, this time one of them standing broadside to me about 80 yds away in some hardwoods. Could only see parts of it between the trees but I took one well placed shot. I let the lead fly and it dropped like a bag of bricks, got him at the base of the neck,and in my peripherals saw the other bounce away. Turns out it dropped about 100' from the road, (thank goodness) alot better than the couple of km's from where i first seen them. I got our only deer of the season, a small spike, so small i had to use my antlerless tag on it. Oh well it's better than nothing.

Butchered it this morning and had some ribs for lunch, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tasty,

can't wait for next year

IMG_2028.jpg

also tracked this bunny for a litle while one morning, it was being chased by a wolverine, 3 years in a row i see a wolverine in our area (wmu 47)

IMG_2025.jpg