Rapala R-Type Casting Reel?

MCTFisher9120

Was holding one of these baby's today and almost bought it. Very, very sweet looking reel and for the price I might just get it.

Opinions or feedback from this beaut, I don't think I have seen it beore cept today.

Link:

http://www.rapala.ca/products/rapala/rtype_cast.php

Think I found my baby,

MTBF

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

buddy i worked with this summer was a rapala rep... he go a bunch of the rods, the r-type, ts2 series and so on. and a few of the Avantis reels . he hated them.... now im not sure if they have improved them in 4 months but... he burned that drag out on one and another one berings started to grind only a day later both within 2 weeks of getting them... so if the r-type reels are anything like the avantis id stay away...sorry for the bad news lol

Edited by pikeie

Lots of buzz about this reel from industry people. Was told by the guys at Lebarons to watch out for this soon. Again I'd be very interested in where you saw it and what the retail $ was.

For those that clicked the link to the Rapala site, the R-Reels are available in both spinning and baitcasting. Click the spinning reel icon top right hand corner of the screen.

I've tried both of them. The spinning reel seemed quite tight, but solid, (it was brand new), and the only question mark I had was that the bail spring seemed very light.

I didn't fish the baitcaster for as long, but I loved how it felt. Very smooth.

They were both on R-type rods, which I really liked. The medium action spinning rod would work for me, because the tip is a little stiffer, which allowed for fishing heavier baits that I would with my present spinning gear.

I want to check out the Abu Vendetta rods before I buy one, though.

I was impressed with rapala rods from when they first came out...long cast and tournament series were both good to me...most people probably only see the cheap crap walmart carries....

basically the short versiou of the story I've heard from the local shop owner is that rapala is developing a reputation for stealing or copying technology and then selling at a lower price point....the new r type rods sure feel pretty sharp but I'd personally still wait to hear how the reels make it through a season or two

• 2 years later...

Had to dig up this old post. Does anyone know how good Rapala's warranty is?

I've developed two problems with the reel now:

1.) Sometimes when I am reeling with a fish on, the anti-reverse lock doesn't kick in and when the fish runs, I'm left with a bad birds nest (and lost fish!).

2.) I was casting my 3/8oz jig head and the bearing cover came off, despite having it locked. Something must've come undone...it happened too fast. One moment, the reel is in one piece, the second moment, the bearing cover is on the ground.

I purchased the bait casting reel a year ago, but I've lost the receipt. Anyone know what the chances are in getting a warranty claim with no receipt?

I haven't caught any fish over 2lbs with this setup (the reel is paired with their one-piece R-type rod), so I can't imagine the reel being over worked/fished.

Thanks.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

I gave Lebarons a ring and they provided me the contact number for Rapala. They don't seem to want the reel back with or without the receipt. lol

I will give them a ring on Monday to see what can be arranged. I just wasn't sure if I should have returned the reel to Lebarons or deliver the reel to Rapala.

ecmilley->A few people have mentioned the reels being cheaply made. I'm still on the fence about that. I also bought their R-Type spinning reel, which I've had no problems with at all and in fact really enjoy fishing that reel. The bait casting reel is of a different beast. On paper, the specs are great and along with the price, should be a winner. I definitely do enjoy using the R-Type casting rod though.

I'll keep you guys updated when I get in touch with Rapala.

CTC in Barrie has stupid crazy reels and some are great prices

this reel costs 129.99 which is about $20 cheaper than I can find online

http://www.google.ca/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/new_product/QESSCR-1.jpg&sa=X&ei=BlAKUK3xOK-26QHS1e33CQ&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEg2_CXbO39ZC9hLs74jkL2F68dUw