can't catch a steelhead :(

fishinguypat

hey back off i clearly said "i know a lot about steelheading" doesn't mean i'm good at it. i would have put "i am good at steelheading"

What a loving bunch we have here.. :rolleyes:

Keep at it and eventually you'll get your reward.

I've been to one of the most popular places for steelhead 3 days in a row and hooked into one.

Yesterday i was floating a drift and one came up and slammed my bobber. Snapped it in half lol. Aggressive fish for the lose.....

I saw some other guy hook into one, then he got a phone call and decided to answer it instead of fighting the fish. And he lost it :)

Other than that, I haven't had any action. I've lost alot of spinners. :(

uh oh! thems are fightin' words!

Hee Hee Hee :thumbsup_anim:

hey back off i clearly said "i know a lot about steelheading" doesn't mean i'm good at it. i would have put "i am good at steelheading"

Hey, you back off pal! Everyone is supposed to get mad at me in these threads, not each other!

Jim

naw i know quite a bit about steelheading... i just can't seen to catch a rainbow...i have caught salmon the last 10 years browns the past few ...but no steel

Snagging doesnt count,...dude if you can catch a brown Legit,..you should catch rainbows/steelhead in your sleep. Knitting is not a bad passtime either :) Lol

Edited by StoneFly

I have been trying the last three years with a float and havent caught one I ve caught them with other means but the float and bag evades me guys will catch on either side of me and I still get pooched Ill keep banging away not particularly my style of fishing but hey when I do go out I get to watch the sun come up so its all good as for suggestions I havent got a clue

BM

everyone at work say browns are as easy to catch as salmon but steelhead are a whole other story...one man at my work went to owen sound during aa snow storm and caught 8 steelhead last year...i'll eventually go fishing with this guy!

Getting a salmon to hit in the river is alot harder than getting a steelhead to hit. Lining isn't getting a salmon to hit.

No offence FGP, but why not just keep fishing til you get one rather than posting about not getting one and opening yourself up to criticism?

Niagara is a big river with a lot of fish(steelhead) and a lot of productive spots, maybe you should go try that. There's no secrets to steelheading and I've seen more helpful info thrown at you by generous folks on this board than I've seen given out to many.

Your only solution is time on the water/river, not online.

No offence FGP, but why not just keep fishing til you get one rather than posting about not getting one and opening yourself up to criticism?

Niagara is a big river with a lot of fish(steelhead) and a lot of productive spots, maybe you should go try that. There's no secrets to steelheading and I've seen more helpful info thrown at you by generous folks on this board than I've seen given out to many.

Your only solution is time on the water/river, not online.

+1

This FGP is on all the forums either whining or complaining about steelhead fishing. No one said it was easy. Go out everyday you can. Experience will be your biggest help. Getting tips on here from all these generous people is great, but now go put them to use. Talk to fisherman as well, it also helps a lot.

My very first year last year, I caught two on my first trip, then didnt catch anymore in the next 25 trips maybe. It happens to all of us. But this year I have landed 10 already, in the few times I have been out.

Hit as in taking your bait, not lining or snagging. Never said salmon don't hit in rivers, I said it's harder to get them to hit versus steelhead. They aren't feeding like fall steelhead so getting them to hit will be harder. I did not say it's impossible.

Edited by TobascoCat

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

curiosity, patience, and being humble will get you very far in your search for steel... there's some VERY knowledgeable anglers on here who will sometimes share info if you are these three things.

arrogance, stubborness etc. will get you the skunk.

see laz's thread and you'll see how to get help (not that you need any right?)