Ice Season Soon

Fishnwire

The snow and ice are coming. If you're like me, you've started thinking about the hard water, and maybe doing so is getting you a little "hard".

I was going through a card of pics I took last winter and thought I'd post a couple. Looking at them has got me stoked a little bit and I was hoping to spread the fever. Check 'em out.

Here's what the road into camp looked like a couple of weeks ago. It's all melted now, but at the time it really got my winter motor running.

IMG_1626.jpg

Between where this road ends and the camp there's a little over 3 km of quad trail with about a million boulders on it. I need a good foot and a half of snow to cover them up before we can get the snow machines in. We've got the quads for now, but there's usually 2-4 weeks while the creeks freeze between when you can use the bikes and when you can use the sleds. I call that "wife time". She gets the same attention in the spring while I'm waiting for the reverse to happen. I know what you're thinking...I spoil her.

Here's a few of pics I took last winter up river from the camp...Its coming, boys!

IMG_1075-1.jpg

IMG_1077-1.jpg

IMG_1091-1.jpg

IMG_1112-2.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

Here's what I look at when I'm fishing for crappie on the french. I put two rods down 4-8 feet apart and watch one while I jig the other. I go back and forth between the two but find I often get a hit on the rod I just stopped jigging on. They seem to know which rod I'm further away from.

IceRods2-2.jpg

IceRods5-1.jpg

This is the sight we all love to see, a tip up with it's flag tripped. I called my father-in-law to take it and in the time it took him to get there I took this pic. I won't lie to you...he missed it.

90sport.jpg

This is me with a little jack. I hope he's bigger now.

IMG_1123-2.jpg

Here's another small pike I got at the same spot. There's also a pic of me letting him. I was alone and that's the camera strap in the way. I never claimed to be any good at taking pics.

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

Finally here's a pic of me with a decent pike I got on the French River two years ago. It used to be my profile pic because I borrowed that hat off my buddy and think its super-cool. Can you blame me?

IMG_0473-1.jpg

Well I hope that got some of you in the mood for the stiff stuff. This year I'm going to modify my tip ups by using egg sinkers instead of split shots for weight ( they'll fall to the bottom and allow free spoll with no resistance when a fish strikes) and I'm also going to try much smaller trebles than I've been using. Check out the article on tip-ups in this year's In-Fisherman ice fishing special. That's what I'm talking about.

Good attempt at getting us psyched up for the hard water fishing but for me it didn't work....I'm still longing for those warm summer nights of top water fishing for smallies to return. Good try though....Thanks!

P.S. You are right about one thing though...that is a super-cool hat!

Very nice pics, really like the one of the juv pike, probably best pic I've seen of that barred appearance that throws a lot of people off in fish ID. Never got into the whole ice fishing thing, gave it more than a few tries, if I want to fish in the cold I can hit up the Niagara River.