Brown Trout Question

StoneFly

So I havent caught too many brownies, not even too many smolts,...but I caught 2 today and they looked VERy different.

brownie.jpg

This one looks almost like a rainbow/Brown cross or do they normally look that way when they are this small.?

littlebrown.jpg

I found some Bigger ones hiding under logs,....

log-brown.jpg

And Of course the shaker Rainbow...

Nov-6.jpg

Tried Frog hair for the first time and lost 2 in the 8-10lb range,...back to Drennan it is...lol

^^ i second billm, i do know that a couple of our water sheds have been recently stocked with atlantic juvi's so that second one could very well be an atlantic juvi. only way to tel for sure would be the tail, forked - atlantic and square would be a brownie!

The first one is a mature fish, the second one still has par marks, those vertical bars on the sides. There is a difference in the maturity of the 2 fish. Young rainbows also exhibit the same par marks before they smolt and migrate to the lakes.

Edited by dave524

Both fish are brown trout.

Fish are no different than humans, in that there can be considerable variation in their physical appearance. Some are thicker, some are thinner, some have more or less pigmentation (aka skin colouration), and where some people may have minor differences in their eye colour, trout may have minor differences in their spotting patterns. You see two guys standing side-by-side fishing, and one's short, fat and bald while his buddy is tall, skinny and hairy as a Golden Retriever. Guess what? They're both the same species.

Same deal with these two fish. Just one is a little hairier than the other one.

Dave's point is also well taken. There is clearly an age difference between those two fish.

For what it's worth, the most fool-proof way to tell a brown from an Atlantic is to look inside its mouth. Atlantic salmon always have a thin, pointy tongue that looks almost spear-like, where browns always have a flat, squared tongue that looks more like a thumb nail with teeth on it. Things like colour, shape and spotting patterns are highly variable. The tongue is not.

is trout still open? i thought it was closed in sept? not complainin just want in on the action

some areas have an extended season, and a few have year round. Check the regs for specifics.

I'm trying to get in on the action too but I keep batting .000

Both fish are brown trout.

Fish are no different than humans, in that there can be considerable variation in their physical appearance. Some are thicker, some are thinner, some have more or less pigmentation (aka skin colouration), and where some people may have minor differences in their eye colour, trout may have minor differences in their spotting patterns. You see two guys standing side-by-side fishing, and one's short, fat and bald while his buddy is tall, skinny and hairy as a Golden Retriever. Guess what? They're both the same species.

Same deal with these two fish. Just one is a little hairier than the other one.

Dave's point is also well taken. There is clearly an age difference between those two fish.

For what it's worth, the most fool-proof way to tell a brown from an Atlantic is to look inside its mouth. Atlantic salmon always have a thin, pointy tongue that looks almost spear-like, where browns always have a flat, squared tongue that looks more like a thumb nail with teeth on it. Things like colour, shape and spotting patterns are highly variable. The tongue is not.

How can you say these fish are both brown trout and then go on to say the best way to tell is to look at the tongue?

I cant see the tongue.. :dunno:

The second fish is a rainbow...

Nice fish Stonefly.

Both fish are browns. Like Dave524 mentioned, they look like different age classes. Earlier this spring I caught a bunch of juvenile brown trout smolts with the typical parr markings while fishing for the bigger resident trout.

Here's one

P1010110.jpg

Craig makes a good point, it is much better to use specific characteristics to ID fish, rather than things that can change...like colour, jaw shape, etc.

Atlantics have a thin caudal peduncle (part where you hold when tailing fish) and slightly forked tail

Browns have thick, juicy caudal peduncles and square tails.

Rainbows always have a black edge to their adipose fin (if it hasn't been clipped haha), almost like someone oulined it with a Sharpie :)

rainbow_id.jpg

Tony