I finally did the hunter's safety ed course.

wuchikubo

The course was an one day course at an instructor's house. The OFAH website has many courses posted for different areas.

My course was 8am to 7pm with the exam. I would say it's not really hard unless you have the mentality that you are thinking to shoot everything in sight or anything out of sight that moves. It did go over some firearm safety items which I didn't really find any interest in but it was good to know just in case.

PM me if you want my instructor's info (located in Stouffville).

Stan

Thanks. I'll check out the OFAH site.

that is because they are nearly an exact copy of excalibur crossbows and they stole the design rather than paying to make up their own ;)

Well, if that is true, why are they faster, have more power, and use a different limb technology? Excalibur tried to sue them for pattent infringement and lost. It may look similar but IMHO it is a better product!

Alright, since I like the fact Excalibur is Canadian and there are so many good comments so far, I have one further question, the difference I see in fps is 25 more the Vortex, does that make any significant difference in the field? I've been told I would likely be looking at about 30 yards max for the distance from shooting point to target. For about $200 difference is it worth the higher speed?

I have 2 Excalibur crossbows. Never had a problem, just a string change you can do yourself. They're 12 and 10 years old respectively and still shooting like day one. About 25 fps. difference between them, but they both have plenty of power to take game within 40 yards. Most of the game I shoot are at 10 yards or less with the furthest being being about 25 yards. Bolts go right through a deer most times.

I have 2 Excalibur crossbows. Never had a problem, just a string change you can do yourself. They're 12 and 10 years old respectively and still shooting like day one. About 25 fps. difference between them, but they both have plenty of power to take game within 40 yards. Most of the game I shoot are at 10 yards or less with the furthest being being about 25 yards. Bolts go right through a deer most times.

Are you planning to sell one of your crossbows?

I also plan to take up hunting with a crossbow. The initial question is just right up my alley. I can only hunt moose in my area and the bowhunting season is far nicer than the rifle season. Since we have to be 2 hunters for moose....which is a pain since my buddies no longer go hunting, I will probably go south to go deer hunting. I'm not a serious hunter, I just like to go hunting and camping alone. Shooting anything will just be the cherry on the icing.

Is using a scope on a crossbow a good idea? I would think that a good sight would be just as good and make the crossbow lighter. I have no idea as to what a good crossbow and accessories will cost.

CAUTION: you really do need the rack/quiver to hold your extra bolts, one with a hood protecting the broadheads or rather protecting you from the razor sharp edges. More than a few hunters have received self inflicted wounds from them accidently.

No matter what the fps your best advice is to practice with whatever you get as often as possible. My son and I go under a bridge on the railway to simulate being in a tree stand and shooting downward because the downward angle is different. Read your last Ontario out of Doors mag for those details. Practice practice practice.

I have an Excaliber Vortex and I upscaled the scope abit. I use the cocking aid religiously as this ensures a consistant pull everytime. I also protect that scope so it doesn't get a jolt while traveling through the bush.

Ten point is also a crossbow made in Canada according to the merchant in Port Colbourne. It can't be dryfired. To my knowledge neither ten point or excaliber use nocks.

Since I bought my excal I've filled my tags and with the perfect shot. I'd never pull the trigger otherwise.

I've been out deer hunting so I've been away from this topic.

My advice would be twofold:

1) To echo other comments here, I would absolutely NOT do without a quiver. It keeps the bolts handy for a second shot (when mounted on the bow), it's a good storage device for them when not hunting, it keeps the broadheads protected and sharp, and it prevents you cutting yourself on them.

2) Hunting without a red-dot sight certainly can work, but be prepared sooner or later for a legal-light shot that you can't take because you can't see the pins. Get a red-dot.

Get a red-dot.

IMO, I would not go with a red dot.I have used one for two years.I now use the trueglo scope.Sited in for 10,20 30 and 40 yards.At very low light(legal still) I can see much better with the new scope even the crosshairs, then I could with the red dot. Another draw back.You could forget to turn the scope off,then when your up in your tree,theres no red dot.Battery is dead.

IMO, I would not go with a red dot.I have used one for two years.I now use the trueglo scope.Sited in for 10,20 30 and 40 yards.At very low light(legal still) I can see much better with the new scope even the crosshairs, then I could with the red dot. Another draw back.You could forget to turn the scope off,then when your up in your tree,theres no red dot.Battery is dead.

Trueglo could very well be an option. I'm not familiar with it. Thing is, it sounds like it's also a low-light alternative to pins, which I would avoid.

You don't have to worry much about batteries in a red dot, Bushnell anyway, which is what I've got. I just came back from a deer hunt where I used a red dot on my Browning BLR .308 too.

I used mine one day, forgot to turn it off overnight and used it the next day. It was on for about 34 hours straight and the dot was still bright.

I tested the battery life once by leaving it on and it went 48 hrs and was still bright. You can tell when the battery power is getting low because the dot will get dimmer; it doesn't suddenly go out.

I replace my battery as a matter of course after every two full days of hunting (I leave it on all the time, morning to night). The 2032 batteries it uses I can buy at Dollarama for $1 for a 3-pak. Six days of hunting costs me $1.

They're only the size of a quarter, so I always keep a couple of spare batteries in my pocket when out in the field.

Trueglo could very well be an option. I'm not familiar with it. Thing is, it sounds like it's also a low-light alternative to pins, which I would avoid.

The scope gives a bright and clear sight.

For those that hunt weekends and leave the light on(red dot) it will be out.

Why bother with a battery, when you can get all you need from the Truglo.

Thanks Terry.

Jocko,how many dots do you have in yours? 3?

Edited by misfish

Why bother with a battery, when you can get all you need from the Truglo.

You mean this one? (see attachment)..........

... looks like the same 2032 battery.

For those that hunt weekends and leave the light on(red dot) it will be out.

Incorrect. If you turn on the Bushnell red dot on Saturday morning and leave it on, it will still be bright by the time you finish hunting on Sunday.

truglo.JPG

You mean this one? (see attachment)..........

... looks like the same 2032 battery.

Incorrect. If you turn on the Bushnell red dot on Saturday morning and leave it on, it will still be bright by the time you finish hunting on Sunday.

Wrong scope.

http://www.eders.com/products/truglo-4x32-...ings-black.html

I was talking about hunting sat/sun,then returning the weekend after.

Edited by misfish

Wrong scope.

It's a Truglo scope. (?)

I was talking about hunting sat/sun,then returning the weekend after.

Well it would serve someone right. Then again we're talking about an easily replaceable battery that costs, what, 40 cents? Somehow I don't see a problem here. ;)

I already said Truglo could be a good option and wasn't trying to "outsell" you, just giving detail about what a red dot is really like to use.