Where does the term angler come from?

Daplumma

I'm no expert but I think it has something to do with the angle of the fishing line and how it appears to change its direction when submerged in the water??? Perhaps it's also a reference to the angle one holds a fishing rod while fishing??? Great question! Hopefully someone has the correct answer around here cause I've often wondered that myslef.

Corn Nug

: It's because the angler angles. To angle, meaning to fish, comes from a Middle English noun "angel" (pronounced to rhyme with dangle), which simply means a fish-hook.

Check out an ancient (1600s) book by Julianne Burners titled "The Art of Fishing wiht an Angle" and you will find the angle actually refers to the angle between the pole and the line. This is an important aspect of fishing with ancient equipment. Modern poles and drag reels make it somewhat less crucial.

well this seems to be the answer....went to www.ask.com

Edited by fishindevil

"I remember reading somewhere that the term "angler" comes from the fact that the fish-hook used to be called the "angle", so someone who uses an angle is an angler. Now you'll have to ask where the origin of the word "angle" is!"

setomonkey has got it right. Back when the term was coined rudimentary fishing hooks were bent at a 45 degree angle and resembled the leter "V" thus, fish hooks were known as angles and fishermen as anglers. And on a somewhat unrelated note the term "splitshot", which was coined around the same time, was derived from the action of navle offisers using a knife to cut a notch in lead musket round inorder to use it to weight their lines.

Angling is a term that has been used for many years now. I think the term "angler" comes from the far east where the fishermen in the early 1500s (or so) were of the Anglitians tribe. They would spend their days on the water fishing to feed the tribe. These were some of the first people to use a rod rather than nets so that separated them from the fishermen who used nets. Thus the term "angler" was born.

Man this is a long winter

my 2 cents

2many

Looks like the majority of websources come back to things that relate to the bend of the hook.

Angling is a form of fishing. It is often used synonymously with the terms sport fishing and recreational fishing, although subtle semantic distinctions exist among the three terms[citation needed]. Specifically, angling is the practice of catching fish by means of an "angle" (hook). The hook is usually attached by a line to a fishing rod. A bite indicator such as a float is sometimes, but not always, used. Frequently, the rod is outfitted with a fishing reel that functions as a mechanism for storing, retrieving and paying out the line. The hook can be dressed with lures or bait. Generally, angling is thought of, principally, as a method of sport fishing but some commercial fisheries use methods which are quite similar.

http://www.answers.com/topic/angling

Angling

The act, process, or art of fishing with a hook and line and usually a rod.