Fishing Line Issues

laszlo

My entire life I've been using 10lb mono. Recently I decided to try switching over to fluorcarbon main line instead.

This year I fished the rivers a lot more where there are plenty of sticks, logs and rocks to get caught up on or for my

line to rub up against.

The main line I went with is Seaguar's 10lb AbrazX Main Line. Yes the strength is great and the knots tie very will but my

casting distance seems drasticly less and the amount of knots I'm getting are at an all time high. I know I have the right amount of line

on my reel so that's not the problem. Even the sound of the line coming off my real as I cast sounds rough.

I would say 60% of my fishing is jigging tubes and the rest is just straight reeling in spinners and rapala's. Seems to happen regardless

of the method.

Any help would be great. I've used it twice now and am already down to half of the line on my spool because of knots.

Mono would last me almost an entire summer of fishing once every couple weeks.

Not sure if I should switch back to mono or try another brand of fluorocarbon???

Thanks a million.

Laszlo

Edited by laszlo

I have used mono for the most part all of my life. Very early some braided nylon, dacron and very limited use of the newer braids(superlines). Mostly original Stren since about 1973, it works for me, very few problems with it on baitcasters or spinning reels. Mostly 8-20 pound test, mostly somewhere in between 10-17.

Primarily a bass fisherman, targets, fishing junk, slop, wood, rocks, any sort of cover, edges. It has served me well. Changing line doesn`t scare me though, back when I was fishing heavy a 2400 yard spool of 10-12 pound test and one of 17 pound test usually got me thru a season or two.

If there are zebra mussels in your area, they like rocks and such as much as fish they will cut up any line. I have used Berkley Vanish, for me a situation line, tough bite line, play the game. No problems with it, but it doesn`t hold up as well fishing rocky areas. The braid? Again a situation line, don`t like to go over 20 pound test mono on any of my reels, LOL feels like rope. The braid just doesn`t feel like rope but is stronger, a better choice when you fish for skis and such.

Find a line you are comfortable using and stick with it? Most of my line experiments have gone poorly, er, Prime.

I've heard flouro is a bit stiffer and prone to tangling than mono. Personally I just use it as a leader on braids.

I use the same set up: 15lb power pro and I buy a spool of seagur flouro and use it as a leader (I don't bother with the specific leader material unless I'm trout fishing). This works great for me, and I use similar techniques as you mentioned. Though I should mention you will spend a bit more time tying on fluoro leaders if you get snagged. If you use a good swivel it can help with line twist cutting down on the knots and tangels.

One thing you can do is to tie the flouro leader onto swivels and then wrapping them around an empty spool. Then if you break your leader of just tie on a pre-made leader.

Sounds like you are fishing light yet using heavy line. I consider 10 lb test line a heavy line for spinning reels. I've been fishing for close to 60 years and the heaviest mono I have ever used as a main line was 8 lb test (Original Clear Stren, Clear Trilene XL and Royal Bonyl). Yes, I did use Stren and Trilene in fluorescent clear blue but they deteriorate faster than the clear lines. Anyway, I hate losing lures and I rarely loose any. I also rarely use metal leaders and very few pike have cut my lines here in Quebec over the many years I have been fishing for walleye.

For the past 40 years, I have been using 4 and 6 lb mono for walleye and the number of pike that have cut my line has not increased however, I do lose a couple more jigs per season with the lighter lines.

I don't like fluorocarbon at all. The fact that it sinks is one of the many reasons I don't like it for any kind of fishing. I like the way that mono is more bouyant and this means that my jigs leave the bottom with a more vertical jump and therefore do not snag up as often. Braid and fusion lines like Fireline float better than mono. This does reduce snagging on the bottom with jigs. Where I fish, many of the rivers were used for floating lumber so the bottoms of these waterways are littered with logs. When fishing these waters, I often use 6 to 10 lb Fireline and I rarely lose a jig when using the stuff.

If you want strength, long casts, sensitivity etc.....use 6 to 10 lb Fireline. On top of that, the line does not deteriorate so you will save money too. Use a Palomar knot but do a double granny knot when tying it. If the line frays too much....just cut back a couple of inches. The fraying does not weaken the line very much. Lure action will be much better with finer line too.

Edited by Dabluz

Ive never used Fluoro, but have used mono quite often. All I can say is that mono companies are funny. I usually test lines out before buying with a simple overhand knot. If it breaks easy, she goes back on the shelf. You would think trilene would be that premiere line but more often than not I find they cant hold a knot that well. But they must make about a dozen brands. When I do test my lines on my reels and find that they dont hold a knot, I will try another knot. Clinch, to the Palomar and if it doesn't work, the double clinch knot. Ive done that often for my 4lb test lines. Then again, lines will rot. I used to buy Daiwa Crystal till CT stopped selling it. Haven't seen that stuff since. I find the Spiderwire OK especially for the price. The other lines though depends on the strengths etc. You just got to test them. Try it, you would be surprised trying the knot test how some hold up, others dont.

Edited by holdfast

Yep....used Daiwa Crystal for ice fishing.....good line. Spiderwire....even the stuff sold in bulk for 10 dollars at CT is very decent line too. Both lines are very clear and are just as invisible as fluorocarbon in the water. When going on fishing trips, I always bring a bulk spool of 8 or 10 lb Spiderwire in case anyone needs some line. I use the stuff for brook trout shore fishing in the Saguenay river. I add a 4 to 7 foot length via a small swivel to my braided line and toss out my baits (we are allowed 3 baits) with a bell sinker on the end of the leader. I make fresh leaders for every outing. The 1 to 2 ounce bell sinker is attached to the leader with a short length of 4 lb test mono because the bottom of the river is littered with rocks and the sinker gets snagged up very often.

I use snell knots, dropper loops, clinch knots, perfection loops etc when making these mono leaders and both of these "so called cheap" lines work great.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i still use plain ol' berkley trilene xl in 8 lb test for my spinning gear. if you want fluoro just use it as a leader. it's cheaper and you can still have the fishability of mono...

What you are using is not fluoro, it's a hybrid. None of the so called "fluorocarbon" mainlines are any good imo. Not supple enough, and more importantly any tiny nick and they'll likely break..

Just another gimmick.

It has zero benefits over standard monofilament.

As far as true 100% fluorocarbon goes it's fantastic as a leader material.

Edit: I answered your question without checking..apparantly AbrazX is 100% fluoro.

I don't think it's possible to have 100% fluoro that's actually supple which is what they claim.

In any case I'd either stick with what's worked for you before or try using Power Pro with a fluoro leader.

Edited by solopaddler

I tried seaguar invisx as mainline last year and I lost my casting distance and lots of tangles as mentioned above.

This year I've been using braid tied to floro as my setup. I'm getting tired of tying uniknots etc so I'm probably going to try some fireline crystal as my mainline and not use a leader. I'm probably wasting my time with floro in the dirty waters I fish around here anyhow.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm giving Florocarbon one last shot as my main line but fear it may be a big mistake. If so...back to Mono for sure with a Floro leader.

I hope this doesn't make this weekend an up hill battle.

Edited by laszlo

One thing I do with flouro is let it sit on the spool for a few days. It seems to fit the spool better after a few days and handle easier.

95% of my fishing is Spider Thread Braid XPS BPS Flouro with a triple surgeons knot, the only mono is leaders for top water poppers.

Garnet

I'm giving Florocarbon one last shot as my main line but fear it may be a big mistake. If so...back to Mono for sure with a Floro leader.

I hope this doesn't make this weekend an up hill battle.

Please give us a report after your outing.

I did some stretch tests with a couple of fluorocarbon lines and a good handful of monos.....all of the same lb test. Ok, the tests were very simple.....I just used 3 foot lengths of line and added weights to the end of the lines and measured the difference. Stretch lengths were similar. Ok....Berkley XL had a bit more stretch.