Multi species on Closing Day on the Upper Tribs!!!

StoneFly

So we went out for closing day of the upper Tribs. Were afraid it was all gonna be blown out, so We chose to hit the river we thought would clear up the fastest....it was dirty but fishable. Got to shore just after sun up and saw alot of nookies movin up and a few spawning as well. We werent targeting nooks at all,...but latched into around 20 while fishing the deeper pools.....

First Little Rainbow....

1.jpg

Lost another decent Rainbow a little later,....and then my First Ho Ho...Beautiful spawning colors....

2-1.jpg

3.jpg

Then Went down to one of the bigger more well known pools just in time to see this nice Brownie caught....

4.jpg

I guess he was keeping it...lol

on our way back up,...played with a bunch of Boots,..but no more Chromers,....then while i was walking...I saw an Amazing site....I took many pics, but they didnt turn out so well. there were two 20 lb + males nooks,..looking quite dark,..and not the least bit bothered by me,..so I got nice and close.....2 things they did that awwwed me...one was continually rising 12" out of the water and snapping, like they were going for flies...and second, attacking each other like sharks or Pike after walleye,...it was amazing to watch so close, they were biting each others tails, Jaws and even Bellies....lol.., I took so many pics as I watched for 15 minutes,...but this one below is the only one that remotely captured what I saw...

Sept-30-09017.jpg

Maybe this shows it better,...the second fish just bit the one you see around the Belly....

5.jpg

Not the best of conditions, nor the best outing ever, but still alot of fun for closing day!!!

Edited by StoneFly

Sounds like a good day, nice looking Co. Interesting site with the nooks, I've never really seen them battle like that.

Beautiful brown, it's a real shame it was killed IMO.

Agreed on the Brown,...But what can you do...by the time I was over thereit was already on the stringer....I question how it was caught,...and to boot,...it was a hen and the guy didnt even know how good those eggs are....some people have horshoes I guess ;)

As for the Chinneys,..I have seen them snap at each other many times,..thats the best time to drift a deep pool for nooks when they are aggressive,...this was not a deep pool and i wasnt about to fish it,..it was absolutely amazing to see it that close tho actually biting each other...:)

I saw a similar site last week on a Gbay trib.. Big hen in the tailout of a pool, 3-4 males up in the shallow water just going crazy chasing each other around. It was pretty funny.

I stayed until a couple I saw further upstream walked by me.. They were *ahem* tossing those big bright yellow spoons.... you know the ones you use for monster pike? lol

thinking about it afterward, when i saw them continually rising out of the water snapping like they would for flies,...it dawned on me....I wonder what would have happened in this situation with a dry fly and a flyrod....my guess is maybe a take....now that would have truely Awesome!!!

Nice Coho. I really really like Cohos in the river, glad they are back on stocking lists. When I used to target them, they were about the last fish to enter the rivers on Lake O, often late November or early Dec just before ice up, even have encountered the odd one still alive the following March during ice break up. This new strain is obviously a much earlier spawner. They are far more willing to hit than Chinooks, seems to be in better shape further up river than Chinooks are and put up a far more acrobatic fight than Chinooks. Also for anyone wanting to target them, they liked green, not chartreuse but a real Kelly/ Forest/ deep grass green. Don't know why, not saying that it is still the hot colour , but would be my go-to colour initially. Did I mention I like river Cohos??

Agreed on the Brown,...But what can you do...by the time I was over thereit was already on the stringer....I question how it was caught,...and to boot,...it was a hen and the guy didnt even know how good those eggs are....some people have horshoes I guess ;)

As for the Chinneys,..I have seen them snap at each other many times,..thats the best time to drift a deep pool for nooks when they are aggressive,...this was not a deep pool and i wasnt about to fish it,..it was absolutely amazing to see it that close tho actually biting each other...:)

I'm one of those guys that doesn't know how good those eggs are.

I'm new to the whole fishing thing, (only since last August), and am learning as I go.

I've read all the threads about the Salmon slaughters for their eggs. Up until this point I've ever only had a chance to use a few eggs out of those little jars you get at Canadian Tire.

I've only caught 2 trout in my life, both last winter:

Brown_trout.jpg

This girl started spewing eggs just after the picture snapped, just as being released.

Now, being so new, I wasn't expecting to be bringing home any eggs, and definitely wasn't prepared to catch any.

So, that being said, are Brown eggs better or preferred to others?

Awesome catch! Cohos are one of my favourite fish to hook into. Great pics and report :thumbsup_anim:

Nice Coho. I really really like Cohos in the river, glad they are back on stocking lists. When I used to target them, they were about the last fish to enter the rivers on Lake O, often late November or early Dec just before ice up, even have encountered the odd one still alive the following March during ice break up. This new strain is obviously a much earlier spawner. They are far more willing to hit than Chinooks, seems to be in better shape further up river than Chinooks are and put up a far more acrobatic fight than Chinooks. Also for anyone wanting to target them, they liked green, not chartreuse but a real Kelly/ Forest/ deep grass green. Don't know why, not saying that it is still the hot colour , but would be my go-to colour initially. Did I mention I like river Cohos??

Funny you should mention green...A few years ago I tied up emerald green woolly buggers and spey flies just for the cohos that were stocked in the Humber. They would smash them without hesitation. Funny enough they wouldn't hit black, pink or chartreuse which everyone else was throwing for them. Some of the salmon trollers I meet in the harbours also recommend anything red when green isn't working...Maybe they're colour blind.LOL

purple, purple, purple for hos!

was at a pool full of hos a couple weeks back and we fished it right into dark,

we soon ran out of tied roe as we usually just buy from a store so i threw on a

purple pink worm if that makes sense haha. anyways long story short we ended up staying

another hour and manage to finish a half pack of purple worms before we decided there was

nothing else in our vests they would hit. btw did i mention the fact that they were smashing those purple worms?

Awesome catch! Cohos are one of my favourite fish to hook into. Great pics and report :thumbsup_anim:

Funny you should mention green...A few years ago I tied up emerald green woolly buggers and spey flies just for the cohos that were stocked in the Humber. They would smash them without hesitation. Funny enough they wouldn't hit black, pink or chartreuse which everyone else was throwing for them. Some of the salmon trollers I meet in the harbours also recommend anything red when green isn't working...Maybe they're colour blind.LOL

Yep, Jensen use to make green single eggs (probably still do) ... they were my goto colour for brownies and coho's ... never had much with them on bows though

While I was salmon fishing lat week I saw quite a few of them coming out of the water for some reason. I also saw some biting each others tails. They seem to be very powerful fish, sometimes when I would reel in my lure would hit one and it'd launch in the air instantly, it was a cool site.

Edited by Ciceri

100% correct ! I have watch coho's and chinnies doing that and have drifted single eggs right at my feet and had them rise up just a few feet away from me to take them right on the surface on a free-drift ... not sure there is any intent to eat per se, but they definitely make a legitmate take ... and are extremely fiesty when in this type of behaviour

what do you mean by the upper tribs?

the upper stretches of all tribs that are now closed for Salmon, browns and Steelhead. Each Zone is different, but they all are closed now to some degree for the upper spawning grounds, the Regs will tell you for each zone.

Edited by StoneFly