Relocation advice?

OhioFisherman

I'll do it Glenn. Better yet, PM me next time you're up there and I'll do my best to meet you there. Thursdays are good. Pork chops! Hmmm, Hmmmm, Hmmmm. Whoops, that's another song.

I'll dang sure do it Connie!!!... maybe we can get "pops" out for a fish!?... but he's a disgusting ol' bugger, he likes fishing for Catfish the best! ;)

Edited by GCD

Connie I may not have properly understood the comments I read on the board I was looking at, but my take was Chattanooga was trapped in the past? Drove thru it on I-75 also, a better impression of Knoxville but I am sure I just scratched the surface of either.

Also looked some more at Cookeville real estate web sites, seems like a nice town too, but a bit smaller than I would like nearby. Sort of like Medina? the basics are there, fine if you don`t do much, but I like to get my hands as dirty as I can. Just playing with tools and stuff, projects.

Right now TN sounds a lot better than Ohio, just the weather factor, can`t deal with the snow here, and the walking is going to get worse, so the time to go is as soon as I can. Just loose ends to clean up, kids got my back so I am good.

Not about to move back in with Mom, 2 brothers there already and all 3 of them may be nuts? Younger bro lives 2 miles away from them and is looking out for them. They need to be in a condo, but won`t move. Tired of talking to them about it myself. 2 dogs 3-4 cats and they can`t even take care of themselves.

Won`t move in with the older 2 daughters, they make themselves miserable, they aren`t busting up my party, LOL I am happy, don`t need or expect much. They want everything, and get bent because they can`t have it. Twisted sisters? Love them but too old for me to babysit in my condition. Besides one lives in Rhode Island, I know I am not getting near there!

LOL concealed carry? haven`t done that since I was 18-20, cleaned up my act for the most part and kept away from most trouble spots. I don`t mess with people that don`t mess with me, when I was well most knew it was a bad idea. Gotta push pretty hard to get me riled, I just figure the ones that do are stupid. Easier for me to draw a gun on paper now, but I can still shoot, just prefer to avoid incidents.

Have to see what the younger 2 kids are going to do, daughter is in college and I need to find the right way to motivate my son. A good kid and helpful but no direction. Need to get him going, either with me or something.

Up here in our national capital, Ottawa, across from Gateneau (Leachman/Jaques country) they eat "BeaverTail" a lot better tasting than collard greens I bet! Hell we have a town in Ontario named Beaverton and one named Ballsover!

Beaver tail sounds nasty!!!.. how many diseases are there on a Beaver tail anyway???... Collard greens can't grow thru 10' of snow yanno!!!

You should really try a big bowl of the collards!... they'll cure what ails ya, and if nothing ails you.. they'll cure that too!!! B)

Not sure if you got movers moving you but in case, a few tips.

- Try to label/Group the Boxes as close to the rooms as you can for the other end

- Pay attention to what the packers put down for the condition of your effects on their Itinerary, they will over

exaggerate for their benefit in case of damage

- when they take things apart, insure they tape the bolts, nuts etc to the Item, Ive had movers pack the

hardware in different boxes that were labeled as some thing else. Its a nightmare as the unpackers

usually can't find anything or plane ole dont even know how to put it back together. Anything made of

press-wood, good luck putting it together

- All your important documents, bring them with you filed, in a file folder

- Book hotels as I learned the hard way during Rodeo season in Montana with a bad case of food Poisoning

and hallucinations, nice to have a second driver

- Find room for a Jerry can of gas, just in case. Bring Maps

- On the other end, you never have time to go through every article that you own to check for condition

insurance purposes. Whatever is precious make sure you check before the move and during unpacking.

REPORT IMMEDIATELY as the UN PACKER is your witness.

- Make sure all your boxes are in the right rooms and leave room for unpacking.

- Set Bed first, nice to have a good sleep. Then do room to room

Before moving set up your Phone, TV, Gas, Hydro etc for the other end.

Hope this helps and have a happy journey, make it a mini holiday. Ive moved about eight time with my family including Germany.

Important. Make sure you go to the city and make sure your Property Taxes, Water etc is in order as

Lawyers have a tendency to neglect or take their time. At the same time, get a phone book, contact

Welcome Wagon, find out on Garbage and Recycle timings.

Sorry, you can't move to a state with that many letters in it's name. You would have to change your OFC handle to something like Tennesseefisherman and that is just too many letters in one name. Or even worse is FormerOhiofishermannowinTennessee :w00t:

All joking aside if you do decide on a move to a more comfortable climate I wish you all the best and I'm sure your decision will work out perfectly. But I was just wondering if a drier western climate would be more comfortable?

Holdfast, drove a truck or worked on a truck dock for more than 30 years, LOL a little experience at getting a load right. Also know the deal on filing damage claims with movers, similar to common carriers. I wouldn`t dream of carrying a jerry can of gas in my vehicles on a 450 plus mile trip, I am not afraid to stop for gas, new ride has a 35 gallon gas tank.

Homes I have been looking at on-line (new) come with all the major appliances, stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, under cabinet microwave. Just have to make sure I get a washer and dryer and have it delivered and set up. Also got info on utilities, who to contact to set up service in what area.

Really not much household stuff I plan on taking from here, LOL a dudes perspective? Stuff hanging on the walls has to be dusted, I don`t need it. If you don`t use it to cook with it doesn`t belong in the kitchen? Most of the furniture here doesn`t work for me, older, not really my tastes, not worried about leaving any of it.

Not sure how quickly I will find a suitable place, would like to have one picked out, and have changes made during construction. Wider door and hallways, ramps in and out of the house, nothing complicated to do during construction.

Have to check zoning laws, before I buy anything, I tinker, need to have a second garage or pole barn, have to make sure they are allowed, and lot is big enough and shaped right for one.

Haven`t moved much but never any issues, just like to plan ahead to avoid them.

Pikehunter, drier? Never been west of Indiana, go someplace with a water shortage? LOL Logistics, don`t want to be too far away from the kids and family, but outta here. Tennesse is like a perfect compromise for me, weather is much more livable for me with little snow, a fairly easy 8 hour drive from the majority of my family and friends.

MS has made me heat sensitive, doesn`t matter if it`s humid or dry, too hot and it`s inside for me, new place will have central air.

I can pick up maps, when I get somewhere, didn`t need any on the drive to Florida, didn`t usually need them when I went north, and don`t usually need them in my travels. Pretty aware of where I am and where I gotta go.

From me Knoxville is a straight shot, so was Florida, at least where I went, not many side moves, just tedious driving.

Two things that create further complications to your condition are temperature extremes and stress.

I have learned this the hard way since i have the same disability.

Having central air conditioning is a real key and getting this move done as smoothly as possible will help.

Good luck with all this Paul!

ehg! How have you been? Sorry I don`t keep in touch better. Stress? stuff happens, I am the first to clear my mind of it, LOL truck it all?

Stayed with the first ex in Florida for 5 weeks, Her home has a much better setup for a person that has some disability. One level, no basement, home is all pretty much wide open except for the hallway to the bedrooms an bathroom.

Foot drag and toe drop is a pretty severe problem for me, carpeting, throw rugs screw me up. Her house had all tile floors except for the bedrooms, a better plan for me, just not with her. She is very reclusive, and I can be a character. I get along fine with most people, not sure of her issues, just too many years apart for me to deal with it again. I am not rushing into anything involving wimmins!

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/reb/1394631960.html something like this will be fine.

Holdfast, drove a truck or worked on a truck dock for more than 30 years, LOL a little experience at getting a load right. Also know the deal on filing damage claims with movers, similar to common carriers. I wouldn`t dream of carrying a jerry can of gas in my vehicles on a 450 plus mile trip, I am not afraid to stop for gas, new ride has a 35 gallon gas tank.

Homes I have been looking at on-line (new) come with all the major appliances, stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, under cabinet microwave. Just have to make sure I get a washer and dryer and have it delivered and set up. Also got info on utilities, who to contact to set up service in what area.

Really not much household stuff I plan on taking from here, LOL a dudes perspective? Stuff hanging on the walls has to be dusted, I don`t need it. If you don`t use it to cook with it doesn`t belong in the kitchen? Most of the furniture here doesn`t work for me, older, not really my tastes, not worried about leaving any of it.

Not sure how quickly I will find a suitable place, would like to have one picked out, and have changes made during construction. Wider door and hallways, ramps in and out of the house, nothing complicated to do during construction.

Have to check zoning laws, before I buy anything, I tinker, need to have a second garage or pole barn, have to make sure they are allowed, and lot is big enough and shaped right for one.

Haven`t moved much but never any issues, just like to plan ahead to avoid them.

Pikehunter, drier? Never been west of Indiana, go someplace with a water shortage? LOL Logistics, don`t want to be too far away from the kids and family, but outta here. Tennesse is like a perfect compromise for me, weather is much more livable for me with little snow, a fairly easy 8 hour drive from the majority of my family and friends.

MS has made me heat sensitive, doesn`t matter if it`s humid or dry, too hot and it`s inside for me, new place will have central air.

I can pick up maps, when I get somewhere, didn`t need any on the drive to Florida, didn`t usually need them when I went north, and don`t usually need them in my travels. Pretty aware of where I am and where I gotta go.

From me Knoxville is a straight shot, so was Florida, at least where I went, not many side moves, just tedious driving.

Sorry, I had no Idea you were a Truck Driver or Mover. Ill try not to be too eager to help without doing some homework. Truely no harm was meant.

Holdfast, no problem, better to be eager to help than not help at all? Good points made by you for those that did not know. The claims thing for sure, nice to have the drivers signature on the freight bill, moving invoice that damages were noted while he was there.

No harm done good points for everyone going thru a move.

Beaver tail sounds nasty!!!.. how many diseases are there on a Beaver tail anyway???...

Glenn. Naw, I think he's talking 'bout this...

right here

and right here too

I think Obama had a taste of Beavertail too on his visit to Ottawa.

Fried okra yep, it's good, or sliced raw and tossed into a stew as a thickener,

Sorry Paul, just figured drier air would be better. You should enjoy the Knoxville area, nice geographically with the mountains. Could always shoot over to Dollywood to see those mountains too :blink::lol:

LOL Pikehunter, easy to get in trouble in the mountains, done it twice now. A quick pass thru, some time in the valleys is all I need.

Country music isn`t at the top of my list, some I like, but prefer to be on a nice quiet body of water. Chances of me going to Dollywood would be slim to none. Never even had a radio in my boat except for a weather radio, portable, most times I left it home, tried to be aware of what to expect before I headed out.

Lots of water near Knoxville, much bigger lakes(inland) than here. Big inland lake here is 3000 acres. They have a bunch over 15,000 acres, one is 128 miles long? Just flooded valleys they dammed up in the mountains for the most part? TVA lakes, Tennesse has some of the lowest electric prices in the country.

LOL Simple man, simple mind, doesn`t take a lot to keep me happy. I find stuff to do when I can.

Edited by OhioFisherman