Relocation advice?

OhioFisherman

I am planning a move, LOL not north, but south. The Knoxville Tn. area is looking pretty good right now, housing prices, taxes, ect.

Just need a warmer climate because of my disability, less snow and ice. Just trying to get my bases covered in advance.

I do plan on an extended trip down to that area before a firm decision, but never made a long distance move before so tips on what to do or what to look for might help?

LOL TennesseGuy2?

I am planning a move, LOL not north, but south. The Knoxville Tn. area is looking pretty good right now, housing prices, taxes, ect.

Just need a warmer climate because of my disability, less snow and ice. Just trying to get my bases covered in advance.

I do plan on an extended trip down to that area before a firm decision, but never made a long distance move before so tips on what to do or what to look for might help?

LOL TennesseGuy2?

I'm not an American resident but I spend a lot of time down there, mostly Ohio now, with realtor relatives so I could be wrong in some of this. A lot of the relevant advice will depend on whether you're buying or renting, selling in Ohio, down-sizing, financing, etc.

As far as I know there are no major issues in moving between states money-wise although you'll want to check the applicable fees & taxes locally that apply to a real estate purchase. If you have any disability pensions are they state-based or federal? IOW is your eligibility affected? Check the prices on interstate movers if you're planning on hiring someone. When do you have to switch your car and driving permits over to the new state control?

Having just gone through a fast move myself I can tell you that going from a house to an apartment (condo) is quite a change. Where do you put all your stuff? We've got a 23x10 storage unit rented and a bunch of surplus furniture in long term storage with the moving company. My fishing gear is all stuck away in a screened storage locker in the parking floor of our condo and I have no table to work on when playing with the reels etc. My big gas bbq has become a small electric unit (no open flame units allowed on balconies) and steak on an electric just ain't the same.

Downsizing is a lot easier to say than do. We've given away so much stuff in the last month I feel like a charity.

I'm sure you've already thought of all these things but it never hurts to be reminded. Good luck with the new adventure.

JF

I dunno Paul, I'd still travel south a couple more states 'til you get to my favourite! ( FLA ) LOL Probably pretty expensive though.

I remember meeting a fellow on a Florida pier who moved to Florida from New York so he could go shrimping, pier fish and harvest wild berries and such. Almost able to live off the land exclusively.

Anyhoo, good luck with your move. I'm betting there is some good stream/river fishing in Tennessee and some great bassin'

I have moved all over the country for school, work, etc., and the biggest piece of advice I can give is to rent if it is a new place. The last several years have proven that buying a house is not the "fool proof" investment most people think it is. If you rent when you get there, it won't be a big deal if you later discover that you made the wrong choice of state, town, neighbourhood, etc. You can just leave rather than lose your shirt in transaction fees on a house. If you end up liking it, you will be able to wait out the local market and buy the house that you want without needing to wait and sell your own.

A couple of times in the past few years I was almost certain that I was going to settle in a certain location, and for totally unforeseeable reasons, I had to move. Boy, was I ever glad that i rented!

I have moved all over the country for school, work, etc., and the biggest piece of advice I can give is to rent if it is a new place. The last several years have proven that buying a house is not the "fool proof" investment most people think it is. If you rent when you get there, it won't be a big deal if you later discover that you made the wrong choice of state, town, neighbourhood, etc. You can just leave rather than lose your shirt in transaction fees on a house. If you end up liking it, you will be able to wait out the local market and buy the house that you want without needing to wait and sell your own.

A couple of times in the past few years I was almost certain that I was going to settle in a certain location, and for totally unforeseeable reasons, I had to move. Boy, was I ever glad that i rented!

That's excellent advice. At the very least it also gives you lots of time with no pressure to find exactly the right place to buy.

Paul you really need to talk to Connie on this one if your serious about TN, he can enlighten you. He may even direct you to the Cookeville area :D

I or we (wife) have a plan that hopefully will relocate us down there for retirement. I like northeast TN myself, some would say go further south near Chattanooga for a better climate change

Good luck in your search

John, just bought a chevy express van the end of July, 2500 series, 10 feet of floor space behind the seats. Bought a 12x6x6 enclosed trailer with a ramp rear door in June. Just guessing most of what I plan on taking will fit in them, clothing, fishing tackle, tools, electric scooter, maybe an electric wheelchair before I move?( House sells?).

Doesn`t seem to be state income taxes on pensions or disability income, sales taxes are a bit higher, they tax food there. Property taxes lower. A wash? Not like I am Joe shopper. 30 days to change plates and registrations once you become a resident.

Planning on buying new, smaller and one level, lol on high ground not prone to flooding. 4 levels here and I hardly uses 3 of them. 2000 square feet, I can get by with 1400-1700. 4.18 acres here, I need less 75x150 100x150 would work fine.

House under construction(early) would allow me to make needed changes? wider halls and doors? ramps to enter instead of steps? Stand up shower with a built in seat instead of a bath tub or as an added feature?? Carpeting in the bedrooms only!

Most stuff here can go with the house, I can get new stuff down there? Maybe a pickup truck front end to turn into a grill?

Not that I fish much anymore but http://www.sherpaguides.com/tennessee/tenn.../tva_lakes.html fresh water close by is always a plus?

Mike I spent about 5 weeks in Florida, beginning of August till Labor day weekend. Tampa-St.Pete area, Largo, a mile from the beach, saw the ocean - gulf. ??? big deal? not for me no interest in salt water, living 10 feet above sea level or paying 200 grand for a home that might fetch 100 grand here.

Stayed with the first ex-wife, in her house, nice place I guess but a 60`s era home? Room for 1 car in the drive with out blocking the sidewalk, lol my van and trailer parked on the grass on either side of the drive and no room to expand. Way too much traffic in that area and no jobs. Not only gators but poisonous snakes in the area, in the city. Ex stepped on a pygmy rattlesnakes a couple of years ago cutting her front grass, 2 people in Tampa bit by them, in their yards while I was there. I saw 2 black racers(snakes) in the ex`s yard while I was there, 1 about 3 feet 1 about 5, not poisonous but a bit of a surprise?

Just seemed like loads of scammers down there, 3 trips by a supposedly reputable heating and air conditioning place to get the ex`s new central air to pass inspection? Always scam alerts in the news and papers. People drive like nuts.

No interest in living off the land! LOL, fesh are for catching not eating!

weekend, solo, no hurry for me. Made some contacts down there already and a place to rent short term or long is no problem. I do want to sell my place first, don`t want to be traveling back and forth, about 450 miles for me.

No hurry to buy, I can rent first, just have to get down there and look around more, but the real estate sites on-line have been some what of a help, just to know what is available.

Phil, mentioned it to Connie before and he was a lot of help. Cookeville is just a bit off the path I want to be on and just not big enough to have a lot of jobs. Not that I need one but who knows which of my kids may decide to move with me.

My youngest is going to Ohio State`s (ATI) in Wooster Ohio, but UT in Knoxville supposedly has one of the best vet programs in the country, in case she would want to follow dad.

Certainly not looking in the city itself, a nice quiet burb. Talk is Chattanooga isn`t as progressive as Knoxville, and really not much difference in weather. LOL after driving thru Georgia I don`t want to be too close to it!

LOL Brian, PM ok?

Planning on buying new, smaller and one level, lol on high ground not prone to flooding. 4 levels here and I hardly uses 3 of them. 2000 square feet, I can get by with 1400-1700. 4.18 acres here, I need less 75x150 100x150 would work fine.

House under construction(early) would allow me to make needed changes? wider halls and doors? ramps to enter instead of steps? Stand up shower with a built in seat instead of a bath tub or as an added feature?? Carpeting in the bedrooms only!

Sounds like you've already done your "homework". Good idea to get the "disability" features done during building. That should at least cut costs if not eliminate extra costs altogether. Have you checked to see if there any disability grants available for new construction? Sometimes they aren't very well promoted.

JF

Edited by JohnF

Mike I spent about 5 weeks in Florida, beginning of August till Labor day weekend. Tampa-St.Pete area, Largo, a mile from the beach, saw the ocean - gulf. ??? big deal? not for me no interest in salt water, living 10 feet above sea level or paying 200 grand for a home that might fetch 100 grand here.

Stayed with the first ex-wife, in her house, nice place I guess but a 60`s era home? Room for 1 car in the drive with out blocking the sidewalk, lol my van and trailer parked on the grass on either side of the drive and no room to expand. Way too much traffic in that area and no jobs. Not only gators but poisonous snakes in the area, in the city. Ex stepped on a pygmy rattlesnakes a couple of years ago cutting her front grass, 2 people in Tampa bit by them, in their yards while I was there. I saw 2 black racers(snakes) in the ex`s yard while I was there, 1 about 3 feet 1 about 5, not poisonous but a bit of a surprise?

Just seemed like loads of scammers down there, 3 trips by a supposedly reputable heating and air conditioning place to get the ex`s new central air to pass inspection? Always scam alerts in the news and papers. People drive like nuts.

No interest in living off the land! LOL, fesh are for catching not eating!

Yikes! I can see why you're not into the Florida thing, Paul. Guess you had yourself enough of it. I vacationed on the gulf side a handfull of times and enjoyed it. Being from the inner city( Hamilton ), you can imagine how different it was from what I was used to. Pelicans, gators, dolphins, man, I felt like I was in a nature show everyday!

Goodluck with your search, Paul, and I know you'll end up in some nice new 'digs.'

Cheers!

Didn`t think of that John but my income level may exclude me. I make more than a lot of people do that work, usually excludes me from the game.

You sound like a few guys who were employed by me over the years - they made a lot of money without working. :lol:

JF

Thanks Mike, really not the direction I want to head, but illness forces it. Rather be closer to the northern border, Erie, Northeast PA, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. No point in being somewhere and being trapped by the weather.

No problems, I am certain I will be content wherever I land.

You may want to look into Alabama Paul, Knoxville still gets pretty cold and nasty in the winter. My parents live in Crossville Tenn., half way between Knoxville and Nashville on I 40.

The cost of living is pretty cheap in Alabama, even compared to Atlanta Georgia!... and we don't hardly ever see any of that cold white junk falling out of the sky!!! ;)

LOL Glen, you want me for your neighbor? The smell of smelting lead in the hood? Nice job with those jigs by the way!

Actually don`t mind cold, no mosquitos! just can`t deal any longer with all the snow here, don`t mind some but when it stays for weeks it just keeps me trapped indoors, I hate it.

The Knoxville area seems to get less than 1/4 the snow we get here, I can handle that. Really need to stay fairly close to the kids(relatively) I don`t fly and 18-20 hours drives aren`t my favorite items, for any reason. Just got back Labor day weekend from the longest drive o my life(Florida) and don`t intend to repeat it.

Cookeville TN also seems nice but small like the nearest city to me here, like 25,000 people. Still have to run into Cleveland here if I need anything special, like carbide machine tools. Just like being fairly close to a bigger city, but not in it.

LOL Glen, you want me for your neighbor? The smell of smelting lead in the hood? Nice job with those jigs by the way!

Actually don`t mind cold, no mosquitos! just can`t deal any longer with all the snow here, don`t mind some but when it stays for weeks it just keeps me trapped indoors, I hate it.

The Knoxville area seems to get less than 1/4 the snow we get here, I can handle that. Really need to stay fairly close to the kids(relatively) I don`t fly and 18-20 hours drives aren`t my favorite items, for any reason. Just got back Labor day weekend from the longest drive o my life(Florida) and don`t intend to repeat it.

Cookeville TN also seems nice but small like the nearest city to me here, like 25,000 people. Still have to run into Cleveland here if I need anything special, like carbide machine tools. Just like being fairly close to a bigger city, but not in it.

I understand Paul, and thanks for the jig compliment!

We don't have mosquitos here in my nek of the woods. Toledo is a 10 hr. drive from my house, maybe too far for you.

Cookeville is about 30 mi. west of my parents in Crossville and Knoxville is about 40 mi. east.

Watchout for those Tennessee hillbillies if you move down there... I've heard they like Banjo music and the sound of a pig squeeling!!! ;)

Moved to Cookeville in 1965 and haven't been able to put enough money away to move out.

Had lunch near Crossville last Thursday at Cumberland Mountain State Park Restaurant. Thursday is pork chop day. Yum. Saw some Canada geese at the lake. I'm pretty sure the lake is stocked with rainbows. New gun law allows carry in the park for those of us who don't fight with our hands.

Chattanooga has become a pretty decent city in the past few years. It needed to upscale. Paul, not sure what you mean about Chattanooga not being progressive. Is progressive a buzz word for something I don't understand?

Cookeville is not a bad little city. We're close to three lakes, it's a university town and we have an excellent hospital. Our cost of living and quality of life make it attractive. Being on the edge of the plateau we seem to sometimes hold onto some stagnant air. Or that might be my imagination. 14 miles to the East puts you up the mountain to Monterey and I really think the air quality is better there. They sometimes get a half dozen snows a year while Cookeville gets none.

Although I've lived here since 1965 I'm still not fond of our hot July and August weather. The humid air just won't go away.

We don't get much snow, but it's usually pretty slick. And the home growns have no idea how to drive in it.

Although I've lived here since 1965 I'm still not fond of our hot July and August weather. The humid air just won't go away.

:w00t::w00t::w00t: ... now that was pretty dang funny for a central 'Bama boy!!!... we only notice when it's not hot and humid!!! :rolleyes:

The next time you're at the Cumberland Mountain State Perk for pork chop day, give a shout out for Ed and Maggie Morrow to see if they're in there too... that would be my parents, and they would be glad to tell you what a disgusting teenager I was! ;)