Cleaning out a gas tank *NF*

LucG

I picked up an old Ski-Doo Tundra this summer that has been sitting for a number of years. The tank smelted really bad so I though I'd better empty her out, clear the lines, and clean the carb. While emptying out the tank, the gas looked like muddy water, there was also a sludge like substance left at the bottom, and quite a bit of it. The consistency reminded me of peanut butter.

Does anyone know the best way to clean this stuff out? Will varsol work?

I had a Yamaha Bravo given to me last year with the same thing.

I pulled the tank off the sled and drained the old gas. Then I cleaned it all out on the inside as best as I could.

I can’t remember what solution I used to break up the sludge in the tank :blink: I made sure all the gas lines where clean by removing them, and cleaning as necessary.

I bought a new fuel filter, and had the carb cleaned by a professional.

She runs mint now. Perfect little hard warer rig.

That might cost me $20 in gas....lol

Thanks for the suggestions.

20 bucks is cheap in consideration of how much its going to cost later when it is running ... B)

fuel is the cheapest part of a sled

Edited by Twocoda

If this is a plastic tank try dropping in a few pennies with the solvent (whatever you use), and tumble the pennies for a while. They'll scrape the crud off the plastic.

JF

Yes it is a plastic tank. I never though of using pennies. Someone suggested using small rocks or sand. But I am a little hesitant in putting sand into a gas tank.

I will give the pennies a try.

Thanks

Seafoam and Pennies..........

I think we're past the Seafoam point, might as well just rinse with cheaper diesel (diesel rinses crud better than gasoline). The tank is going to be the easy part, the carbs are going to be a PITA, complete disassembly required. Was the petcock to the carbs atleast closed? If left open all the gas evaporates from the carbs and you just have varnish to deal with, if the petcock was open the carbs will be full of the same sludge in the tank.

Been there done that with a bank of 4 CV Keihins. Not fun.