Nova Scotia fishing, can anyone help me out?

BillM

I've in Halifax for a total of almost 3 weeks over the past 2 months and haven't wet a line yet. It's primetime for salmon out there and I am really thinking of bringing the pin with me the next time I fly out (early Oct)...

Obviously I'm flying blind as to where to go or even presentation (do they even pin out east?)

If anyone is a local or perhaps can put me in contact with a shop or something that could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Bill, I worked with a chap from out east for many years and he called everyone a 'pin head' so I guess they do.

Good luck on the Salmon!

haha! thanks Al!

From the regs I've found a few interesting things..

1.Artificial Fly - A single hook or double hook with two single hooks dressed with material likely to attract fish, and to which no weight, spinning device or natural bait is attached.

2.Fly Fishing - Angling by the use of an artificial fly or flies that are attached to a line or to a leader that is attached to a line..

Now, it says I can only use an artificial fly for Atlantics.. By the definition I *think* I could use a single egg pattern or something similar. Now about the weight... Am I allowed to use a normal float rig setup with dust shot as long as the weight is not directly attached to the 'artificial fly'??

haha! thanks Al!

From the regs I've found a few interesting things..

1.Artificial Fly - A single hook or double hook with two single hooks dressed with material likely to attract fish, and to which no weight, spinning device or natural bait is attached.

2.Fly Fishing - Angling by the use of an artificial fly or flies that are attached to a line or to a leader that is attached to a line..

Now, it says I can only use an artificial fly for Atlantics.. By the definition I *think* I could use a single egg pattern or something similar. Now about the weight... Am I allowed to use a normal float rig setup with dust shot as long as the weight is not directly attached to the 'artificial fly'??

You cannot drift flies under your float using centrepin rod/reel.

Must be traditional fly fishing gear.

Also you cannot add weight (split shot) to your line.

Depth is achieved by the use of sink tip lines and the like.

Good luck, have a great time and don't forget to use barbless or pinched barb hooks. Check the regs carefully.

Thanks Roy.. I've downloaded the regs and read them over and had a few questions, looks like OFC came through again.

I'll most likely give the NS Fisheries a ring just to make sure I'm not breaking any laws.. I'm sure I won't catch a thing, but you never know.

I'll also have to drive to the north shore as everything else is already closed. (As far as salmon is concerned)

Hey Dude,

While we were out there shark fishing a couple weeks ago Art, from Blue Shark Charters took me down to Fishing Fever in Halifax. They had a nice shop, the guys in there seemed really nice and were glad to help us out. Why not give them a shot, and if they turn out to be total deush's I'm sorry! haha

Good luck out there - and make sure to post your results.

http://www.fishingfever.ca/

Cheers,

Ryan

I went through the same scenario in New Brunswick with the pin....after consulting with the wardens and technique they all agreed it would be ok to use the reels and even went as far as letting us put one split on our lines just up from the fly ( most fly fisherman do anyways on the Mirimichi to ensure they are getting down) and our floats were in place of the floating line...so all was well....they had never seen float reels in the area where we fished ( 1992) We were definatly not allowed to use any roe or worms so if you take the time to explain your technique im sure you will have success...we bought the locals flys which were called red butt green machines ( nymphs) and a cheap tying kit and copied their colours to egg sucking leeches ( green bodies with red eggs) and were fairly lucky with our presentation. The Mirimichi is a fly ONLY river. The atlantics are great fun !!!!! remind me of skamania up here

By the time we got to Nova Scotia we had bought fly rods and mainly used them on the salmon river ( which we didnt catch salmon just beautiful brookies ) but what a beautiful area

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon_River_(Nova_Scotia)

Good luck

No. :D

The only thing I have suitable is a custom built lightweight Sage spey rod, Islander reel and brand new skagit line.

I'd have a really hard time lending it to anyone.

But you're welcome to it IF YOU PROMISE TO BE CAREFUL. :)

I don't think I'd want to be borrowing that one and I could likely replace it for less than most. :w00t:

Mackeral should be in the harbour now go to the back end by bedford basin there is a big chinese food resturant well used to be anyway big parking lot there have caught the odd striper there only other suggestion is to hit the road and head to the south shore lots of rivers lots of fish dont get caught without a fly rod in the rivers though. Bridgewater is a good spot for styripers and the Annapolis river in the Valley fish the power generator you can fish with a normal rod big wole makeral or eels work fantastic

Cape Sable Island is good I can hook you up with a friend there if he isnt out fishing

Thanks man! I'm cslose to all those spots which is a good thing. Unfortunately I think going after mackerel/stripers will most likely be a lot easier and most likely more productive... I'll look those spots up on mapquest!

Edited by BillM