BOWMANVILLE WELCOMING COMMITTEE

Photoz

I haven't been able to fish much this year, haven't wet a line since mid-June, but I can still drive around & look. Watta FANTASTIC day to be outside. And what time of the year is it folks? WELL, IT'S SNAGGIN' SEASON, EH? Here they are . . . just waitn' for their turn . . dozens of 'em, like sharks circling the pool, waiting for the 'all clear' signal!

imgmed_gallery_77_129_25523.jpgimg

Here's another shot, a bit better . . . and there are a lotta fairly silver ones among 'em!!

imgmed_gallery_77_129_136615.jpgimg

And what do we find after a hard swim to the top of the fish ladder? What else . . . . the local welcoming committee!! Ah h h h . . . I suppose this is a better past-time than hangin' out & smokin' dope, eh?

imggallery_77_129_198348.jpgimg

STOOOOOOOPID fish . . . . musta swum right into this wee fella's treble, eh? Damn thing should know better! Boys will be boys.

imgmed_gallery_77_129_24830.jpgimg

Here's one that musta been swimmin' backwards . . . ended up stickin' its tail right in front of the hook . . . w't's a fella to do? Ya know, from time to time I hear people yelling and making a big issue about the nationality, ethnicity or colour of people who fish like this . . . . take a good look at these guys . . . . they ALL look awfully white to me? Have a nice day fellas!

imgmed_gallery_77_129_27507.jpgimg

Wow...that one kid is really talented...he doesn't even use a rod...just a net :lol:

Did you say anything to 'em?

Naw w w w . . . . what would be the point? I have learned over the years when to keep my mouth shut & when to open it. I wasn't about to make a 'citizen's arrest' and at their age, in a group of about 7, they could get very brave! What does irk me though . . . if this was a group of non-whites, or of an obviously ethnic background, or non-Canadians . . . . I'll bet there would be a lot more reaction than "boys will be boys!' That was my point, more so than the snagging right at the exit from a fish ladder. What would YOU do if you caught YOUR kid doing this?

You know its too bad we don't have something like the police do for kids who get into trouble with the MNR..education classes and a little humiliation. Of course we don't really have the money for that.

But, regardless of race, we all have a duty, don't we??

I think the ladder restriction is downstream only....but I could be wrong. I always give them the berth both ways...

Naw w w w . . . . what would be the point? I have learned over the years when to keep my mouth shut & when to open it. I wasn't about to make a 'citizen's arrest' and at their age, in a group of about 7, they could get very brave! What does irk me though . . . if this was a group of non-whites, or of an obviously ethnic background, or non-Canadians . . . . I'll bet there would be a lot more reaction than "boys will be boys!' That was my point, more so than the snagging right at the exit from a fish ladder. What would YOU do if you caught YOUR kid doing this?

its my opinion that if you didnt say anything to these young kids ...you are just as much to fault as they are....YOU are the responsible one and the one they look to for guidance...if you seen them playing with a loaded gun ....would you just watch and take pics with the hopes of posting it on "rotten dot com" seriously ...you should have said something ...if you do not educate them its obvious thier parents are not fisherman or they would have....yes kids will be kids and they will get away with something until told otherwise by a responsible person ( shame on you)

also shame on you for trying to introduce a racial scenario ....( that irks me ) boys of this age will be boys of this age regardless of the colour of their skin ...you were responsible enough to tattle on these kids to this forum ....making yourself apart of the problem and doing nothing to become a part of the solution ...pipe up and be responsible ...with a warm heart ...take the time to educate them ......you may just find they will listen

you take a kid to a candy store ...do you seriously think he isnt going to eat any when left alone ?

Edited by Twocoda

its my opinion that if you didnt say anything to these young kids ...you are just as much to fault as they are....

Photoz is an elderly gentleman and has had some health issues in the past. Confronting young "kids" nowadays could result in disaster. He did the right thing. Posting his pictures on OFC is a positive response. If you know where this place is, go get 'em if you feel so inclined.

Photoz is an elderly gentleman and has had some health issues in the past. Confronting young "kids" nowadays could result in disaster. He did the right thing. Posting his pictures on OFC is a positive response. If you know where this place is, go get 'em if you feel so inclined.

Agreed.

Help Photoz.

Work together with your input.

It's just a click away........

I've been taught respect by 3rd party pro-action

if i was at the goodyear dam i would have kindly educated these young lads to the sport of fair catching

I agree there is some people that shouldnt be in potential confrontational situations ( im sure he is a very nice gentleman in person) one of the flaws with the internet is its sometimes hard to decipher the interpretation of the post when it contains words like "irks me" ( i read confrontational attitude in that ) which is why i even posted anything to this thread...i actually enjoyed the write up and shook my head when i seen the pics of the rippers....it wasnt until the follow up post he made that irked me . i meant no disrespect to him and was merely trying to educate him that if he isnt a part of the solution then why post it on a fish forum so now the irresponsible adults can go have a turn at it ( regardless of their skin colour) ( kinda like the garbage left behind issue )

just today there were two kids fishing too close to the dam i was at ...yes ...they were kindly educated and now hopefully they have a new respect for the sport and the rules that apply and if they tell two friends ...and so on ...maybe eventually word will travel to the goodyear dam ...

its my opinion that if you didnt say anything to these young kids ...you are just as much to fault as they are....YOU are the responsible one and the one they look to for guidance...if you seen them playing with a loaded gun ....would you just watch and take pics with the hopes of posting it on "rotten dot com" seriously ...you should have said something ...if you do not educate them its obvious thier parents are not fisherman or they would have....yes kids will be kids and they will get away with something until told otherwise by a responsible person ( shame on you)

also shame on you for trying to introduce a racial scenario ....( that irks me ) boys of this age will be boys of this age regardless of the colour of their skin ...you were responsible enough to tattle on these kids to this forum ....making yourself apart of the problem and doing nothing to become a part of the solution ...pipe up and be responsible ...with a warm heart ...take the time to educate them ......you may just find they will listen

you take a kid to a candy store ...do you seriously think he isnt going to eat any when left alone ?

very well put! I rarely find anything that Mr. Bold Letters writes to be very intelligent....

I fully agree what these young lads were doing was dumb but posting their faces on the internet without having the balls to talk to them about it or educate them.....and turn turn it into a racial thing is insane. Shame on you Photoz and thank your lucky stars I'm not one of these boys' fathers. They need a stern talking to but what you've just done is pathetic. I hope you feel pretty BIG now. Maybe you need to get out fishing yourself.

very well put! I rarely find anything that Mr. Bold Letters writes to be very intelligent....

I fully agree what these young lads were doing was dumb but posting their faces on the internet without having the balls to talk to them about it or educate them.....and turn turn it into a racial thing is insane. Shame on you Photoz and thank your lucky stars I'm not one of these boys' fathers. They need a stern talking to but what you've just done is pathetic. I hope you feel pretty BIG now. Maybe you need to get out fishing yourself.

Whoa....way over the line. You should thank your lucky stars you are not one of their fathers...or you would have a poacher for a son. Photoz is not responsible for the actions of these children..they and their parents are. Posting the pics of poachers of any age or race is absolutely fine. Maybe someone here will recognise one of the lads and have a talking to them.

Photoz is a senior member and well respected. You'd do well to have half the heart he does. Photoz is not in any position physically to take on a bunch of teenagers.

I will expect you to show more respect and decorum in the future.

Being that they were kids is one thing, regardless of race or whatever, they probably should have been spoken to in some way as to what they were doing wasn't so right. If it was adults then it would be a whole different story only because we expect most people to know certain rules and regulations, but we have all seen that isn't true.

the first thing you should would have done in that situation is tell them that what they are doing is illeagal and then if they give you a hard time walk away and call the MNR TIP LINE 1-877-847-7667 if they were my kids it would be a long time before they seen a fishing rod again and would never even think about doing something like that again after I got done with them

I think we all need to just relax here. Deep breath everyone. Ok, now that we're all calm let's think rationally.

He's an older man. He's alone. If it was one of us in our 20's to 50's (some in their 60's) then this is a different story. Some of those kids look under 15.

To me the best thing to be done here is to call the MNR. DONE!

If you go back and see it again, call the MNR again.

Hmm...thinking...starting a new post right now called SNAGGING SALMON.

Edited by laszlo

I've seen my share of scofflaws and have given up trying to talk to them, to inform them they are breaking laws. Even if I DID carry a cell phone, do you really think the Ministry is going to drop everything, and IMMEDIATELY dispatch one of their finest, with lights & sirens, to the scene? Their closest representative could be several hours away. And those kids OBVIOUSLY knew the laws well enough to stay up on the LEGAL side of the dam, and not venture into the pool full of fish below! While down in the park, I ALSO observed (1) People throwing lit cigarette butts into the shrubbery along the path. Thats called littering. (2) Carrying, drinking from, then throwing away, a beer can. Littering, and illegal consumption of alcohol. (3) Two people's dogs taking a big dump along the path, that they never cleaned up after. (4) A car comes speeding into the parking lot, at least doing 30 - 35 klicks, nearly running over a nice friendly Lab . . running loose! These are all violations of various laws, that took place right in front of me . . . . which ones should I have informed they were breaking the law? And what do you think the responce would have been? What do you think the response of a half dozen teenagers, to ONE ol' guy, going "tsk, tsk, tsk . . that's naughty, AND illegal?" Over the years I've taken enough abuse, from trying to advise people, who are clearly breaking laws . . . or calling in with full information on some of 'em . . . NEVER seeing anybody show up. There are people (aka law enforcement personnel) who draw from $50,000.00+ salaries per year and are highly trained to oversee this . . . and why do ya think they are armed? As far as introducing race into the picture, you can bet there'd be a lot more negative responses if these guys were carrying the dreaded 'white pails!' I did what I felt was the most prudent thing I could think of . . . I KNOW the Conservation Officers monitor these boards, perhaps they'll send a couple over for a look . . . and MAYBE somebody will alert the parents of these kids as to what they were up to. Walk a few miles where I've tread in the past, BEFORE ya start rippin' strips off me for acting in a responsible manner, and doing what I felt best suited the situation! And if I took MY kids in a candy store when they were small, they would NEVER have stolen (yes, 'sampling' IS stealing) ANYTHING, they were taught NOT to steal by ME!! Have a nice day. :rolleyes: