how do i get my girlfriend more interested in fishing????

chandru

ok everyone!

i want to get my girlfriend more interested in fishing. bottom line! I know there are alot of guys out there who have successfully lured their women toward fishing how can i do the same????

i would also like to hear from the ladies... if there are any female anglers that would like to share thier views please do!

share your stories all help is appreciated!

EH! Welcome aboard the board!!!

No insults intended.

Start her off like you would a kid.

Take her someplace where she'll catch tons of "Panfish" on her own terms.

Keep it simple... don't take her out for the "Trophy" until her interest for fishing is acquired.

RFS

:canadian:

:Gonefishing:

When I first started dating my wife I brought her on a cheap 3 night fly in trip out of Wawa.

Caught crazy numbers of fish and she's been hooked ever since.

It's just like taking young kids fishing, you've got to bring them somewhere where there's lots of action. More actual catching than just fishing....make it fun.

EH! Welcome aboard the board!!!

No insults intended.

Start her off like you would a kid.

Take her someplace where she'll catch tons of "Panfish" on her own terms.

Keep it simple... don't take her out for the "Trophy" until her interest for fishing is acquired.

RFS

:canadian:

:Gonefishing:

good point i do notice she develops almost an addiction like mine when she is catching!

Sometimes they just won't cross over to the dark side.

My ex-girlfriend broke up with me because I spent too much time fishing/boating/cottage, and not enough time with her..

What can I say, I'm not going to compromise some of the best things in life..

Does anyone have Mariko Izumi's number? B)

oh man sorry to hear! but you have an excellent point... its like that brad paisley song about how his girl leaves him cuz chooses to fishing over her! except looks you've actually lived it! i know it wouldnt go that far for me my girlfriend knows better than to ask me to stop! she's onboard with the whole buy a boat after graduation and have a trailer near sturgeon lake.... i just hope we can make the finances for it all between the two of us..... don't get me wrong she likes to fish but only the bare minimum! i need to find a way to ignite her need to fish!

My ex-girlfriend broke up with me because I spent too much time fishing/boating/cottage, and not enough time with her..

Does anyone have Mariko Izumi's number? B)

Yeah, I've been down that road too! :rolleyes:

.. but back to the original question. Even if she won't go fishing with you as much as you would like, consider yourself lucky if she doesn't mind if you go fishing whenever you want!

I would like for my wife to go fishing with me more often, but the weather has to be perfect for her to go (not too hot and not too cold)... but the best thing is that if I even casually mention that I might like to go fishing, she says GO!!!... that may not be the best thing.. but it's the second best!!! ;)

Can't really elaborate on what the others have said. Start them off like kids and take them to a place with a ton of panfish action. I usually leave my own rod in the trunk and end up being the 'guide' for the first few trips till they get the hang of things. A lot of the time I'm usually too busy re-tying, unhooking fish, pulling hooks and sinkers out of snags and trees, etc to be fishing myself...It really does pay to be patient and encouraging even when the proverbial bird's nest happens.

You and me both...Cheers to that! :lol:

I've posted this story on a past thread but it may come in handy one day

A few years ago I decided to take one special lady angler to a quiet stretch of river for some steelheading. She fished quite a bit…More than any girl I’ve ever met and she was a trooper when it came to the cold and rain. She was new to river fishing though along with wading, rock hopping and felt sole boots.

I hook into a nice fish, engaged the clicker on the centrepin and handed her the rod. She was thrilled to fight her first ever steelhead. Got the palming technique just right within seconds…She was a natural with the pin. The fish runs downstream a bit, around a bend and into a pool where the bank is a fairly steep muddy slope. You might’ve guessed it…Mud and felt don’t mix and she was going in fast!…

As she was sliding in, I made the mistake of yelling out, “Save the reel!”...Apparently a VERY BIG mistake. We left IMMEDIATELY afterward and it was a long and uncomfortable ride home. She was soaked and if it wasn’t for the SPF50 sunscreen I was wearing, she would’ve burned a hole through my head with those “what the hell looks” she gave me every 30 seconds. I’ve never been so afraid for myself and my tackle…

Can't really elaborate on what the others have said. Start them off like kids and take them to a place with a ton of panfish action. I usually leave my own rod in the trunk and end up being the 'guide' for the first few trips till they get the hang of things. A lot of the time I'm usually too busy re-tying, unhooking fish, pulling hooks and sinkers out of snags and trees, etc to be fishing myself...It really does pay to be patient and encouraging even when the proverbial bird's nest happens.

A few years ago I decided to take one special lady angler to a quiet stretch of river for some steelheading. She fished quite a bit…More than any girl I’ve ever met and she was a trooper when it came to the cold and rain. She was new to river fishing though along with wading, rock hopping and felt sole boots.

I hook into a nice fish, engaged the clicker on the centrepin and handed her the rod. She was thrilled to fight her first ever steelhead. Got the palming technique just right within seconds…She was a natural with the pin. The fish runs downstream a bit, around a bend and into a pool where the bank is a fairly steep muddy slope. You might’ve guessed it…Mud and felt don’t mix and she was going in fast!…

As she was sliding in, I made the mistake of yelling out, “Save the reel!”...Apparently a VERY BIG mistake. We left IMMEDIATELY afterward and it was a long and uncomfortable ride home. She was soaked and if it wasn’t for the SPF50 sunscreen I was wearing, she would’ve burned a hole through my head with those “what the hell looks” she gave me every 30 seconds. I’ve never been so afraid for myself and my tackle…

I remember that story Mike!!! :w00t:

Some wimmins just can't take a joke eh!!! ;)

LOL, I have the opposite problem. My girlfriend started dating me because I did fish and hunt. She'll wake up in the morning and jump out of bed to go play on the water. She has gotten bigger fish than me so far. She has also taken over my good rods and reels. We are now in the process of getting her setup with waterfowl clothing and it is better than my own????

Don;t push her. Even just taking her out in the boat and having a nice ride and enjoy the scenery is the trick. And as others said. Make it about her, get her into lots of fish and enjoy being out.

I'd like to help, but I don't understand the question :lol:

Not sure what its like to not be interested in fishing.

I agree with the guys here, take her where you know she'll catch and catch alot, but I think you're born with the fishing bug, well at least I was ;)

Good luck.

Joey

LOL, I have the opposite problem. My girlfriend started dating me because I did fish and hunt. She'll wake up in the morning and jump out of bed to go play on the water. She has gotten bigger fish than me so far. She has also taken over my good rods and reels. We are now in the process of getting her setup with waterfowl clothing and it is better than my own????

Don;t push her. Even just taking her out in the boat and having a nice ride and enjoy the scenery is the trick. And as others said. Make it about her, get her into lots of fish and enjoy being out.

Yea getting your significant other interested in fishing is LIKE fishing. Takes patience and time sooner our later you'll convince them to understand why you do what you do. Also helps to take them to spots that are kinda like your honey holes. That's when the memories will begin and the fun starts. But don't forget it goes both ways. You will have to do what they love doing too.

147.jpg

Also take her Rod and tackle shopping. I think she will appreciate it more when she choose the tackle and catch fish on it. Plus you gotta do all the work lol for the first couple of fishing trips then you can start to show her how to do it. But your attention shouldn't be fishing yourself but to put her on fish

Edited by Henry Nguyen

ada boy MJL !

:worthy:

Edited by splashhopper

I took my gf cat fishing in the spring on the grand river , we had like a 20 fish day and she loved it cause they werent little dock fish rather like 15lb cats and its easy to do i "let" her out fish me just for bragging rights LOL <_< , now she'll come along anytime even when she gets bored of fishing she'll read a book or sun tan i guess she figures its time spent with me since i spend a good amount of time on the water , were on our 6th year now and shes not complaining " YET "

oh and shes born and raise in the city , never had a fishing rod in her hand until she met me

CatsontheGrand011.jpg

now look at her LOL

Edited by Wiser

lol dude that's one of the best stories i've heard good one thanks for posting!

Last fall I talked my wife into joining me for a riverwalk. She was to be the photographer while I fished. I fitted her (sort of) into an old pair of rubber waders from a friend and off we went. It was a perfect day, warm but with a hint of autumn in the air & some colour in the leaves. I didn't make a big deal out of it but she kept saying for a few days after how pretty the river was.

Fast forward to this spring just before bass opener - My wife actually suggested that it might be okay if I was to get her a fishing licence. She wouldn't come right out and ask for it, but she was willing to put up with me buying her one. So I did.

Took her to the creek on bass opener and she caught a pretty little smallmouth shortly after we hit the water - and before I caught anything. She was pretty obnoxious about it but I wisely kept my mouth shut. I didn't even laugh when she asked me to take it off the hook.

Then this past weekend she bought herself some waders, wonder of wonders. I guess she's joining me on the river this weekend. :D

That's how you do it. I have no idea what I said or did, but it worked fine.

Now I guess I oughta ask her to take some pics in a bassboat ............ by a cottage .......... who knows what might transpire????????

JF

and you want to do this why?

well i really do enjoy spending time with her im a romantic when it comes to her i guess. but she's no princess she's tough so i know she can take she just dosen't seem to share the same motivation as me. but with all these great responses im getting im sure it won't be too long!

Laker Jessy (my lovely wife, who found her love of fishing at the same time she found me) says that she got hooked, and I quote, "because of the way I jiggle my rod."

:angel:

DUDE!!!... that would sound so much more believeable if we here hearing it from the LLJ herself!!!... instead of your "Pike population depleting :asshat: "... ;)

ok everyone!

i want to get my girlfriend more interested in fishing. bottom line! I know there are alot of guys out there who have successfully lured their women toward fishing how can i do the same????

i would also like to hear from the ladies... if there are any female anglers that would like to share thier views please do!

share your stories all help is appreciated!

Dont fishing is one of the same reasons men play golf to get away,you will wish you never got her interested 10 years from now haaaaa