Salmon running?

wask

I was pasing through Port Hope yesterday 7:30pm, stopped just to take a look and saw about 6 or7 fish passing through the rapids in about 15min. Went down toward the mouth and lots of people fishing off of bottom. Water is low. But there is fish and more to come. Good Luck

I find the practice of "fishing" for salmon who are within days of dying, disgusting.

Well , first of all , fish that are ''within days of dying'' are usually holding in areas such as a sanctuary (ex: the dam on the ganny) and are left in peace , for the rest , try to fight a 25 pounder in the harbor on a centerpin , a 13 footer , a 4-6 lbs test leader and a number 10 hook...Disgusting ? there's a ''few'' that would disagree with you.

Tightline

Well , first of all , fish that are ''within days of dying'' are usually holding in areas such as a sanctuary (ex: the dam on the ganny) and are left in peace , for the rest , try to fight a 25 pounder in the harbor on a centerpin , a 13 footer , a 4-6 lbs test leader and a number 10 hook...Disgusting ? there's a ''few'' that would disagree with you.

Tightline

As a 30 year veteran of float fishing (center pin) I don't disagree with Roy's opinion.

You must mean a willow branch with a clothesline pulley attached... I've never been impressed by that. :rolleyes:

hardy har har..

I find the practice of "fishing" for salmon who are within days of dying, disgusting.

if you catch them on a lure, off a pier, they are still pretty damn feisty. you should try it some time

As a 30 year veteran of float fishing (center pin) I don't disagree with Roy's opinion.

... and just when are we gonna see some of the 30 yr. old "old boot" reports???... I would find them interesting, and they could be used as much needed "cannon fodder"!!! B)

Sorry , but the hat does not fit me...

... how aboot the "marshmallow and treble hook" hat???

It's funny how here in Ontario we bash dudes for fishing the fall Salmon run in the rivers but in B.C and Alaska it's a freaking Bonaza when the Salmon run starts. In the Kenia river people pay thousands of $$$$$$ to fish the king run, yet here in Ontario we bash dudes for enjoying the fresh run of kings. I will agree that when the fish start growing fungus and turning black it's time to leave them alone, but there's nothing wrong with getting out there and enjoying the run right now as they enter the tribs.I have fun throwing glows off piers and even floating big chunks of skien for chinnies this time of year, the fight right now is amazing with these fresh run fish. The Salmon are stocked for the sole pupose of being caught and providing a sport to anglers thats why there here. Anyway it gives me something to do before I start with the trout fishing.

It's funny how here in Ontario we bash dudes for fishing the fall Salmon run in the rivers but in B.C and Alaska it's a freaking Bonaza when the Salmon run starts. In the Kenia river people pay thousands of $$$$$$ to fish the king run, yet here in Ontario we bash dudes for enjoying the fresh run of kings. I will agree that when the fish start growing fungus and turning black it's time to leave them alone, but there's nothing wrong with getting out there and enjoying the run right now as they enter the tribs.I have fun throwing glows off piers and even floating big chunks of skien for chinnies this time of year, the fight right now is amazing with these fresh run fish. The Salmon are stocked for the sole pupose of being caught and providing a sport to anglers thats why there here. Anyway it gives me something to do before I start with the trout fishing.

You're comparing the Niagara to Wilmot creek...

Lures and skein at the mouth of rivers is both fair and alot of fun. Standing in knee deep water lining fish that are attempting to spawn is not.

Roy, from the looks of your Avtar....you are a troller. Throw a bait on a rope and drive around hoping something bites....now THATS fishing!

Piers and harbors are fun on the pin......leave the upper water to the hardware chucking trollers.

RR

HAHAHAHAHAHA I guess you're right rat. :D You're gunna have to read a little more I suppose.

Have a super evening!

well, common sense tells me that you don't need to point out that throwing 3 prongs across the backs of spawning fish is disgusting. I think every "angler" out there knows that.....if that's what you were talking about then I appologise and agree....who wouldn't ?

all Chinook salmon staging off shore, and entering the habors and respective rivers to spawn are all within "days of dying"......I did read your comment and my interpretation was that salmon fishing (unless summer trolling) was unethical and "disgusting". Then GCD chimes in talking about the willow branch and cloths line pully......obviously another troller.

There are good and bad in both practices....yes there are a ton of "center pin" guys that ARE trying to impress and think they are some big deal making the rest of us look bad. Posting "look at me" documentories pinpointing the exact location of a run in specific rivers. Ripping and popping drifts. 14ft floss leads in 5ft pools....we all know that's disgusting. There are also tons of us who understand ethics and know what we are doing. Fishing ethically and respectfully to others on the water and the environment. (line, garbage etc)

Salmon trollers have a bad name too....every downrigger boat in my local harbour comes back full of meat. Fish yanked up on hydro poles and guide wires, exploding air bladders and exploding ice chests. Guys greasing other guys off drifts, and fighting on radio (and shore after) .....gallons of fuel, oil and exhaust leaking into the water and air everyday to drive around and wait for fish to hit.......there also those who know what they are doing but the result is usually the same...dead fish.

neither method of fishing is perfect......those that are "disgusting" know it......the rest of us don't need to be painted with the same brush.

RR