Simcoe Ice March 9-10?

SlowPoke

Safe enough for a sled and ice fishing in March?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. I need your advice

• You're out of your mind, bring water wings!
    • There will be some die-hards out there but I wouldn't go without a floater suit.
    • It should be fine, use commen sense and have fun.
    • No worries, go nuts!

I'm not asking for a crystal ball prediction but based on your experience at that time of year...

I have been invited to go ice fishing on Simcoe March 9-10. I'm a hardwater newbie and I'm not willing to die for a couple of perch!

What can I expect for ice conditions around Big Bay, Big Bear & Innisfil Beach?

Hoping for lakers and whitefish, tackle suggestions?

-Brian

Watch the daily temperature highs, if they do not go above 0C for any extended length of time, you should be alright. If those temps overnight are above 0C, then a little caution should be exercised. March 9-10 is less than 3 weeks away, so if the temps do not go up, and stay up above 0C, you should be fine.

Well i would imagine that it is alot colder up at lake simcoe than it is here in port dover by the lake. Four days ago i was down on the pier and the lake was frozen as far as the ey could see. WAS REALLY HARD TO SEE THE OPEN WATER.

Today i was down there and now the ice is just beyond the end of the pier where the light house is. I could not beleive how much the ice had receaded. They are still fishng on the INNER BAY up by LPB......

One of the damns also just down the street from me was totally frozen over ALSO JUST a few days ago and today there is open water down there/.

Me i think i will hold out were sopost to warm up middle of this week well down here we are......I think i will wait till open water.....lol

well if there is not a thaw it should be ok,about that time the ice is almost still at its thickest,we have went out ice fishing in march with our coats off and actually got sunbured,you can get some real nice days for fishing in march,the only downfall is sometimes due to the sun it can get slushy during the day and then tighten -up at night again,so just read the reports and check for ice conditions and you will be fine...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

It only takes 4-8 days of really cold weather to make good deep ice.

It takes about 1-2 months of warm weather to get rid of the same ice.

It gets weak around the shore first, then the middle is the last to go.

The ground warms faster than the light reflecting ice.

I have known some diehards that make their way by hook or by crook onto the ice by first making some sort of gangway to bridge across the open shore to the solid ice. :o

Have been out on Simcoe many times in the last week of March.

There's always a foot of ice even after a few days with temps in the teens.

Maybe a little ice break up near popular shoreline access spots.

You should have no worries.

ehg

Throw the heaviest guy on the ice and if he doesn't go thru then you'll be fine....LOL.

I think you'll be fine.

If you don't see anyone out there fishing,

just let the bigger guys go first. ;)

I see a trend here 'let the big guy go first'... I AM THE BIG GUY!!! :o

Is this why I get so many early and late season ice fishing invitations? :dunno:

At least I don't have to worry about falling in the hole like you skinny guys! :lol:

Thanks everyone for your input, sounds like it should be fine out there.

Anybody have some tackle tips? I have nothing for ice fishing but I do have a small ultralight spinning reel. What kind of rod should I put it on for lakers and whitefish?

-Brian

you should be OK--as a newbie you probably don't own a survival suit--maybe a future investment you may want to consider if you catch this ice fishing disease

check with the local hut operators and keep an eye on the marine fofrecast web sites

Play Safe

Have Fun

ID1

OOPS!!! LOL...sorry bout that!!! So, when you do go out, do your friends make you walk first???

No, I usually toss them ahead of me to check for thin ice. ;)

Actually, I've never been ice fishing. To me, it's like fly fishing.... way down there on the fishing to-do list.

I'll be going with my wife's uncle, he's a great guy and I love to pick his brain. I've had some of the best and most thought provoking conversations over the years with him.

you should be OK--as a newbie you probably don't own a survival suit--maybe a future investment you may want to consider if you catch this ice fishing disease

I'm looking for one. Specifically a Helly Hansen Delta in 3X. I tried on a 2X but I couldn't raise my arms without seriously injuring myself. I'm having trouble finding a store with a 3X in stock. I really want one to extend my soft water season but it'll come in handy for these impromtu hardwater invites too.

-Brian