A "how to" fishing book for a new angler

wellis1840

Is there a must read how to fishing book that is a must read for a new angler?

I did get “Fishing for Dummies” that was helpful but it wasn't enough. Right now I am shore fishing with my kids and not expecting to catch any trophy sized fish. Most of the time all we are doing is washing lures in the the waters of the Ottawa region and eastern Ontario.

I am hoping a book(s) will tell us the best place to look for fish in lakes and streams (Fishing for Dummies tells me that I should be looking for edges but doesn’t fully explain this). I would love to know what lures are best for a particular species, what colours are best to use during the day or at a particular depth or in clear or murky water. Does weather affect fishing? I do have many more questions but will stop now.

Any titles will be VERY much appreciated.

I have purchased The ROM Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes of Ontario and the Eastern Ontario Fishing Mapbook.

Thanks

"They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?" by Patrick McManus.

Not heavy on fishing techniques but it will introduce you to characters like Mary-Jane Railbender and Rancid Crabtree, and give you some all-important pointers like: When going fishing or hunting, always make sure you take your buddy's car and not your own. :P

There is no really good book on fishing. Once you learn the basics, the rest is all trial and error.

best bets are you watch vids on youtube. see what they are using,how they are using it and where are they using it. they are still only guidelines.

example: i was fishing a certain area and spot and pulled in 4 largemouth bass in 20 min. on the same bait, around lunch time.

i return the next day ,same place,same time,same bait and fished the spot and area for 2 hours and not even a hit.

i return a week later 5:30 am, fished 3 hours, got 1 hit but no takers.

back again yesterday and pulled in 5 pike and had 2 jump off the hook as i was pulling it in,using 3 different baits and this was about 3 hours of fishing.

fish are picky,they move around. they like green one day and red the next.

my advice to you,would be to get to know your local tackle shops. they can be extremely valuable. they will point you in the right direction with the right baits and even some good areas to try.

i dont see many people or books telling you where exactly to fish and what exactly they are going to bite on,or the area would have 1000 people showing up and killing it.

good luck

oh yeah,learn about the fish you want to catch, what do they eat?where can they be found?when are they there?

Edited by Lunatic

I have always wanted to see what a pro would do if dropped into a new lake without (or with I guess) a map or GPS. That is to say what is the thought process to attack a completely new lake.

I think it would make a neat show and go a long way toward teaching folk where to find fish and how to catch them.

Jim

Thanks Guys for all your suggestions and recommendations.

Just bought the book "FISHING- the complete guide to basics" by Craig Ritchie thanks to keram at Chapters for $5.99. Great deal...

Will spend more time online searching for "Fishing Basics"

Cheers

i like to think the idiot box has to be of some help. it can be tough to find the show that demonstrates your spot, your target species and your time of year but if you can they can be helpful. have you considered monthly publication like ontario out of doors, in fisherman, that sort of thing? not an endorsement but ya gotta read something when you're on the hopper!!! :D:D

There is a small booklet called "Catch Fishing" a basic how to giude to fishing in Canada. It's small and to the point, but very informative. It is dirt cheap or free. You can download it many of spots online, go to nationalfishingweek.com and you can get it from there.

Thrasher

• 3 weeks later...

I'll suggest this one, especially since you mentioned you are a shore fisherman.

"How to fish" by Chris Yates

Upon finishing reading it for the first time, you'll find the book doesn't tell you any fishing technique, but if you read it the second time, you should learn a great deal.

A good read even for people who don't fish.