World record RainBow

holdfast

Good grief - that thing's built like a horse.

Amazing how many really large fish wind up being identified as genetic freaks. The Royal Ontario Museum has a replica mount on display of a 102 pound lake trout that was netted in Lake Athabasca many, many years ago. Its body shape looks more like a sunfish than a laker. When the ROM examined the actual fish, they found it was a naturally-occurring eunich, neither male nor female. With no sexual organs whatsoever, it grew like an embryo its whole life.

It makes you wonder how many record fish over the years may have actually been genetic mutants, naturally occurring or otherwise.

Good grief - that thing's built like a horse.

Amazing how many really large fish wind up being identified as genetic freaks. The Royal Ontario Museum has a replica mount on display of a 102 pound lake trout that was netted in Lake Athabasca many, many years ago. Its body shape looks more like a sunfish than a laker. When the ROM examined the actual fish, they found it was a naturally-occurring eunich, neither male nor female. With no sexual organs whatsoever, it grew like an embryo its whole life.

It makes you wonder how many record fish over the years may have actually been genetic mutants, naturally occurring or otherwise.

Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted to grow up to be a fireman. If I remove my reproductive organs, will I grow big and strong like that fish? :lol:

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind something like that at the end of my line. That would make a lot of sushi!

Even more amazing is realizing that fish is probably around 10 years old and part of 500,000 rainbows that escaped a fish farm in 2000. These are fish that are genetically modified triploids that are designed to grow to market size in two years. Certainly a good story & fish of a lifetime, but it's man made genetics really should disqualify it from any formal records.

What's the Sask record if you ignore all of these mutant fish from Diefenbaker, around 10lbs?

Ugh!!!

Id rather catch GL or West Coast bows than that any day...regardless of size...fish is a mutant

Mutant or not.. that fish is huuuge... :o wtg boys

I wonder how many of the salmon caught on the great lakes could technically be called "mutants" since so many of them are raised in hatcheries and then released to "the wild"... :huh:

I wonder how many of the salmon caught on the great lakes could technically be called "mutants" since so many of them are raised in hatcheries and then released to "the wild"... :huh:

None, Pacific Salmon don't respond well to genetic tinkering. That's why almost all commercial aquaculture is centered around rainbows & atlantics.

Using classical Mendellian genetics to grow bigger pea pods is one thing, once you start monkeying around with chromosomes it's quite another.

None, Pacific Salmon don't respond well to genetic tinkering. That's why almost all commercial aquaculture is centered around rainbows & atlantics.

Using classical Mendellian genetics to grow bigger pea pods is one thing, once you start monkeying around with chromosomes it's quite another.

welll....

that explains EVERYTHING :blink:

Mutant or not.. that fish is huuuge... :o wtg boys

ZERO in my next of the great lakes....all au natural...they way fish and records should be