What knot do you use?

hoot33

what knot should I be using on 30lb braided line ( power Pro) ?

I use 30lb power pro braid as well and i use the palomar knot every time.

when i first bought braid line the dude at the tackle shop told me to use the palomar knot with braid. i was using clinch knots before (on my mono lines)

Edited by Lunatic

wow, palomar knot seems to be pretty popular. I'll give it a shot next time Im out.

Small suggestion: google fishing knot strength and read a few threads before you decide. Also some knots slip much easier than others. I remember when spiderwire fist came out there was a knot (I can't rember it now) that would consistently slip until the knot became undone. This was because the spiderwire was so slippery. So the moral I learned was "chose your knot based on the fishing line type you use."

Edited by Syn

Yesterday I used the Uni knot for the first time to tie more line onto my existing line on the spool...the knot seems super strong...however on a few occassions I found that when I cast, as the line is coming off of the spool it will get stuck on the uni knot, thus making my lure fall short.....besides the uniknot what knots are good for attaching line together without causing a hinderance to the line when casting??

Double Uni Knot is very strong in my opinion.

Palomar Knot...

Double Surgeon Knot...

Different knots for different applications should be the over all consensus.

If the question was what would your most common knot be, I'd say Palomar.

I use the Palomar mostly for mono, but double Palomar (double simple bow) for braid. Got that tip from a bass tourney guy and it has prevent slip for me.

I've been using the Fish 'n Fool knot and it is really strong. In my unscientific back yard tests, it seems stronger than the Palomar. Thought I'd try it after it won knot wars 2009. The only thing its a big trickier to get right making sure the double threading in the eye doesn't overlap and the uni-portion of the knot doesn't twist as you tighten when using mono.

I use the Uni knot for pretty much everything except joining tippets to leaders etc. and loops where I use a surgeons/ surgeons loop.

What do you all use for loops for topwater baits and the like?

Yesterday I used the Uni knot for the first time to tie more line onto my existing line on the spool...the knot seems super strong...however on a few occassions I found that when I cast, as the line is coming off of the spool it will get stuck on the uni knot, thus making my lure fall short.....besides the uniknot what knots are good for attaching line together without causing a hinderance to the line when casting??

You could try leaving longer tails on the knot, say about an inch, that's what I do with stop knots and they go through the rod rings better as well. That said, having a knot in the middle of your main line probably isn't the best idea as it's a weak spot.

I lost faith in the clinch knot when went to cast out my first buzz bait I ever bought, and watched as it continued on further than my line..and down to the bottom of the pond! I almost wanted to jump in after it...I figured I might as well start throwing $10 bills into the lake :P

I should of probably checked the knot....instead of just casting/casting & more casting...

Either way, I'm renaming it the Clinch NOT!

Edited by TC1OZ

I hear you, John; that said, I use a leader or snap alot of the time if I'm fishing cranks or jerkbaits, because I change baits often until I feel I've figured out what's working, and I hate re-tying. Also, there are always pike where I fish, so the leader is pretty much a must.

I tie direct to the lure for topwater, where it doesn't make any difference to the action.

Hey backbay

Last year I was in a tournament with a pro on Balsam and could not figure out why he was pulling all the fish in and I was getting nothing!

I was using the same jerkbait color, size, everything. I was cranking it in the same speed as him and he was hauling in ten fish to my one.

He finally told me that the only subtle difference was the fact that I was using a snap, when I took the snap off lo and behold I started catching as many as he was.

Sometimes the subtle differences can make the difference between winning or losing a tournament.

I always try now to tie directly to the line even though I hate re-tying over and over just like you but I learned something that day.

Just an FYI!

And to answer the original post, I nearly always use the Palormar knot for the my tying.