What's Your Fave Rod/Reel/Line combos?

danbo

My most fun rig is a Daiwa Advantage Super-Tuned baitcaster on a 6'6 Shakespeare Intrepid MH Rod + #10 Super Silver Thread mono for bass.

My 7' Fenwick HMG Spin/fly rod with a Daiwa Laguna 2000 + #6 Magna Thin mono for river smallies & trout.

For pickerel I like a 7' St. Croix Premier ML rod & a Daiwa Exceler 2500 loaded with #10 Silver Thread mono.

For pike I use a TD-1 Hi baitcaster loaded with #40 Power Pro line on a 7' MH Quantum Catalyst rod. :Gonefishing:

Edited by danbo

LOL, most of mine are no longer available except on sites like e-bay. Favorite is a 7 foot 6 inch Falcon flipping stick made for spinning reel with an old Abu 507 closed face unslung reel on it. No bail, no trigger, touch the front of the spool cover and the line releases onto you finger. Spooled with 17# test Stren and no problems, no line twist, I can flip or pitch a 1/8 ounce lure easily, like the perfect night reel nothing for the line to tangle on, no backlashes.

Other than that older casting reels, Shimano`s Abu`s and medium priced rods, well cheap compared to some guys. Not so much what your using, it`s what you do with it.

This has many answers for me. Depends on the type of fish being targeted and what technique used.

Trolling for musky, walleye or salmon I like the ease of a Shimano Tekota LC 500.

I will use Talora rods for musky and salmon action but use the 8'3" Compre trolling rods for walleye.

Gamma High Performance line for my trolling, 10# for walleye 14-17# for salmon/steelies and 30# for musky fishing.

Most of my spinning gear is a mix of Shimano Stradic and Symetre reels with either a Crucial or Compre. Once again using my equipment as a guide I need to rely on it, Shimano has not let me down.

DCP_0021.JPG

For an ultra-lite I use a 5.5' Berkley Lightning rod with a Shimano Stradic and 4lb trilene.

For musky I use a 7' Berkley Gorilla stick with an Abu 5600C4 and 65lb Power Pro.

In between I have all kinds of rods and reels, mostly spinning, spooled with 14lb Fireline.

If I had only one choase of all my rods and reels, i'd go with shimano Calcutta 251 with a 7foot medium heavy shimno Compre with 50lb PowerPro. I have caught dozens of species, fresh and saltwater and I love the feel and control of the combo.

For bass, pike, walleye and even panfish my favourite is a 7ft Shimano Bull Whip fighting rod, with a Shimano Mark II reel, as for line I use Trilene XT 6lb test....

For chrome I use a 11 and half foot Swan Noodle Rod Company Super Light action Emerald with a 6740 President series Pflueger reel. Strangely enough with it I used to use Trilene XT 6lb test on this combo with 4lb XT leaders until I started using Raven Main Line florescent green line which I have to say is about 40% cheaper than trilene and much more abrasion resistent. Started using flourocarbon leads but haven't found one yet that does the trick consistently yet...

My number one go-to rod would be my Abu Garcia Conolon 7ft classic-action and my Abu Garcia Ultra-Cast 1000 spinning reel.

The line on it is 10lb test (2lbs diameter) Power Pro...

I also have an Abu Garcia Max-Action 6ft teamed with a Daiwa Triforce baitcaster and 10lb trilene, I don`t use this one much because of bad back-lashes. Guess I`m going to have to practice with it a little more this summer..