Won our tourney today

steverowbotham

Kelli and I fished stop 4 of 4 in our BPS Series today on Simcoe/Cooch, 18 boats. There was a lot of pressure on us being that Cooch is "my lake". I have been on some good fish lately, so my gameplan was to go for largies to start then run to Simcoe and swing for the fences. We got to our first spot, a milfoil bed in about 10 feet of water and I pitched my jig into the weeds. The jig didnt even hit bottom before I felt the thump. I set the hook and a 3.5 pounder came out of the weeds. As I was lifting the fish into the boat, Kelli set the hook on a 4 pounder. Good start. We put them in the livewell and kept pitching. About 40 mins later, I hooked a 2 1/4 pounder and when I went to put her in the livewell, the plug was loose, the water was drained and the fish were dead. This has never happened to me before and it was pretty heartbreaking, but we kept plugging away. Kelli put a few 1.5 pounders in the well and we had our limit. I hooked and lost a 4+ on a topwater and it was time to go to Simcoe. We put some miles on the merc today hitting waypoint after waypoint and only got 1 smallie to show for it, a 4.20 pounder. Back to Cooch for some largies. We got into a school of 2 pounders and started culling. Guess what? I culled too many and we were down to 4 fish. I broke off another 4+, but managed to pluck a 1.6 pounder off a dock before weigh-ins to salvage the limit, but I was not happy.

We had 2 dead fish penalties and ended up weighing 16.40 pounds for our 5. Fortunately for us it was tough all around and we managed to win it! It was a stressful day, but we pulled through and thats what its about, plus a fellow competitor is enjoying some BBQ largies on me.

6729_141728188091_502843091_3377052_1353416_n.jpg

Kelli and I fished stop 4 of 4 in our BPS Series today on Simcoe/Cooch, 18 boats. There was a lot of pressure on us being that Cooch is "my lake". I have been on some good fish lately, so my gameplan was to go for largies to start then run to Simcoe and swing for the fences. We got to our first spot, a milfoil bed in about 10 feet of water and I pitched my jig into the weeds. The jig didnt even hit bottom before I felt the thump. I set the hook and a 3.5 pounder came out of the weeds. As I was lifting the fish into the boat, Kelli set the hook on a 4 pounder. Good start. We put them in the livewell and kept pitching. About 40 mins later, I hooked a 2 1/4 pounder and when I went to put her in the livewell, the plug was loose, the water was drained and the fish were dead. This has never happened to me before and it was pretty heartbreaking, but we kept plugging away. Kelli put a few 1.5 pounders in the well and we had our limit. I hooked and lost a 4+ on a topwater and it was time to go to Simcoe. We put some miles on the merc today hitting waypoint after waypoint and only got 1 smallie to show for it, a 4.20 pounder. Back to Cooch for some largies. We got into a school of 2 pounders and started culling. Guess what? I culled too many and we were down to 4 fish. I broke off another 4+, but managed to pluck a 1.6 pounder off a dock before weigh-ins to salvage the limit, but I was not happy.

We had 2 dead fish penalties and ended up weighing 16.40 pounds for our 5. Fortunately for us it was tough all around and we managed to win it! It was a stressful day, but we pulled through and thats what its about, plus a fellow competitor is enjoying some BBQ largies on me.

6729_141728188091_502843091_3377052_1353416_n.jpg

Nice work Steve, see if Rossi will eat those largies.

RY

First off ,congrats.

As a bass tourney guy,not sure I would want to add fuel to the fire.

Yeah dead fish happen,but to post them in a pic ???????

Is this the first time someone has posted a pic of a dead fish on the site???

First off ,congrats.

As a bass tourney guy,not sure I would want to add fuel to the fire.

Yeah dead fish happen,but to post them in a pic ???????

Poop happens man... so a couple of bigger bass died. They were given to somebody and enjoyed on the BBQ. I don't keep bass myself but when my parents were down a few weeks ago we kept 6 largies for the fryer - and they were darn good!

Nice fish Steve and Kelli, and congrats on the win....maybe next time Kelli should do the culling though! :P

Cheers,

Ryan

Is this the first time someone has posted a pic of a dead fish on the site???

NO

Im not jumping on Steve here.

We all know that tourneys are under QUESTIONING about keeping and transporting and all that stuff. IMO taking a pic of dead tourney fish,is fuel.

And like I said in my first post,Yeah dead fish happen.

Again Congrats on your win Steve and Kelli.