Muskie Report

cowanjo

Good Evening all please see attached on photobucket - I can assure you my week off was even better but what can I say - the old canon camera in the boat needs to be replaced and my neighbour Sean has a lot to answer for from Saturday night and his camera phone! (His loss - biggest fish of the week photo is somewhere in the muck of the lake)

Hope everyone enjoys - This was on a great little lake in Ontario and even better to share with friends none of the people in these photos had ever caught muskie before!. Over the week we boated 20 plus muskie - no records no trophys but big solid chunky fish regularly. All released - (although given water temp 78 plus worried about mortality - any suggestion would be awesome)

All were in 18 to 26 feet - casting double cowgirls black and trolling believers - I want to thank everyone for helping out an australian coming to canada in the last couple of years, I added a walleye photo from June and of course my son with his icefishing rod bass. Never fished more than 2 hours just before and after dusk

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m134/co...mview=slideshow

Awesome job! I remember reading muskies like to bite even more at night.

"great little lake in Ontario " Do you mean port severn little lake. I don't remember little lake being so full of muskies. Perhaps you were fishing in Gloucester pool which is generally deeper then Litlte lake? I should be there Wed if the weather holds up. :D Can't wait!

"All released - (although given water temp 78 plus worried about mortality - any suggestion would be awesome) "

I'll state the obvious- try to keep it in the water as long as possible. Usually thats where using a muskie cradle comes in handy. Most time for my fish is spent on hook removal. Then 10 sec to photo and measure, and back in she goes. On release hold her lightly by the tail. The goal now is to get oxygen back into the gills by moving her forwards. Then big splash and shes gone.

Tons of info on google on muskie release eg: http://www.pastikas.com/index.php?option=c...&Itemid=149

http://www.muskiesinc.org/ss/site/content/...06-TipsRele.pdf

Edited by Syn

Here's a great tip right from Pete Maina himself, that I've used countless times.

When the water temps are high, there's more oxygen near the bottom, SO, point your Musky on a 45 degree angle, head down.

You'll almost always get a twitch right away, & she'll be gone very soon afterwards.

Ever notice when you're standing in a lake your feet are always colder than your waist?

And NEVER pull a Musky towards you. This rushes water past the gills alright, but you're drowning the fish.

That might explain why they don't swim backwards.... ;)

Here's a great tip right from Pete Maina himself, that I've used countless times.

When the water temps are high, there's more oxygen near the bottom, SO, point your Musky on a 45 degree angle, head down.

You'll almost always get a twitch right away, & she'll be gone very soon afterwards.

Ever notice when you're standing in a lake your feet are always colder than your waist?

And NEVER pull a Musky towards you. This rushes water past the gills alright, but you're drowning the fish.

I wasn't sure if that was myth or not. Thanks for correcting me.

Torpedoing it also is good to use if you think you are going to lose your grip (especially really big ones) on the fish and you want to ensure it does not land in the boat. Point its head downwards 45 deg and let her go.

Edited by Syn

Gills...?

Gill are for Fish as Alveoles are for Humans.

They are used to extract O2 from the H2O to survive....They only work in one direction..kinda like a check valve.

Follow the Gill plate and ..as much as possible stay away from the Gills...If' You've cut your fingers You've gone too far.

n727706819_1434310_6018.jpg

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

Gills...?

Gill are for Fish as Alveoles are for Humans.

Gills are for fish like lungs are for humans...

Lamellae ( primary/secondary) are for fish as alveoli are for humans?

I hope I have this right... or face embarrassment for trying to correct an elder :(

I think the following excerpt from a Gainesville Educational Institution technical e-publication explains the importance, or lack thereof, of water washing over the gills from the back.

A. Introduction

Because the branchial epithelium is essentially a monolayer of mixed cells (mostly squamous PVCs on the lamellar surface), and the medium irrigates the external surface countercurrent to the internal perfusion (see sect. II), the fish gills appear to be ideal for gas exchange. The ratio of irrigation (ca. 5,000eC20,000 ml ・ kgeC1 ・ heC1) to perfusion (g/) is generally of the order of 1eC8 but may approach 50 in very active, pelagic fishes such as tuna (by substantial increases in g), and oxygen extraction efficiencies vary from 50 to 90% (69), higher than those described for mammals. The metabolic cost of gill gas exchange is substantial, however, because of the low solubility of oxygen in aqueous solutions (7 ml/l; 3% that in air) and the high viscosity (800 times air) and density (60 times air) of the medium. Thus the cost of routine ventilation may be 10% of the oxygen uptake (O2), and it may approach 70% of O2 during exercise, when ventilation volumes may triple (reviewed in Ref. 593). Pelagic fish species reduce the cost of ventilation by utilizing forward movement and open mouths to drive water across the gills (termed ram ventilation; Ref. 648).

B. Lamellar Gas Exchange

The actual site of gas exchange is assumed to be the lamellar epithelium, but no direct measurements of lamellar versus filamental gas permeabilities have been published. The lamellar surface is likely the primary site, because various studies have shown a correlation between lamellar surface area and respiratory needs (e.g., benthic vs. pelagic) or measured rates of oxygen uptake (reviewed in Ref. 593). In fact, recruitment of distal lamellae is generally considered to be a means of increasing gas exchange, although this hypothesis is largely based on two studies that demonstrated that only 60eC70% of lamellae in rainbow trout and lingcod (Ophiodon elongatus) were perfused at rest (54, 207). In the trout, lamellar perfusion was measured by the distribution of vitally stained erythrocytes after infusion into trout via a cannula in the ventral aorta; in the lingcod, the distribution was measured by perfusion of isolated branchial arches with saline containing Prussian Blue dye. In both cases, it is unclear if lamellar perfusion mimicked the in vivo condition. Our own videography of blood flow through the gills of American eels (Anguilla rostrata) or longhorn sculpin (Myoxocephalus octodecimspinosus) indicates that even distal lamellae are perfused in anesthetized individuals, so lamellar recruitment may not be a general phenomenon (e.g., Fig. 17). The respiratory (lamellar) surface area is generally 0.1eC0.4 m2/kg but may be as high as 1.3 m2/kg in tuna (equivalent to human)

Can someone please translate for me?

I think it's saying that direction don't make no nevermind to the fishy.

JF

Ya ya, the first layer of the cells of the lamallae are the sites of gas exchange...

... I dont think its unidirectional because either way the fish moves, oxygen rich water displaces oxygen depleted water...

The actual gill is designed to have water flowing one way and probably is designed in a manner which that one particular way is better than the other, again, just trying to recall stuff from school

I never thought about Randys comments - I will stay away from the gills especially when holding them up after getting out trebles and get them back in quickly. So far I have never had mortality (They have all swum away with a good kick) - just wondering after reading the best way.

Does anyone replace the trebles with singles or maybe use wire cutters and not have to pull them out of the fish. I spent last night filing down barbs!

It actually used to be posted in the regs not to drag them backwards through the water....I think....maybe... :dunno: I do know that people "drown" sharks by tying them up by the tail and dragging them behind the boat....how they lasso the suckers in the first place is beyond me :D

Anyway...good job on the 'Lunges....thanks for the report!

Sharks are not like most fish, no bones etc, etc. Sharks also have to swim forward to "force" water over their gills. Dragging a shank back wards with a motor is not the same as moving a fish back and forth at the side of the boat.

I guess no fish has ever faced down current before? They would all be belly up.

MB-Bad advice is worth less than no advice. :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Hmmmm, pretty sure if a fish found itself in a 'down current' situation, it'd probaby be smart enough to just simply turn itself around.

I'm also pretty sure I've seen Rainbows do this ummmmmm.....lemme see.....oh yeah, ALWAYS.

Dude, if you're saying I gave bad advice, you truly are one of the reasons I don't waste my time posting reports anymore.

Also one of the reasons I won't bother giving 'bad' advice anymore. I'll let the experts like you do it for me... :asshat:

Hmmmm, pretty sure if a fish found itself in a 'down current' situation, it'd probaby be smart enough to just simply turn itself around.

I'm also pretty sure I've seen Rainbows do this ummmmmm.....lemme see.....oh yeah, ALWAYS.

Dude, if you're saying I gave bad advice, you truly are one of the reasons I don't waste my time posting reports anymore.

Also one of the reasons I won't bother giving 'bad' advice anymore. I'll let the experts like you do it for me... :asshat:

If rainbows “always” face upstream, how do they get back to the ocean or lake? You did state that fish don’t swim backwards.

If you’re unhappy about a widely, although incorrect, angling myth being taken to task, that is unfortunate. Presenting ideas and theories is a great way for people to improve themselves.

I believe the “torpedo” method you referred to does work, although it does take some skill to do it right. High risk for the reward. I have no issue with that. It is however increasingly more difficult and dubious as the fish (and the boats) get bigger.

The point I was trying to make with my question was that this idea that water going one way though a fish is “good” and the other direction “bad” is incorrect. Should I move a fish in the water like a salt shaker? No, of course not. Is moving a fish back and forth gently the only real option in still and or warm water? Yes, unless you recommend someone walking around the perimeter of their boat (Is that clockwise or counter clockwise? I can never remember.) so that the fish is getting the “fresh” water moving over its gills.