Need a new spinning reel...

grinandbearit30

Have you given thought to whether you want front or rear drag?

Rear drag is cool because I can pop off the spool just by pushing the button and I like how I can adjust the drag quickly using the paddle, although it does have a dial for initial drag tuning. Those two reasons are why I went to rear drag reals.

Anyhow I'm partial to shimano. So ~$70 Spirex , ~$75 Sedona, $48 Sedona RB, $74 Semetre RI (IIRC older model)

Then just decide on size based on the rod you have and what lb fishing line you use. The capacity and lb are on the side of the spool. Any good guy at the fishing store will help you pick the right reel.

Spend some time with the reeel on a store rod and get the feel for it to make sure you like the handle and so forth, because you'll be using it all day long.

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp09/fishi...mano_sahara.pdf

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp09/fishi...ano_symetre.pdf

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp09/speci...ials_page_b.pdf

Edited by Syn

These are great suggestions....but I am also wondering about the my browning reel itself...im not sure what caused it exactly...but the handle just whipped out and went flying into the water...is this a sign of poor quality or did I just abuse it too much being a rookie

Does it have a knob on the other side and did you tighten it? That always loosens off over time, thats what holds the handle in place.

I second the Pfleuger President series of spinning reels. Had mine for 4 yrs now and they have been exceptional value for the money.

If you don't want to buck up for the President, I use a Pflueger Trion, which is not as sweet as a President, but very nice indeed, and has treated me well.

it dissapeared in the water as well......so it is starting to look more and more like it was dumb-asses fault...should i try to fix it..or replace it.

You could just buy another handle, likely $20, or buy a higher quality reel with fancy features and pass this reel to a sibling or put it on a spare rod.

Edited by Syn

Sounds like you just need the the nut on the other side of the reel to screw the handle back in.... They usually unscrew so you can swich from right to left, or if you unscrew it half way you can collapse the handle...

If you don't have the nut for it than just replace the handle or bring it to bass pro. Definitely not worth $100 for a new reel unless you're looking for an excuse to tell your wife why you need to buy more gear ;)

Well busted up my reel trying to get my spinnerbait out of an overhanging tree (I'm like Bill Dance sans the fish). Could you folks kindly suggest a replacement reel in the 50 -100 buck range. Trying to fish Bas, Pike, Walleye.

Definitely would suggest a Shimano Symetre 2500FJ. I just picked one up from a place on Hwy 7 east of Cambridge/Kitchener. It cost about 120, so a bit more than you mentioned.

I researched a bunch of reels quite a bit being buying one last month. I had narrowed it down to three Shimano reels. The Sedona, Symetre, and Sahara. I personally would save for a couple more weeks and get the Symetre, it is just an amazing reel and I couldn't imagine not having it now that I bought it. I really love it.

But if you don't want to splurge on the Symetre, then I would suggest the Sedona. It is $99 everywhere I believe and I think even Canadian tire might sell that one.

Either way if you get a Shimano, I would go with a 2500 series model. It is medium duty and can handle finesse/ light weight ( 5'6"ugly stick of mine) rods, and can also take care of a 34" walleye :D on a 6' 6" rod.

Go with a good quality and highly regarded company and you won't be disappointed!!!

Tightlines!

Definitely would suggest a Shimano Symetre 2500FJ. I just picked one up from a place on Hwy 7 east of Cambridge/Kitchener. It cost about 120, so a bit more than you mentioned.

I researched a bunch of reels quite a bit being buying one last month. I had narrowed it down to three Shimano reels. The Sedona, Symetre, and Sahara. I personally would save for a couple more weeks and get the Symetre, it is just an amazing reel and I couldn't imagine not having it now that I bought it. I really love it.

But if you don't want to splurge on the Symetre, then I would suggest the Sedona. It is $99 everywhere I believe and I think even Canadian tire might sell that one.

Either way if you get a Shimano, I would go with a 2500 series model. It is medium duty and can handle finesse/ light weight ( 5'6"ugly stick of mine) rods, and can also take care of a 34" walleye :D on a 6' 6" rod.

Go with a good quality and highly regarded company and you won't be disappointed!!!

Tightlines!

Sedona, Just in Luck 79 dollars on sale at CT. If not maybe the Cardinal is still on sale. Good reel for the price.

Shimano Sahara, Pflueger President, Daiwa Exceler.

I am confident any one of these three will last you for quite a while.

If you do go for something else, go closer to $100 and your reel will last you much longer than those that are cheaper.

Edited by EC1