yearly elk lake trip

oxcowboy

Ok so this years trip was supposed to be a little different. we had planned on doing a 10 day back lake camping trip, (totally roughing it). well it didnt quite work out that way. our county fair ran the week before which always means long days of work for me since i am a vocational agriculture teacher and i am in charge of several of the various youth livestock shows. on tuesday the following week, my family and i were putting in embryo eggs into a select group of cows, kinda like a surragate mother. sp? any how after working cattle all day i really didnt feel like driving the 17 hour trip so i called the guys and post poned till morning. we left the next morning drove all day and night and got to elk lake around 6 am the next morning. too early to buy our liscence and not enough time to take a good snooze, so we just kinda hung out till we could get our ice and fishing permits for the trip back to the lake. we stopped at the golden eagle camp to get our supplies ice for the beer and fishing permits and then were off to meet our friends back on the lake. they had headed up on sunday from halliburton and then spend the rest of the week. on the way in we met them coming out. they had enough already, severe weather, high winds and tons of rain. they advised us not to go any farther due to washouts and terrible trail conditions. GREAT well after a little pondering we decided to just head back to the golden eagle camp and tent it there. at least we would have access to hot showers and freezers and a fish hut.

After going back to the camp and getting everything set up we headed to a close lake and started fishing. we didnt catch alot, but plenty for our first fish fry of the year and tyler our newbie landed his first pike which was a nice 28"

100_0939.jpg

After a nice day's outing we headed back to camp and cleaned the fish and had a nice fry. the new owners of the camp(Bruce and Jennifer were also hosting a bon fire meet and greet for all the people staying at the camp that week, so we headed down to the fire with gifts of fish and ky black berry shine for the folks that had gathered for the evening. we met several nice people and had a good time with the rest of the camp and it was there that we met who would become our new friends and fishing partner for the week.

100_0960.jpg

Thomas and Jutta were a couple from Germany that had come to visit family in toronto and really didnt care much for the city life so they decided to jump in their rental car and head north. they happened to drive by the camp and decided that it might be a good spot to stay for the night, they enjoyed themselves so much they ended up staying all week. we ended up taking thomas out on our boat 3 days and got him on some fish.

thomas with his first canadian fish

100_0942.jpg

with the weather being a mess, the fishing was slow for us, we only caught about a third of what we usually catch, but for me it was a great trip, no engine failure, no trailer trouble, no hook removals etc.... plus plenty of beer.

100_0947.jpg

our groups catch for the freezer

100_0951.jpg

dinner one night with thomas and jutta and my partners

100_0966.jpg

my best for the week, you should have seen the one that got away

100_0967.jpg

thomas and jutta with a nice stringer our last day of fishing. thomas actually contributed to this stringer, which made him very proud i think

100_0983.jpg

celebrating a good weeks fish and new found friends with Bruce and Alex from the camp.

100_0987.jpg

we had a great time once again, and the golden eagle camp is in good hands once again, Bruce and Jen seem to be great host, and alot of fun.

I enjoyed talking with thomas and he was the perfect boat mate, i hope to stay in touch with his family in the future and share each others cultures.

Thanks for taking the time to read, sorry there isnt a whole lot of pictures, but it rained nearly everyday except for the day that it was supposed to and we went to the walleye lake to get skunked. lol

jason

Edited by oxcowboy

I recognize that place! LOL (Last year, Jason suggested Golden Eagle camp for my family vacation and we had a great time!) My kids keep asking me when are we going back to the cottage with the BIG water slide? So, obviuosly, the kids liked it, so did I, but my wife just wasn't up for the 8+ hour drive! <_<

Funny, but I didn't catch one pike last year! Pickereyes and smallies were our victims!

Thanks for renewing my memories and taking the time to write it up!

HH

I've been waiting to see this report lol

Looks like you guys had fun, too bad about the weather though, it's always cool to meet new people from strange lands without having to shoot them lol

It is a LONG drive up there, but well worth it.

Thanks for the report.