SSM Report- from the past week or so.....

TDunn

Hey guys,

Well the weather up here in the Soo has been terrible. Good for my job but bad for what counts....Fishing....But we have been toughing the weather out. Can you believe last week I was wearing my insulated guidewear bibs....

Last week I was out for meat actually. It is not a regular thing for me but I need to restock my smoked whitefish stash.

Fishing micro tear drops tipped with shad flies has been dynamite but waxies are taking fish also.

I dont have any action shots from the 2 evenings I went but i do have pics of two hauls.

003-1.jpg

this is from the second night I was out....

028-1.jpg

Now they are currently at the butchers being smoked.

Then I was out for a few passes in the St Marys for Atlantics. Nothing spectacular for us that night but we did manage one at about 10 pm.

Small salmon and we did box this fish as my auntie loves salmon and I had promised her a meal.

234.jpg

7-1.jpg

This Sat and Sun we had planned on going out to Whiskey Bay on St Joes Island for the annual cisco run but the ride over to the hole is a few miles through open water and we didnt feel comfortable heading out in the conditions (30km winds) in only a 16.5 boat. So we decided to chase smallies around in the area that is protected somewhat with the hope of a big pike crossing our path. Well the big pike never came....A few pike 2-3 pounds were caught but nothing picture worthy.The small mouth were not cooperating as much as we had anticipated but we did manage a bunch of smaller ones off the usual rock piles we fish. A few smallies were coming in at this size but most of them were smaller.

5-1.jpg

Then the weirdest thing ever. Dragging my tube as usual doing my thing and I notice we drift off the rocks we are fishing into weeds and low and behold bang fish on. I set the hook hard and instantly I know this isnt a smallmouth and to my surprise I see a largemouth bass twisting and turning below the boat. I have caught largemouth in Southern Ontario but this is the first largemouth bass I have ever caught let alone seen in the Soo area.

First Northen Ontario Largie

1-1.jpg

3.jpg

So we decide to head back to the same area the next day. We had a lot better weather on sunday. So we launch the boat and go to the furthest rocky shoal we fish and setup for a drift down one side of it. So I cast in over the shoal bouncing my tube along bottom and my buddy casts over the weedbed that runs along the side of the shoal. He hooks into a solid fish, losses it at boat side but not before we see the fish and to our surprise another largemouth. Well I cast back into the area he hooked up with that fish and yup another northern largemouth.

12.jpg

Anyways we fished the weed pattern and we ended up landing four largemouth on sunday and a bunch of smallmouth on the smaller side. A Few snot rockets mixed in but again nothing bigger than 3 pounds.

8-1.jpg

7.jpg

6-1.jpg

My cousin who I usually fish with got up to the park for a quick visit to Mijinemungshing. He sent me over some pics so I thought I would share with you guys....

1-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

All fish were caught jigging tubes tipped with half of a smelt I believe.....

Nothing big this past week or so...Been working hard for every bite but I hope that will soon change.

Anyways I might go for whities one more night and do another small batch of smoked fish but I hope to get out for some walleyes again soon....

As Dr. S has mentioned the atlantics are on downtown and those to might get more attention in the coming week or so.....

Take care,

TDunn

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i had heard of largies at echo bay, pumpkin point etc. but i'd never fished those areas.

nice whities!

i don't know what gives with the weather...it's been a little warmer (and a little more stable) the last few so i think tomorrow's my day to get out. not settled yet on smallies or walters.

Awesome report...thanks for sharing! Got a picture of your whitefish jigging set-up...? I'd love to see it if you don't mind sharing :)

Here you go Johnny!

this is the barrel, bead and bullet sinker.....eggsinkers and no bead works fine too...

012.jpg

business end....remember tied knot so hook hold horizontal in the water

016.jpg

complete rig from a distance....hope you can make it out

017.jpg

I use a 10.5 foot noodle rod....ultra light reel and line......4# sometime 2#....Fluoro leader.....

slow raise and ever so slight jigging routine....

Hope this helps....

TDunn

Largies in the near north... A sign of things to come??!

cheers

HD

Interesting, just what I was thinking...Not sure tho....we did get a crappie near this area 2 winters ago....never seen one up here before either....

I could handle some slabs and buckets along with everything else.....

TDunn

hey those are some nice fish. i was out fishing around pine island this past weekend for the first time and we got a bunch of largies(first for me) and my buddy with the camp out there says hes been getting them for as long as i can remember. My buddy has caught largies in the carp river and batchewana river north of the sault. also i've heard of the odd catch of a largie or 2 in the st.marys. i haven't heard to many ppl getting largies in the inland lakes. Maybe they could work their way up into some of the lakes their river systems like the thesslan river or something but ya they are around!