Firewall, Virus Protection

Going to be getting a virus security/firewall/internet security program thing from Staples some time this week. Would like to know of some of the better programs out there for purchase(at a store)...only looking to spend between 50-100 bucks on a system...hopefully something that lasts a year or 2

Thanks,

Mike

Dont waste your time/money on those programs.

You dont "need" any software like that.

The only way you get a virus is if you click/open something you shouldnt.

If you feel as though you want something, then like ColdH2oGuy said, AVG is free.

Like they said... AVG.

I had Norton at one time... probably effective, but expensive and it slowed down my computer in a major way.

I've been using AVG for at least 5 years now.

you can get a virus just going to a website

Maybe those are the sites you don't want to be going to. :whistling:

I've never run anti-virus on any of my machines, and have never got a virus.

So, no you dont absolutely need it.

someone who know about computers and is internet smart, sure they don't need protection, maybe

but anyone who needs to ask about them sure as hell needs virus protection and I do think it is a bit risky suggesting to someone like that, that they don't need one

and if they have kids then protection is the name of the game

ǝuo ǝʌɐɥ ı ʞuıɥʇ ı 'sdoo

uoıʇɔǝʇoɹd snɹıʌ pǝǝu ʇ,uop noʎ 'ɥɐǝʎ ɥo

Edited by Terry

AVG will do you fine.

It won't waste resources and it will keep you virus free.

Also if you want to avoid malicious code from websites use Mozilla Firefox and you can look at what ever crazy sites you want! :canadian:

ǝuo ǝʌɐɥ ı ʞuıɥʇ ı 'sdoo

uoıʇɔǝʇoɹd snɹıʌ pǝǝu ʇ,uop noʎ 'ɥɐǝʎ ɥo

Now how on God's green earth did you do that!? :clapping:

Maybe those are the sites you don't want to be going to. :whistling:

I don't go to them either. :angel:

Here's the deal,

Antivirus software isnt needed if your a smart internet user, not clicking on random links sent to you at 3am from someone on your MSN messenger list... that claims to have found pictures of you etc.. etc..

dont download random things from the internet just because it says "free"

and if a pop up comes up flashing saying you have a virus click here to remove it... chances are you dont want to click it.

As for firewall, its only useful if your using newly released operating systems or specificly have a need to block one or more programs from getting out to the internet ( like you want to prevent your kids from playing World of Warcraft all night long to feed their addictions...

If you have a Router ( wireless or otherwise ) you already have a NAT firewall build in where you can block ports you dont want. Just need to educate yourself on what its doing. Can also be used to track if software on your computer has requested ports to be opened.. so if you downloaded some free fishing game, and all of a sudden its opened 1/2 dozen ports on your router.. shut the ports down.

People who spent $100 on Norton and Mcaffee etc.. or even worse those whole "internet security and antivirus suites" that claim to do all for you.. well thats not only a terrible waste of money but it'll slow your computer down sooooooooooooooo much.

if you MUST have something, 2 programs is all you need both are free

AVG free , and MBAM (Malware Bytes Anti-Malware)

these two applications will keep you clean even if your ignorant to your random clicking of website pop ups.

yes--you need virus protection--keep you computer patched with the latest security updates as well

download Spy Bot Search and Destroy--free version

MBAM is also excellent as stated-Free

the web is a wild place to play unprotected

AVG is fine Avast is better--both FREE

the Nortons of the world will slow your box down because they are resource hogs--Norton is almost virus- like in itself--lol

if you insist on purchasing a 360 degree security solution, you can do no better than Kaspersky-i think they have a 30 day free trial

Good luck with it all

Avast is better

I like Avast as well. I install it on all the computers I work on.

Most of the "full package" programs bog your computer down.

Just buy a router for your firewall and you're set. Plus if it's wireless you have the expansion for future toys

i used to use avg but the v8.0 became a resource hog.. i think they are on v8.5 now maybe they resolved it or maybe they bloated it even more. regardless, i don't run any anti-virus software anymore and you certainly don't need it as some suggest. just be smart about things and you'll be okk.

Edited by Raf