4 stroke oil question

sneak_e_pete

Just bought a boat that has a 40hp four stroke. I have never owned one and have a question about the oil. The owner's manual says 10w30. Do you have to buy specific 4 stroke outboard oil that is 10w30, or is it just 10w30 oil? I went to CT and PartSource today and they didn't carry any 4 stroke outboard oil. Thanks.

I have a 90 hp Yamaha 4 sroke. I was about to start buying oil from somewhere like CTC, I figured a quality 10w30 like Mobil One would be fine. Doug Nagtegal from Bay City Marine spoke at our club in the spring, one of his recomendations was to stick to the Marine grade oils that are sold by Merc, Yamaha,Honda...They are formulated for the specific conditions of marine use...I decided to stick to Yamaha 10w30 4 stroke oil. Though I'm sure regular good quality 10w30 would be fine, why mess with a $10,000 Outboard...

Here is something to think about.

Rarely do you run your car wide open throttle or even 3/4 throttle for any length of time. In a boat it's often done.

My dad often said running a boat engine is like driving your car uphill all the time. It's a good analogy.

Don't piss around with the wrong kind of oil.

Use what is recommended.

I agree with you bernie the boat is usually run hard and put away wet for a few days or even longer when work gets in the way. The advances in marine lubrication and rust prevention on the lubrication side of the motor is really important. A friend of mine have learned that their is a difference between car oil and aircooled motorcycle oil the hard way. Granted he was racing and the engine was pretty wired up but the oil spectrum came back as scorched and coked. I think to pay the small extra for the special blend is a good investment when you are talking how much it cost to repair after an oil related issue.

Art

Stick with the Dealer Brand Oils........ :worthy::worthy:

:whistling: Have you ever seen a Merc or Yama or Honda oil field where they drill for oil? It's the specs on the oil container that confirm that the oil can be used for Brand A, B, C etc outboard. None of the Dealers refine or make their own brand of oil.

:whistling: Have you ever seen a Merc or Yama or Honda oil field where they drill for oil? It's the specs on the oil container that confirm that the oil can be used for Brand A, B, C etc outboard. None of the Dealers refine or make their own brand of oil.

yep. They just pay the oil company to put it in a jug with there name on it.

But you know what, the cost is the same. So I humor them and use it. When the motor blows and they say you should have used Yamaha oil, I can say I did.

When I was getting my 2 stroke oil for free, I was using the free stuff.

Edited by Dara