evinrude e-tec or optimax

Hey guys, we are looking to repower our walleye boat. We have a 150 yamaha fourstroke from 2001. we wanted 2stroke direct injection power this time. I have heard some mixed reviews about the e-tec. Some have said the powerhead blows up! Some others have said they will never go back to another brand. Have any of you guys or girls had any good or bad issues with the e-tec? Another option is the optimax from merc. Now this is a good motor but is alot louder than the etec. I know many of you use the opti. How do you like it? The third and final option would be a hpdi from yamaha. Has anyone used the vmax? I dont need to worry about trolling at slow speeds because we have a kicker.

thanks guys,

Patrick

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

we have e-tec's on our large pontoon at work. i find our yamaha's have outperformed them both on the water, and in the reliability department. they always start easy and run smooth, and this is with HEAVY hours of operation...

personally i've always been a merc man myself, but these new yammy's might be changing my mind.

we have e-tec's on our large pontoon at work. i find our yamaha's have outperformed them both on the water, and in the reliability department. they always start easy and run smooth, and this is with HEAVY hours of operation...

personally i've always been a merc man myself, but these new yammy's might be changing my mind.

what kind of yamahas? fourstroke,carbed 2stroke,hpdi?How many hp?

Hey guys, we are looking to repower our walleye boat. We have a 150 yamaha fourstroke from 2001. we wanted 2stroke direct injection power this time.

Patrick

C'mon... admit it... you're mentally challenged! <_<

Only an Idjit Galoot would consider going back to a 2 stroke after owning a 4 stroke!

You kind of remind me of the "not-so-bright" folks around here that refer to Sauger as Jack SaLmon. :rolleyes:

Sorry bud but I can't help you on this question I have only owned Mercury outboard motors and non of them over 60 h.p. I think Bernie is out your way if he is close enough and rep's then the E-tec looks pretty good with him as the Mechanic. I can help you if you ever need help with Chrysler 318's if I can get parts for them in the future....shudder dread....... pray.

Art

C'mon... admit it... you're mentally challenged! <_<

Only an Idjit Galoot would consider going back to a 2 stroke after owning a 4 stroke!

You kind of remind me of the "not-so-bright" folks around here that refer to Sauger as Jack SaLmon. :rolleyes:

Lol. Yea we like our fourstroke. I dont get the point of them. I know you fourstroke guys will get mad at this but fourstrokes are overated. They might be quiet and somewhat reliable,but they are slow and heavy. A 2stroke has a power stroke everytime. A fourstroke has one every second time thus creating half the tourque. We dont need a quiet motor to troll...We have a 9.9 pro kicker for that. Are motor only hits 45 mph <_< . Now,before you guys say''well the prop is not rite,or it is set to high or low on the transom. We have a jackplate and an ss prop that hits 5950 rpm WOT. We want that scream, and feel like your riding a shotgun.. Are boat is rated for 150 hp. After i did the calculation from the us coast guard it says we should have a 176.5 hp motor. So a 175 would be at best. After all Its whoever gets to the spot first rite!

click the youtube link and you will know what im talking about lol.

The fourstrokes are quiet, and a sip better on gas then the hpdi motors.. Thats it.

thanks guys.

Edited by patrick scott

The 2 stroke smoke has brained your damage!!!... better check into rehab now!!!

Let something happen to that boat rated for a 150 with a 175 on it and see what the insurance company has to say aboot it!

... quit sniffin' the 2 stroke smoke and sober up boy!!

The 2 stroke smoke has brained your damage!!!... better check into rehab now!!!

Let something happen to that boat rated for a 150 with a 175 on it and see what the insurance company has to say aboot it!

... quit sniffin' the 2 stroke smoke and sober up boy!!

E-tecs are not suppost to smoke. Yea about the insurance thing... No comment. I think I'l sober up by cooking up some green beans and carrots from the steam off of my 4stroke. Thats another thing lol. When a treehugger sees you at the dock after a hard run when your motor steams, he will say a stupid comment like '' yea put another hole in the ozone''. thats when my dad starts the kicker and we have both steamin away lol :thumbsup_anim:

E-tecs are not suppost to smoke. Yea about the insurance thing... No comment. I think I'l sober up by cooking up some green beans and carrots from the steam off of my 4stroke. Thats another thing lol. When a treehugger sees you at the dock after a hard run when your motor steams, he will say a stupid comment like '' yea put another hole in the ozone''. thats when my dad starts the kicker and we have both steamin away lol :thumbsup_anim:

If you'll service your impeller at the proper intervals, you won't have steam!

... tell the tree huggers to go sniff the steam off of a cup of camomile tea if the wanna se a hole in the ozone!!!

get yourself a 150 Etec and turn that lil 13x17 prop just to get or maintain your max rpm at WOT,you will be real happy I hate Merc and id buy a Merc before another Etec,2 identical boats where built custom side console 20 ft all welded in Parry Sound,one was rigged here with a 150 Etec the other a 150 Suzuki 4 stroke,the Etec is turning a 17 the Suzuki a 23 wheres the torque ,how do I know ,the 150 E tec is on the new work boat,wanna mention the throttle surging on the Etec,Optimax or a new HPDI Yamaha would be my choice

Am I blind? :blink: I can't see where Scott says the boat is rated for a 150. I see that he says they have a 150 on it now though. :blink::dunno:

It's there all right: :D

Are boat is rated for 150 hp.

Patrick, there's a whole thread on 2 stokes vs 4 strokes if you want to compare them. It contains all the arguments pro and con.

Not a great idea to exceed the rating on the boat based on your own home-grown calculation.

Edited by Jocko

I agree IF your boat is only rated for a 150, don't put on a 175. Who cares about insurance - think about the safety aspect.

If you are looking for power - a carbed or DI 2 stroke is the way to go. If you want quiet then a 4 is right up your alley. It all depends on what you want to do with it.

My E-Tec story for the day - Couple of guys fishing the CSFL Tourney on the Tri-Lakes yesterday. Going to a spot, get up on plane, boat drops down 15-20 mph and comes off plane. At least 2 fuel injectors are toast. Call up a highly regarded local Marina on Buckhorn - 3rd boat this WEEK with the same problem. This is a new 150 HP E-Tec, with maybe 20-25 hours on it. The other 3 are all fairly new E-Tec's as well. I had always heard and read these motors were great, but after this story, not so sure. These guys basically threw away $350 in entry fees and had 3 fish in the livewell when this happened at about 10:00.

Edit - reading lots on other boards - some guys are happy with their black motors, but others hate them and have been in the shop with continual problems. Although I have read that the HPDI Yammies are a great motor, not as much bellyaching about them.

Edited by Dutch

Yea thats what i mean. The e-tecs have been soooooo unreliable is not funny. So much for 3 years no service and no break in period... The reason that i want a 175 on a 150 rated boat is beacuse I DID the us coast guard calculations with the keel and beam etc... it came to 176... But for insurance purposes I was thinking to stay with a 150. I dont think I will be going with etec anymore. I talked to my local marine shop and theey said 30 % of the sold etecs came back with a blown powerhead etc. Thats too much.I wish merc would come out with a 150 pro xs. They have a 115 pro and a 175 pro. What the hell lol? most boats in the 1750 to 1850 range are 150 max. But since I have all the yamaha riggings and gauges, The vmax would be good choice. Their in the middle of the pack. Until e-tecs Find their main problem wich is blown powerheads, I will not buy them.

Any other suggestions? I heard suzuki was a good motor. Correct me if im wrong but i think they have a LPDI (low pressure direct injection) I think its dumb but what do i know.

Patrick

he might be referring to the fact that the us coast guard rates boats for larger motors than the Canadian coast guard

so the same boat that can have a 150 in cnd can have a 175 in the us......must be the exchange rate

But for insurance purposes I was thinking to stay with a 150. I dont think I will be going with etec anymore. I talked to my local marine shop and theey said 30 % of the sold etecs came back with a blown powerhead etc. ... But since I have all the yamaha riggings and gauges, The vmax would be good choice. Their in the middle of the pack. Until e-tecs Find their main problem wich is blown powerheads, I will not buy them.

I'm sure you mean "we", since your Dad will be the one paying. ;)

I'm sure you mean "we", since your Dad will be the one paying. ;)

lol yea. Thats not bad since I spent half my darn wallet on a terrova from minnkota. He din't want it, but i did so i bought it :thumbsup_anim: . I Have not mounted it yet but im sure the autopilot will be worth the money. We have a 55 thrust <_< . Not enough power in heavy winds. we got a 101 this time. Heck i think it will get the boat on plane :thumbsup_anim: Jk

Patrick

he might be referring to the fact that the us coast guard rates boats for larger motors than the Canadian coast guard

so the same boat that can have a 150 in cnd can have a 175 in the us......must be the exchange rate

yea why is that??!! why do us canadians half to be the slowest to the honey hole :P If anyone watches next bite tv, they have a 300 verado. I think the max canadian is a 90 elpto. lol jk but I think its 250 on the tracker 21 ft tundra.?

Patrick

ITs been about 8 years since i owned a Suzie ...but parts and service were far a few between ...unless its changed the closest to our area was Port Dover on Erie...might want to consider that ...

Mine was a very thirsty motor ...Im now 4 stroke on my regular fishing boat and enjoy more money for lures and junk food ...

You are too dang funny Terry. I prefer to think of it as a goverment supported program to clean out the gene pool down here in the USA. I have fished from some of the go fast bass boats and the strongest memory was blasting off to the first hole in the spring and having ICE on the helmets........ If you have been to G2G at Lak Air you have seen my(loud) 40 HP jet drive outboard, it beats the 100hp plus boats to all of the good spots............it's not faster it only drafts 6 inches on plane so I get to travel in more of a straight line than you skeg running tiller/console boats.

Art