Did some crick fishing today

ciceri

Hey, so me and my mom fished for a bit today and didn't really catch anything, rockbass and perch, but my mom enjoyed the time together, so that was good.

Anyway, afterwards I phoned up my friend and was checking if he wanted to go fishing, it was around 7pm, we didn't want to fish the river again today, so we decided to take the canoe out to a creek and try our luck.

So we got unloaded and in the creek and i threw on a spinner to try my luck, time went by with no hits and I didn't see anything. Then I get something and it's going crazy on top of the water and gets off, but i saw some reddish on it, so must be some sort of trout! I was hooked though, I'd never had such a good fight from a small fish. I ended up loosing one more but landed 3! It was great, and my friends little brother ended up catching two too.

Heres a few pics of the success, I think they are speckle trout?

P7140190.jpg

P7140191.jpg

P7140192.jpg

P7140193.jpg

So now that we have this little spot, I wanna get some proper gear, a smaller rod and reel to start with some lighter line. So tomorrow I'm gunna check out the stock at Canadian Tire.

Does anyone have any recommendations for type of line and what # test?

And we're thinking of trying worms, would a bobber sketch them out?

Thanks,

Ciceri

Nice specks!!! Looks like a good outing to me. All I ever use for stream specks is 4LB line and a chunk of worm on a small #12 hook. Fill your spool real full with line, you will be able to cast much better. Pinch a small split shot a foot or so up your line...but only if you have too.

Small spinners work great too if you have room to cast.

Good luck next time out.

beautiful fish bud. those are definitely speckled trout (brook trout), and nice ones too. if you want to target them sportingly, use the lightest gear you can go with--ultralight rod and reel, and either 4lb or 6lb test. you'll slaughter them with a small float, small (#10-#14) hook, small splitshot, and a worm, but that's sort of the problem: you'll have a much harder time releasing these delicate little guys after they've swallowed the natural bait. i'd recommend using barbless artificials only for these fish, unless you're sure you want to keep a couple for dinner. once again, well done! any chance you can give a general indication of where this creek is?

beautiful fish bud. those are definitely speckled trout (brook trout), and nice ones too. if you want to target them sportingly, use the lightest gear you can go with--ultralight rod and reel, and either 4lb or 6lb test. you'll slaughter them with a small float, small (#10-#14) hook, small splitshot, and a worm, but that's sort of the problem: you'll have a much harder time releasing these delicate little guys after they've swallowed the natural bait. i'd recommend using barbless artificials only for these fish, unless you're sure you want to keep a couple for dinner. once again, well done! any chance you can give a general indication of where this creek is?

What type of line should i use? I was using 10lb fireline crystal tonight.

Why would it be harder to release them using worms?

And all I'm gunna say is Lindsay area.

Nice trout young man ....hope none of your friends seen ya fishing with your mommy...lol...j/k

Thanks... I think I'm good, no one saw me that i know, haha.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'd recommend 4 lb line.

i'd also recommend pinching down the barbs on your hook with a pair of pliers.

and if you're releasing them, i'd recommend not holding them vertical like in the first pic but that's just me.

nice stream brookies!

i'd recommend 4 lb line.

i'd also recommend pinching down the barbs on your hook with a pair of pliers.

and if you're releasing them, i'd recommend not holding them vertical like in the first pic but that's just me.

nice stream brookies!

Yes, that was the first one I landed, and afterwards I thought about it and started holding them the other way.

Brookies can be pretty aggressive and might swallow a natural bait- hence the warning about using barbless artificial. Just remember this and handle them gently. A longer shankd small hook with pinched down barbs should be fine. Don't forget to try grasshoppers!

Those are beauty specks. Like everyone is saying keep it to yourself or you soon wont have any of any size. However feel free to PM me the location and Ill be sure to keep it under my hat--LOL. You might want to take up flyfishing. Brook trout of that size are a hoot on a 4 weight flyrod

Brookies inhale worms, even the really small guys. If the spinners were working i would suggest keep on using them. I like to use #0-1 panther martens and 0-1 mepps. They are very good eating fish,my favorite actually but if your planning on releasing you should wet your hands first before handling them. Those are nice size brookies by the way.

Nice brookies!!! 4lb mono and #0 and #1 barbless spinners. I'd also keep an eye on the water temp. If it's close to 70 degrees, you might wanna fish for something else. Trout have a real hard time recovering in warm water like that...

Also, make sure you get your hands wet before picking them up, or even pick up a small trout net and leave them in the water.

beautie brookies....lyndsay area eh...I spent 4 yrs going to school in ptbo...pretty sure I know the creek you're talking about...there are a few in that area....

good on you for keeping a tight lip about it too.....it doesn't take much pressure...aka catch and keeping...to deplete a small fisheries like that....

spinners are great...i would suggest snipping off the treble and adding a tiny split ring with a single hook....will make it somewhat more snagless and easier to remove from the fish....i personally think better hookups too, fish don't throw the single hook as easily as the treble...

going barbless for everything and getting a pair of hemostats will help a lot too.....like other people have said using natural bait(gulp worms too) set the hook immediately...the fish will swallow live bait very quickly...if you have a deeply hooked brookie just cut the hook off, better odds of him surviving than ripping it out of his gut

jigs work great too...1-2" twister tails, dressed jigs ie maraboo or lindy guppy jigs, small cranks and jerk baits.....most people go tiny in small streams and that will get you the most hookups...but sometimes throwing something bigger in the deeper areas will call out the brutes....

Great report and pics Ciceri :thumbsup_anim:

Those are some beautiful brookies you caught!!! Congratulations :clapping:

I'd recommend an ultra light rod & reel combo with 4 - 6lbs mono Trilene XL Smouth Casting with just a small hook tipped with a dew worm and cast it out and let it free fall.... try and not let your shadow appear on the water, that might just spook them. You can also try casting a Mepps Black Furry #2 dressed, this is what we catch them on up here.

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

been said a million times now, but light mono--4lb or 6lb (or even 2lb!)--is the way to go for these delicate little fish. i use a 5'6" ultralight rod with 1000 (small) shimano stradic for my setup. if you can make the trip to somewhere other than crappy tire, you can get a nice little ultralight kit for pretty cheap. here's a couple of links actually:

bass pro 1

bass pro 2

lebaron or your local tackle shop will have a comparable selection no doubt. but i've never seen anything of the sort at CT...

as for worms & releasing, also been said: brookies inhale worms, and a fish hooked in the gut is very hard to safely release. no problem fishing this method, but make sure to do it only when you're planning for supper. and i would recommend not too frequently, unless you want to see your gem of a population disappear. if you want to fish under a tiny float, try dropping a barbless fly--any number of nymphs will do the trick. if you've got a fly shop in your area, go in and ask! you'll get pointed in the right direction.

can't tell you how envious i am of your catch. i was out yesterday in the blue mountains and got into some little guys, but nowhere near that quality. once again well done!

We went again today and went further up and nailed them, got one good size and kept it for my grandma, and kept another smaller one for us to try, it was alright, taste like chicken, haha...

We had worms, but we preferred the spinners, I'll put up the pic of the nicer one tomorrow maybe.

tastes like chicken? lol. speckled trout is my favourite freshwater fish. try just pan frying it in butter with a little salt...

We fried it up in butter but dipped it in flour first and put some garlic powder on too. It wasn't really like chicken, but pretty mild, which is good because I don't like fish at all, I rarely keep any fish, just for my grandma a few times a year, usually a bass and walleye, and one unlucky Muskie :(

Here's a picture of the one lastnight, it was already dead in the pic thats why it's pail, and looks really big, haha...

P7140190-1.jpg

that's a gorgeous brookie. seriously, keep this spot under your hat and if i were you, i'd release nearly every fish i caught.

yea, we plan on to from now on. We just kept the two so we could see if we liked it for future purposes, and my grandma loves fish.