Simcoe Musky OOPS! I am so sorry and embarrassed

Cudz

My fishing partner went out to our bass spot with a mutual friend of ours today and they managed to catch a 17 pound musky. You don't see that very often on Lake Simcoe. THe bass fishing there has been a bit slower than usual. Hmmm, wonder if a big musky was scaring away the bass.

I have not seen the pictures yet and my friend is not the best at identifying fish but he swears it is a musky and not a pike. (He once confused a chinook salmon with a steelhead)

EDIT: I am so sorry about this. You have to forgive me. I can't believe that I came on here after my buddy tells me it is a musky and I see the pics and it is a pike. I don't know who is dumber, me for posting here before I saw pics or my buddy for his inability to identify fish species.

I am so embarrassed. The fish looks nice and healthy but IT IS A PIKE NOT A MUSKY! I am going over to his house to punch some sense into him.

Edited by Cudz

Muskies Canada has been working on reintroducing Muskie into Lake Simcoe for a number of years. This could be a good sign that they are healthy.

When they get released the fingerlings are about 8 to 10 inches long and will generally take about two years to reach 24 inches. After that there isn't too many predators around, large enough to bother them.

Tom.

I will have pics tonight at 11pm. I will post them. I am anxious to see them as well.

Oh , and here is the kicker. It was caught on a 2" crankbait using 8 pound mono, no leader!!

Edited by Cudz

No leader required,just photos.LOL

They are in Couch,so Im not surprised he got one in Simcoe.

There are stories still of guys getting them on the flats in the north/east part of simcoe.

Looking forward to the back ground shot.HAHA

No leader required,just photos.LOL

They are in Couch,so Im not surprised he got one in Simcoe.

There are stories still of guys getting them on the flats in the north/east part of simcoe.

Looking forward to the back ground shot.HAHA

LOL.

I will fix the background shot. IT will exactly the same as all the bass/perch photos.

IT was in the Barrie Marina ;)

Post it anyhow, we can argue if it's a musky or not :)

Bill, I just got off the phone with him and he swears up and down it was a musky. I have since imposed a rule about identifying fish. He is not allowed to ID any fish or send out emails until I have seen the pics.

I will post them. LOL!

I should get banned from here for starting such a story. I have heard of a few musky taken in Simcoe and a few in Couch so it wasn't as far fetched as one might think. When I was on the phone with him I asked him again and again if he wasn't confused and he said he was 100% positive it was a musky. the only 100% he was, was wrong.

Ok,

Here is the fish. It is a really healthy looking PIKE. Fat and all fins seem to be in great shape. He didn't have a measuring tape but he figures 40+ inches. He is 6'2" tall so that should give you some perspective.

livinstonepike.jpg

[(I have another pic but you can see exactly which boat in the Barrie Marina it was caught near)

Edited by Cudz

That is a Monster. But how do you mistake that for a Muskellunge? You better start sending him pictures and quizzing him.

Don't even get me started. He sent an email to eveyone saying how he caught this nice rainbow and when I looked at it it was a chinook. Then when he caught a rainbow he thought it was a chinook. Go figure.

That's easily over 40, probably pushing 45.

Get him one of those fish charts, laminate it and make sure you tape it to his boat :)

It is a big fish. And as much as I am ragging on him I have to give him some props too. He managed to catch and land the fish using 8 pound mono and no leader. He also did not have a net! Good effort. Too bad it wasn't a musky.