Outboard problems on a 40HP 2 stroke merc

dada2727

I have a 40HP 2 stroke oil injected Merc, it's either a 2004 or 2005 and am having some problems. The problem only occurs at a higher RPM, most noticably at full throttle. When I have it wide open, it seems like it's missing or not firing on all cyclinders (its a 3 cylinder) but I just had it tuned up and the carbs cleaned. It will run fine if I continuously adjust the trim up, down, up, down...and so on, but as soon as I stop adjusting the trim it starts doing it again. I'm thinking it might be electrical because I just spent $350 getting water removed from the carbs apparently.

I had this problem a couple years ago and I had it fixed and they told me it was something like a "starter coil" but I'm not completely sure. I just remember they showed me some wires that were melted together.

Any thoughts?

Its funny you post this, because my 2 stroke 40 mariner started doing the same thing. Only at WOT. I can run 3/4 throttle no problem, but as soon as I crack on it, she misses.

I have no idea what it is. I was going to post the same question.......it will idle, troll, run at any speed but wide open no problem. As soon as I crank it open it misses, so I back off.

I don't think running seafoam is going to help, I run it in every tank of gas, and I decarb it a few times a year too. She's as clean as a whistle, and the carbs are mint.

I almost thought it was starving for fuel at full throttle?

S.

Are you using fuel without ethanol...?

I swear the issues I had with my 2 stroke 40 HP Merc all started when ethanol was introduced to gas. Since I had it rebuilt, I have switched to the highest octane gas from Esso, Petro Canada or Shell who do not put ethanol in them (they only put it in their lower grade fuels).

Are you using fuel without ethanol...?

I swear the issues I had with my 2 stroke 40 HP Merc all started when ethanol was introduced to gas. Since I had it rebuilt, I have switched to the highest octane gas from Esso, Petro Canada or Shell who do not put ethanol in them (they only put it in their lower grade fuels).

I have only found that Shell and Ultramar High test have no ethanol never heard that Esso or Petro didn't have it either

Well apparently it was just a spark plug, but we'll see. If it is, I feel kinda stupid but before for some reason I don't think it will be the end of it. Thanks fisherman, the Stator coil was the part I was thinking about that I replaced last year, some wires were melted together. To be continued........

I use regular and add stabil ethanol treatment

Ditto!

My problem was a bad o ring on the fuel filter cansiter. So far so good. If I pumped the ball while going WOT she ran fine, so I started at the tank, and worked my way back to the carbs and found the split O-ring.

S.