Buying First Boat

Dan668

Looking to get a deep v 14ft. I think it will be alright for a starter boat. Most of the time 2 people will be fishing. Once in a while 3. Any ideas of what type of motor hp is ideal. Is it possible to have an electric trolling motor up at the front. Or is the 14ft too small to have a deck built up front. Also i think a tiller would be best. More room. Boat will be for inland lakes in ontario. Not any of the great lakes. Strictly fishing too.

Also any dealers around Toronto good?

Thanks for the help. Havent actually gone to a dealership but will soon. So excuse my lack of knowledge lol. Any advice would be appreciated.

Don't be in a hurry just because you want a boat NOW!

If you are anxious, it leads to bad decisions. NEVER buy without first taking it out on the water.

If you are in doubt about the motor at all, do a compression check. Make sure the transom is sound.

What is your budget? Do you want that shiny new rig or a slightly used one or what? I was in the same boat last month. All spring long I'd had been looking for a 16 foot utility boat. Keep an eye on trader.ca, boattrader.ca, and kijiji. Use the price searches to narrow things down for you. Theres ALOT of 1995-2000 boat motor and trailer packs going for 4000$ and under.

I searched on boattrader and found a new non-current 2005 Princecraft Holiday 16' (83" Beam :D ) for 3500$ regular 4800$. If you want a 14 footer with a factory floor then a Princecraft Yukon DLX or a Lund WC 14 DLX is the way to start.

If you want to save some money and buy a bare bones utility boat THEN add/build the floor yourself, I seen quite a few 2008 Lund WC 16 footers going for 2800$ new on trader.ca.

If I were you I'd get the biggest bare bones boat you could get then add the floor yourself as time and money permits :) .

Don't be in a hurry just because you want a boat NOW!

If you are anxious, it leads to bad decisions. NEVER buy without first taking it out on the water.

If you are in doubt about the motor at all, do a compression check. Make sure the transom is sound.

Amen.

You need to have the mind set that you are on the lookout for a boat, and not that you want one right now. The saying good things come to those who wait is true you know, I can sell my boat for nearly double what I payed. Since your looking for a 14' like I was I would consider a princecraft or a lund, but not with benches with swivel seats. This allows you to have much more room. Tiller is the way to go to maximize space, especially when you don't intend on motoring out far. Remember you spend 95% of your time fishing and 5% of the time driving your boat, so why not have the extra room. Although if you were in the market for a 18'+, then you have the room for a console. Princecrafts or Lunds are a little more pricey, but one of the best boats made. I find their designs really maximize the amount of space in the boat.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

You decided you want a boat, so take the time to do some homework , make a wish list and window shop. Take a year if need be, until 'you' are happy with your choice.

Took me over a year to get what I was looking for. Not just for me, but my family as well.

I definitely agree with the posts about TAKE YOUR TIME. A boat is not something to rush into. I waited for just the right deal.

For $800, I got:

14 deep/wide boat in poor shape (few lose rivets, and some rotten wood on the seats)

1988 15Hp Merc in good shape (carb needed a few parts + cleaning)

Galvanized trailer in good shape (needed new lights/fenders)

I have rebuilt the boat interior, and painted the hull. Total cost into the boat is about ~$1600. That includes a bow mount trolling motor, new gas tank, wood, lights, etc...

The boat is rated for a 40Hp, so upgrades are coming soon!

The boat will handle Simcoe on most days.

If I were starting again, I would go with, at a minimum, a plain-jane deep 14' aluminum (not a V-hull necessarily but flat at the back), broad beam, and a 15 to 18 HP motor with tiller handle, definitely up it to 25 HP if it can be comfortably accomodated by the design. That kind of an outfit can take 2 or 3 people in comfort and can get you to where you want to fish (and home again) at a good clip.

I'm thinking particularly of a deep and wide 14' aluminum Crestliner a friend had. Great boat, but he always regretted getting an 18 HP Merc for it instead of a 25 like I had on my 15' Princecraft.

Such an outfit has a good resale value, but you might find that it's all you ever need. As one of the earlier replies said, you can also "customize" to suit your own taste, and you can do it a LOT cheaper than buying a boat that's already "fancied up".

Of course it all depends on what you want to spend in the first place.

thanks for the advice.

dont want to spend to much. Id say $6000 is tops. Could spend a bit more if i needed to.

Was considering buying a new boat, but getting a used motor/trailer.

I probably wouldnt be the greatest at fixing up an old boat.

I picked up a legend pro sport 14' and have a 15hp motor on it. Bought it this year and I'm very happy with it so far. The 15hp will push 2 people 21mph. If you have the money go for the 20hp if you can. This will give you much better boat planing with a heavy load. Trust me two guys, tackle, food, tank of gas, battery, trolling motor it all ads up fast, and you'll wish you had more power. The flip side is that you will probably not be able to move the 20hp motor off the boat if you had to alone, that's where the 15hp shines. More power than 9.9 but light enought to take off when you go to a conservation areas that won't allow gas motors. Why lug the extra weight. I made a plate up front for the boat so I could use a trolling motor up front and still have the gas motor on the back with no problems. I picked mine up for last years price so I got lucky and saved like 900 bucks. But it's worth the price for what you get. I also have a onboard live well. Which is great.

boat-mount.jpg

boatm3.jpg

boatm4.jpg

boatmount2.jpg

Well thats a creative way to utilize your old transom mount trolling motor!!

ya works like a dream. If you do something along the same lines I would advise you to get a long shaft for the trolling motor. I believe mine is 45" long. This way it will be in the water when the waves start bobbing the bow up and down.

I have a 14ft aluminum....if you want decent speed with three people I'd get a 20-25hp. I've used a 9.9 and 15 and they aren't enough once you put in a floor, trolling motor, batteries etc and 2-3 heavy guys.

Kijiji has lots of good deals on these boats. If you're handy you can really go to town and make these boats work really well!

For $6000 you can get an amazing setup!

Edited by scugog

Get the biggest and best you can afford and forget the 14 foot tiller I had one and grew tired of being cramped and having frost bite from the cold winds early and late in the season to say nothing of getting soaked when the waves and winds kick up.

The safety aspect should come into play as well there will come a day when you will want to go out on Simcoe and the lake will be nice and calm when the next thing you know the wind has picked and your into some 3 foot waves and you have a 6 mile run back to shore.

I have a boat now that is just shy of 17 feet and I wish it was two feet longer.

Since it is your first boat, chances are you will get to make all the "rookie" mistakes that all of us made with our first boats. Buying a used boat is easier on the wallet, plus you get a lot more for the dollar and when you do inevitably smack it around, it hurts a lot less as the "character" marks were already on there. I'd say look for an older but bigger boat. 16' with a 40 HP. Should be attainable for under $6000 and will be a lot more comfortable for 3 people and you will feel safer on those days where even the inland lakes feel a little rough.

Good luck and enjoy the search.

It all depends what you want. A deep and wide 14 to 15 footer with a tiller-handle 25 HP is probably the best all-round outfit there is. You'll see lots of this type of boat in Northern Ontario, and the type is also popular with lodges, though they generally power them with 15's - partly a cost factor I think, as well as a safety factor for people who are not necessarily real familiar with boats. (The power and speed of a 25 can get a novice in trouble a lot quicker than a 15.)

Make sure that the trailer you get has large wheels --- it's easier on the bearings and they will last a lot longer --- especially important if you are trailering long distances or trailering often. I'd suggest 12" rims.