Need new toys

Big Cliff

I am interested in getting a GPS/fish finder for the boat, I looked at the Lawrence M68C S/Map, does anyone have any experience with them, any recomendations? I do want colour, I do want a combination unit, I am sort of limited to space so I am thinking a compact rather than full size.

Help please!

all depends on your budget cliff, with the bigger screens you can split gps fishfinder functions and still easily read the screen.

right now i am saving my pennies for a lowrance hds 8 unit thout the bnird 1157 or 997 are in the running as well.

I have had about 8 graphs and had real good luck with the lowrance unit though they are a little$ I still have an old x-60 that works perfect, the lower line eagles i have had nothing put issues with.

Memart and I both bought the Lowrance LMS 520C and are very happy with it but I'm not sure if they still make it. The newer one is the high definition HDS 5 but I've heard there are some issues with them. Just remember you'll still need a GPS map card to have a map overlay.

We found the best prices were at Radioworld when the spring fishing shows were on. They are very restrictive with returns etc.

Of course, Bass Pro is the other option.

Cliff, whatever you decide on, I can pick it up for you here in Toronto and bring it to you in Lindsay if you need, just let me know.

Peter

Thanks for the replies! My budget is about $750.00 (but if Sue doesn't find out I could go a little higher, up to $1000.00). I have also been told by a very trusted source to stay away from the HDS units as there were some issues with them.

I'm still looking :rolleyes:

Cliff, we wanted to have a decent sized screen also, but the all-in-one units where just to expensive and when you split the screen, they ended up smaller anyhow.

I know you mentioned you have limited room, but have you ever thought about a separate graph and chartplotter?

I mounted my 565 on a piece of plywood with a stand for my H2Oc ... I like it because its very portable and its really easy to deal with batteries ... 2 AA for the H20c and one gell cell 12V for the 565 ... I think its a great compromise and I feel like I have the best of both worlds ... because I mounted it on a 'pop-in' mount I can take the GPS into the bush with me ... which is handy in the winter too :)

Well, I am still looking, just saw a really nice hand held GPS, the Garmin Colorado 300 (LOVE this thing) but after talking with Garmin's marine devision they told me that they had some issues with their newer Blue Chart packages and that they had been recalled. I really have to give Garmin technical support a lot of credit, they have been VERY helpful any time I have called them. Their Great Lakes map package doesn't contain enough detailed information for what I want and my off shore navigator software won't communicate with the 300 so that ruled out a lot of units and options, I am just going to keep looking and hopfully get it right some day soon!

Cliff I am a big fan of the Lowrance units. I Like the big screen units for a different reason. If you decide to get radar for the unit and you want to split screen it with the plotter the smaller screens will only allow you to do one or the other. I have used the split screen and with the both of them you can see your position of your boat and also actual reflections that I.D. other boats and reflection devices. It also lets you see more of a split screen graph/ plotter.

Art

Thanks Art! I really like Lowrance units too, my boat is only small and I doubt I'll be traveling much further than my home lake with it so I probably won't ever bother getting radar. It's amazing how many options and configurations there are out there.