Birthday Long Weekend @ Sparrow Lake... Mulit-Species Report

gone_fishin

First off, My buddy Josh and I have the same birthday (June 25), and oddly enough, we were even born the same year... so for our birthday we went up to his cottage with a few friends. fishing wasn't the main focus of the trip, but we planned on putting in at least a few hours each day.

we headed up to Sparrow Lake on Friday a little later than expected, but we were at the marina by about 10pm... the cool part about the cottage is that there is no road access to their property, so we had to get there by boat. so we got my boat launched and packed up their boat and mine, and we were off.

we didn't even wet a line that night, mainly because we got up there so late, and because we got into too many beers.

the next day started out late also... sometime in the afternoon, lol. but Josh and i got out for the evening to do some frog fishing in some thick weeds. we got into a few small bass and small pike. i got one semi-decent largemouth...

DC216.jpg

when we got back to shore we got a camp fire going and got our catfish gear ready. set them up with sliding egg weights and baited up with big suckers and chubs that we had bought from the bait shop... they were dead by the time we used them, but dead baits work just as good, if not better for cats. we didn't get anything that night, but something bit off my 65 lb power pro, and my buddy Jake's line was also bit off...

the next morning Jake was watching my set line when the clicker started going off. then he reels in the first Bowfin of the weekend... go figure, he catches it on my rod and i've never caught a Bowfin before, lol.

DC217.jpg

after that Josh and I went out to look for some bass, but all we found was a small deer...

DC218.jpg

DC220.jpg

DC222.jpg

the rest of that day we had pretty steady action off the dock. Josh caught a nice Channel Cat which was later released after we got a couple nice double header photos... he also caught another Bowfin. by this point i've had 3 fish on my line and missed all of them, 2 of them straightened my hook and the other bit through my 65 lb braid again! then i finally get on the board with my first ever Channel Cat, and i also got a nice pike shortly after as well.

DC225.jpg

DC226.jpg

DC228.jpg

DC227.jpg

we got into a couple more cats that night...

DC229.jpg

this one is a pretty cool picture, lol.

DC231.jpg

DC234.jpg

DC236.jpg

DC237.jpg

then the next morning i got the first and only solid bass of the weekend. only 3.5 lbs, but not bad for just casting off the dock...

DC238.jpg

DC239.jpg

later that night we put the set lines back out for cats and as we played cards we would periodically check them for fish, then check to make sure we still had bait on the hooks... after i don't know how many drinks, we went back down to check the lines, and my rod was suspended between the dock and the chair that we supported the rods on. i quickly grabbed the rod and landed another decent cat.

DC243.jpg

DC241.jpg

DC242.jpg

the next morning we went out in the rain and explored the lake a bit, only got a few small pike and 1 baby bass... no pictures of the fish, but we saw a small family of loons, which was kinda cool...

DC247.jpg

DC245.jpg

DC246.jpg

we came back to the cottage for breakfast, and before the food was ready Josh got another catfish... ended up being the biggest fish of the weekend weighing in at 10 lb 2 oz.

DC248.jpg

and a picture of the big one side by side with the one that i kept...

DC249.jpg

thats a heck of a report right there! awsome job on those kitty cats. im gonna try to hook into some this weekend as well. you should have kept more, nothing like a good catfish feed cajun style with some boiled crawdads and corn on the cob. dang gettting hungry right now.

jason

WOW! Awesome report and some real nice fish. I'm partial to the nice Bucketmouth, but those cats look like beauties too! Glad to hear that you are going to cook one up. They are the "sirloin of the south".

I had no idea that Sparrow holds Channel Catfish like that. Sure beats "Mud cats".

Gotta love the multi-species action...nicely done. Believe it or not, but Bowfin is DELICIOUS! Had some deep fried, wrapped in wontons, and it was off the charts...very firm...like eating roasted pork. I would eat it again in an artery clogged heartbeat :lol:

Is the set-line thing allowed, or just in certain areas? I always thought it was a no-no to leave your lines unattended/overnight? :dunno:

we didn't leave them out overnight... at night, while we were playing cards, we would go out and check on them every 20 minutes or so, then bring them in before we went to bed. we had a visual on the rods at all times... there was a light shining on them from the deck. if we were breaking the law, then the laws should be changed, LOL.

I think that there is a distance that you have to be close to your rod. I know a guy who in winter set his tip-ups on Scugog off shore and went and sat in his car on shore, Ministry pulled up and he was hit with a fine. He could see his tip-ups but was told he was not close enough, having a visual on the rod-bobber is not good enough.

Edited by fishermccann

i would say we were probably within 50 feet, maybe less... the cottage is a stone's throw from the water... as you can see from the pictures...

we all had only 1 line in each, and we all had licenses... i don't see any harm in what we did... all but 1 fish was released. the one that i kept was delicious. and if we go back up there, we'll do it all again.