Top water lures

splashhopper

any thoughts on the line I am using....

I don't have a boat yet so I am shore fishing all the time...

I don;t have a problem using 6lb test with a 4lb leader for some big rainbows on the Maitland river and am wondering why so many guys are suggesting heavy braid around 20-30 lbs;..

thanks again

You could get away with 15lb-20lb braid to pull those fish through the slop. It's after the fish hits initially that you usually need to haul them out of the thick stuff.

If you are open water fishing topwaters, 6lb-8lb mono is fine..

Fighting rainbows in open water and bass in slop are almost opposite applications. Fighting bass in slop, it all comes down to a the hook set and a couple seconds after. You are setting a big hook into a tough mouth, potentially with the line already half way round a log or pad root by the time you hit them. Then, you need to get the fish turned and coming out immediately, or a good fish will wrap around something and often get enough slack to throw the hook. You should be using an extremely stout (for bass) rod and a reel with the drag cranked down tight to do so. Heavy line is necessary to handle the shock, and in extremely heavy cover, the fish will never see the line anyway. With spinning tackle, you might consider going a little lower, because you are likely to break your rod long before the 30 lb braid, but I avoid spinning tackle for slop fishing bass when I can.

Fighting rainbows in open water and bass in slop are almost opposite applications. Fighting bass in slop, it all comes down to a the hook set and a couple seconds after. You are setting a big hook into a tough mouth, potentially with the line already half way round a log or pad root by the time you hit them. Then, you need to get the fish turned and coming out immediately, or a good fish will wrap around something and often get enough slack to throw the hook. You should be using an extremely stout (for bass) rod and a reel with the drag cranked down tight to do so. Heavy line is necessary to handle the shock, and in extremely heavy cover, the fish will never see the line anyway. With spinning tackle, you might consider going a little lower, because you are likely to break your rod long before the 30 lb braid, but I avoid spinning tackle for slop fishing bass when I can.

Hey BB:

I brought two rods with me today on my littel tour of backroads and ponds for soem top water action..

One of the rods is a Berkley 7' Med Heavy..

The other is a 6'5" Abu Garcia Medium light...

Don't it figure I have my white weedles frog on the lighter action rod and lose FOUR largies today.....

geeshhh.. :wallbash:

Ok, so tomorrow,, I am off to Angling Sport in London and gonna have him run some 20-30lb braid on the 7ft rod...

We are heading back up north( sorta) on Saturday with the canoe again...

I am gonna rip those largies face out if nothing at all... :P

Stay tuned.... I am still practicing.

Splashhopper...

PS...

I took the swivel off my white frog tonight ( pond fishing) and don't I get clobbered by a pike....buh bye frog :huh:

You can get away with 30lb mono leader for topwater if you hate flouro or wire leaders. Mono doesn't sink and won't mess up the action of the lure.

If you are in pikey waters, a leader is a must have.

Another vote for the Rapala Skitter Pop. I don't know if they still make them out of balsa or have gone to plastic already, but after being a Pop-R devotee for years I picked up two balsa Skitter Pops when the store was sold out of Pop-R's and never looked back. The trick I learned about poppers is that it's not about the sound we can perceive, but how much water the popper can spit out infront of it. It's all about the spit with poppers. Once you get in the right groove you can twitch a Skitter Pop 6" but spit water 2' infront of it, works well.

.....Mono doesn't sink and won't mess up the action of the lure......

I'm always using a braid/flouro combo, what I found works well is rubbing a candle or piece of paraffin on the flouro to keep it floating.

I'm always using a braid/flouro combo, what I found works well is rubbing a candle or piece of paraffin on the flouro to keep it floating.

It seems to me that coating flouro in wax would largely defeat the purpose of flouro (i.e. the wax undoubtedly would have a different refractive index than water, rendering the "invisible" flouro visible).

got 30 lb power pro braid put on the 7' med/heavy stick today.... went and tested it at "the pond" right after work...

wouldn't ya know.... a damned pike tore right through my new line,,, and my NEW weedless frog was gone....

but hey.... that blast outa the water scared the bejesus outa me again.... :P

I am not sure if its in catching the fish,,, or stalking it and seeing the strike....but it is exciting...i can hardly sleep! lol

B)

splashhopper

It seems to me that coating flouro in wax would largely defeat the purpose of flouro (i.e. the wax undoubtedly would have a different refractive index than water, rendering the "invisible" flouro visible).

I really doubt visibility really matters on surface lures, keeping your line from sinking does matter however.

The only waters where I fish for bass have the odd pike, the flouro is to stop bite offs. Braid isn't very pike-proof.

wouldn't ya know.... a damned pike tore right through my new line,,, and my NEW weedless frog was gone....

See!

Well, I got out on a river that I like fishing for pike and bass.

have been putting in the time and effort this last week with the top water lures thanks to all the suggestions and tips from everyone on this thread...

and ...

Here's the results of today's efforts...

Tossed about 10 cast in just after we launcched the canoe and WHAMMMO...

WAIT... wait... wait..... SET THE HOOOK ! :D

Ta-dah >>>

a 23" smallie!....

23inchsmallie60509.jpg

( we didn't realize that the flash wasn't on, on the camera but look closely, you will see how big this fish is)

and hopefully I am on the board for my team, finally.... :rolleyes:

I haven't looked at the time of this posting...

My buddy got three "snot-rockets" in the next thirty minutes... and I had one more hit...

then Nothing for the rest of the day.... :huh:

WE were anticipating a huuge day with the start we had....but alas... the fishing gods had other ideas..

I did end up with this bugger on my black top-water frog lure>>

CIMG3322.jpg

also.... does anyone know how deep this stuff grows below the surface of the river>>

CIMG3321.jpg

and no, it isn't the "Hydroponic gold" :P

Thanks for all the tips and support this week everyone....

you made my week :clapping:

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

I think the stuff in your last pic is called curly leaf pond weed. It has long stems and the leaf grows on top of the water the root will be in the bottom of the creek bed. Length of stem would depend on depth of water and flow.

BTW ....nice fish

Congrats. A word of advice; loose the snap swivel. Those baits aren't designed to work with a big piece of hardware hanging off their eye. The frog will also pick up more gunk without a direct connection. Most guys I see who fish topwater a lot don't even use split rings, just a direct knot to the eye.

And for frog fishing, yup, way heavier. I use 30 lb Spiderwire. Some use 50 lb.

Ok.. so i stopped using the swivel on the Power pro... I went out yesterday morning and got the rats nest of a life time on my new line....

now what? :o

I can't even seem to get the line out of the reel far enough to get past the last big loop in it yet... i think I am gonna lose about 30 yards of the new stuff already....

any suggestions guys?

thanks

splashhopper

Tie on the largest float you have on there, cast it out there and pick at the line till it's all free. Then you can reel it in tight.

Be patient and don't pull hard on the line when you know it's looped. You'll just make it worse.

What Roy said. If you see a few snarls forming in your line, make sure you take the time to straighten them before they develop into a real problem. That said, crane or barrel swivels like the one you have on in the pictures do virtually nothing to eliminate line twist. Try attaching an inline spinner and watching the bait in the water; both ends of the swivel will rotate right along with your bait. Besides that, the topwaters you are casting don't rotate, so they don't twist your line. Your problem is either the result of how you spooled the line, or your reel.

Beautiful smallie, BTW.

Edited by Burning Babies

Kept my frog on,,,, tossed it out a whole 10 yards,,,,,

got frustrated trying to get the rats nest out tonight... so i cut about 20 yards of line off...

then I went fishing...

got two hits within minutes.. missed the hook sets...

and then it just went dead...

no fish rolling... two other on shore and in a canoe.. had the same thing tonight...

not meant to be for tonight....

but hey...

I am getting the practice in tossing the frog at logs and shore lines to the right/left of me under trees and near bushes etc....

soon guys... i am gonna get me a BUCKET mouth outa there to be proud of.... :lol:

splashhopper

Tie on the largest float you have on there, cast it out there and pick at the line till it's all free. Then you can reel it in tight.

Be patient and don't pull hard on the line when you know it's looped. You'll just make it worse.

I did end up with this bugger on my black top-water frog lure>>

CIMG3322.jpg

HAHAHA, nixt time toss it back out in search of that BIG pike... ;):D

I have a bunch of top water baits but I just love my jitterbug's at dusk and when dark. If I tell you more, it won't be as fun for you...

HAHAHA, nixt time toss it back out in search of that BIG pike... ;):D

I have a bunch of top water baits but I just love my jitterbug's at dusk and when dark. If I tell you more, it won't be as fun for you...

we did throw the frog back out, still attached to the lure... it played possum on the open water... but as soon as it was near the vegetation.. it kicked up a fuss....nothing came after it...we tried once more... same thing.... so we let it go to live a long and happy life....

Been working the jitterbugs,,,, but can't work em around weeds... keep getting hung up... :huh:

Edited by splashhopper

we did throw the frog back out, still attached to the lure... it played possum on the open water... but as soon as it was near the vegetation.. it kicked up a fuss....nothing came after it...we tried once more... same thing.... so we let it go to live a long and happy life....

Been working the jitterbugs,,,, but can't work em around weeds... keep getting hung up... :huh:

Zara Spooks can be worked through weeds and not get caught up if done carefully.