Feb 10th Lake Scugog Report

ccmtcanada

Well, as stated in a thread earlier in the week, bly booked a hut on Scugog for an early Valentine's day treat! Well, we got there at 4:30pm...a half an hour early, but Kerry and Cyndi (operators of Lake Scugog Ice Hut Rentals) got our stuff loaded up right away and took us to our hut. They were great hosts and made every effort to make our stay as comfortable as possible.

I've never been ice fishing before, so it was kinda cool for me standing out in the middle of a lake that I usually fish in the summer. Here's a pic of bly outside our hut and a pic when the sun was going down.

gallery_60_23_56890.jpg

gallery_60_23_25265.jpg

Once inside, we got everything ready. The hut was propane heated and nice and warm for us. There was a minnow bucket inside already filled with bait. There were 4 holes inside so we set up our 2 tipups and 2 rods/holders and then waited for some action. The ice was nice and solid...around 10" think from what I could tell. Bly then made us some fresh coffee on the propane stove and we were all set!

med_gallery_60_23_132767.jpg

gallery_60_23_37146.jpg

Kerry came around to check up on us to see if we needed any minnows and noticed that our hut was dark, so he dropped off a lantern for us to use. At around 6:30pm, one of our tipups was set off!! Carole was closest, so she set the hook and began to bring in the fish. Unfortunately, the fish ended up with a free minnow!!! Oh well, we'll wait for the next hit. Suddenly, the rod in front of me went crazy, but I was too slow....by the time I picked up the rod to set the hook, it was gone. Things were kinda slow after that, so we had our romantic valentine's dinner.

gallery_60_23_36007.jpg

We then decided to break out the cards! I noticed that ice fishing tackle is downsized....so we used downsized cards as well....lol. And you guessed it...we played Go Fish...she beat me 3 games to 2.

gallery_60_23_32934.jpg

We had the option to stay out there all night long...Kerry offered to pick us up at around 5am, but we decided to leave at 11pm instead. With Carole fighting off bronchitis and the bite being really slow, we thought we'd head on home.

Kerry and Cyndi run a great operation. They were out checking on us to see if we needed anything. He even shovelled some snow around the hut to cut on drafts coming from underneath. Kerry was going to drop by to fish with us for a bit as well, but we ended up leaving early. They take you right out to your hut on a snowmobile. He has a heated bathroom on the ice as well, so that's really convenient. Our hut came equipped with 4 holes, 2 nice folding lawn chairs and a great comfy futon!

So, I must say, that even though we were skunked, I had a great time out there. I can see us doing this again soon...I'm not much of a cold weather person, but hey, this was like fishing in luxury....LOL. Thanks bly! It was the best valentine's gift I've ever had.

Edited by ccmtcanada

Cliff, Awesome report, and a great read! if only my reports were as well thought out! Awesome to hear about your first on ice fishing adventure :thumbsup_anim: Nowwe gotta get you and Bly to Simcoe for the 24th!! WooooHooooo....

Glad to hear you had a great time!

Gerritt.

well done cliff,im glad you guys had a great time,and enjoyed your first time out ice fishing,and yes thats an awsome valentines present you got there bud :w00t: ,well to bad the walleyes wernt co-operating last night,well maybe next time try lake simcoe and you might have alot better luck,thanks for sharing your report with all of us....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Hey guys good report thanks. Them eyes are funny there eh? Glad to see ya had a good time at the Bog. Kerry and Cyndi are a real class act and know their lake. Better luck next time but yas had a good nite anyway...thats what its' all about for ice fishin. B)

Hey guys good report thanks. Them eyes are funny there eh? Glad to see ya had a good time at the Bog. Kerry and Cyndi are a real class act and know their lake. Better luck next time but yas had a good nite anyway...thats what its' all about for ice fishin. B)

Thanks for putting us in touch with them. They were great hosts! We told them about the coffee....LOL....we had no idea what you meant...but they did.

nice effort - did you try any jigging? ( from what i understood you had 4 set lines?)

Yes we did....we tried lots of things...including jigging. We set all 4 at different depths with different bait setups. Also tried jigging with jigs and spoons. Nothing to show for our efforts, but it was a great time out there.

Just make sure you have enough PROPANE to get u through the night if u decide to stay

next time. We were out from Fri to Sun with them $110/ea . Switched huts three times bacause

Kerry had a few large groups going out. Ran out of PROPANE both nights. The fishing was not

good at all. Got 8 small perch in all that time. Tried everything. Glad to be home.

Sorry to hear the fish weren't co-operating the way you had hoped.

Guess with the slow bite there was time for other activities.

Futon, cozy hut, dim lighting, romantic dinner.

Was that hut a rockin' ??? ;)

Thanks for the report.