Someone told me...........

bassjnkie

You want to limit the amount of time you keep the fish exposed to the cold and wind..... catch, quick picture then release... The longer you leave it exposed to the elements the higher the chance that you will damage the fish.

Gerritt.

Back in the (oh, here he goes again..) late 80's I think, there was a news item of some Inuktuk from Pond Inlet, NWT that discovered a whale that got trapped in an ever narrowing and freezing sort of large inlet or something.

The story gathered momentum as the media seized upon it.

A group, might have been Greenpeace, commissioned the use of a powerful helicopter to go and airlift the whale out. (Apparently the cost of the heli fuel alone exceeded 1 million dollars!)

One of the newsreporters gave his little blurb, after when he landed at a makeshift landing strip,not too far from the scene.

He elaborated that it was so cold, that when he got out of the small plane, he hadn't took 20 or so steps, when he felt a stabbing pain in his left eye, followed momentarily by another just like it in his third eye, oops, other eye.

It was soon discovered that the intense cold had literally frozen his contact lenses to his eyeballs!! :w00t:

He was subsequently forced to wear a pair of eyeglasses that were donated to him fer the event by one of the natives, even though they were the wrong prescription.

I never forgot that story, because he also mentioned that the Natives, were so acclimatized the the cold that they carried about their business with open parkas, seemingly unpertubed by what we would consider unbearable cold.