Minnow Trap

alexmedic

My buddy and I are heading up to the Gogama area in a few weeks and apparently the walleye have been hitting great!

I was going to buy a minnow trap before the trip, but after reading the regs., I'm confused... :dunno:

When reading regs, it says,

"Only resident anglers may capture

baitfish, using the methods outlined

below."

My question is what is a "Resident Angler"?

Does it mean a resident to the township, the zone, or to the province?

I'd hate to find out the hard way!!

I understand it to mean province, just like your fishing license, if you reside in Ont. you are a resident and therefore buy a resident fishing license.

like the others have said. You have a Lic. that you paid for to fish in ON then you can catch minnows where you are fishing, just don't transport them any distance.

Edited by GBW

Although I would clarify this with the MNR but the way I read it the term "resident" refers to residents of Canada."Angler" would refer to those entitled to fish in Ontario with or without a licence as per the regulations.

The Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary defines two types of residents. Ontario and Canadian.

"Only resident anglers may capture

baitfish, using the methods outlined

below."

This quote doesn't refer to which type of resident it refers to but the Summary does state what a non resident is.

Fishing Ontario 2008-2009

Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary

pg. 6: "Anyone who is not an Ontario or Canadian resident (see definitions, page 5) is considered a non-resident for the purposes of fishing licence regulations."

(Page 5 defines what is required to be considered a Ontario or Canadian resident.)

So my take on it is if you do not fit the definition of a non-resident you must be a resident.

Rick

Edited by Woodsman

I used to issue fishing licences for Wal-Mart in Owen Sound til I retired in May 08. The regulation that they came out with that year said that anyone who had resided continuously in Ontario for 6 months in the last twelve months prior to applying for a licence was considered an Ontario Resident. Other Canadians who did not meet this criteria were considered as Canadian residents. It had something to do with an agreement signed by all the provinces so that people from out of province did no get hit with non-resident fees. Non-resident fees are substantially larger.