Installing F/F transducer ?

Lunker777

Hey everyone

I have a Hummingbird 565 fish finder and Im just installing it on the boat right now.

I was wondering the best location for the transducer. I have never installed one before so its all new to me.

I want to get away from bolting the transducer to the hull if possible, So I was thinking about mounting it on a small peice of wood and then using 3M 5200 epoxy to attach that to the hull..

I dont know if you guys have used this stuff but its pretty wicked epoxy, I think it would work well !

heres a pic of the rear of the hull...

DSC02661.jpg

I plan on making the whole on the top to run the wire through so I dont have to make any holes under the water line... Let me know what ya'll think !

Also, would a regular 12 V battery do the trick for powering the fish finder... and nav. lights etc. or should that be a deep cycle as well ?

Thanks !

It's up to you if you want to drill hole in the hull or not but the best location would be about where the inner screw are holding on the "handles". Port or Starboard is your choice. I would use a piece of pressure treated lumber about 3" wide and that extends from the top of the transom to the bottom. Bolt above the water line and use your epoxy (I would use silicone chalking) to hold the bottom part of this piece of wood to the transom. With the bolting above the water line this will make it a strong install and the epoxy will hold it from shifting.

Now make sure your transducer is JUST below the hull when you mount it giving you some adjustment to go either a bit more below the hull or just even with the hull (the mount should be grooved out for this purpose).

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT ADJUSTMENT that none of the books tell you......to get readings a High Speeds you should tilt the transducer just slightly so the beam actually shoots forward toward the bow of the boat. This insurse water flows across the face of the transducer at high speeds. VERY IMPORTANT

I see there appears to be 2 screws just to the right of the water drain, use them to bolt on your transducer or piece of wood for the mount. As for silicone, unless it's the special type, silicone doesn't adhere well to aluminum no matter what you prep it with, not recommended. Use either 3M4200 or 3M5200. If your motor doesn't recharge while running, get a small deep cycle, charge it after every days use.

Yes ensure your transducer can be adjusted so you can tilt a few degress forward or rear. Forward will give you better highspeed and I tilt to the rear when using downriggers as It shows the balls perfectly, once Im at the depth I want them at I tilt it back straight down or slightly forward and seems to works good for me. Play around with it as electronics on a boat are a black art. What works for some will be different for others.

As for silicone, unless it's the special type, silicone doesn't adhere well to aluminum no matter what you prep it with, not recommended.

I have to disagree with over 20 years of experience with just regular 3M Silicone... I put some on where I screwed the transducer onto the transom that's now 24 years old (still holding), so I would say it's pretty good adhering to aluminum. I have use this stuff for MANY projects and it never lets me down. But if you must purchase special much more expensive stuff, GO FOR IT. :rolleyes:

P.S. the screws to the right of the drain plug are a little too close to the motor to mount a transducer IMHO.........you might very well get too much turbulence causing air bubbles to interfere with the transducer reading the bottom/fish.

Good Luck and let us know how you made out.

Bob

Edited by Billy Bob

The 500 series manual you got with the unit should tell you where to install the transducer...have you read that?

Yea I did... I didn't see anywhere in it installation tips though? Maybe I skimmed over it :blush::blush: . I bought it used so maybe there is an intallation guide or something Im missing :dunno: ... No big deal.

I have to disagree with over 20 years of experience with just regular 3M Silicone... I put some on where I screwed the transducer onto the transom that's now 24 years old (still holding), so I would say it's pretty good adhering to aluminum. I have use this stuff for MANY projects and it never lets me down. But if you must purchase special much more expensive stuff, GO FOR IT. :rolleyes:

P.S. the screws to the right of the drain plug are a little too close to the motor to mount a transducer IMHO.........you might very well get too much turbulence causing air bubbles to interfere with the transducer reading the bottom/fish.

Good Luck and let us know how you made out.

Bob

Hahah thanks Bob... I knew about the screws already in the hull but like you said, I too thought it was a little to close to the motor.

The 3M5200 epoxy I have ... I think I only paid $15 for a big tube of it. The size that goes in a caulking gun. I think thats a pretty good deal.

So is a deep cycle really needed for fish finders, lights, etc. or will a reg battery work ? I already have the deep cycle for my trollin motor... but I know not to use it for fish finders due to interference !

lunker, i use the portable battery that lebarons sells for ice fishing.. just clip it onto the quick connects that i've got wired for my nav lights and generously proportioned.. that thing will run my fish finder for at least 3 days, havent tried it much longer than that, and it doesnt add any more weight to the boat..

I would try hooking up to the trolling motor battery you already have....you might not experience any interference. You can test that on land or the next time out. Looking at the boat I'm not only trying to save you money but also space and unnecessary weight.

If you have to get another battery a group 24 size deep cycle would be your best choice for what you want to do with it.

Bob

I would try hooking up to the trolling motor battery you already have....you might not experience any interference. You can test that on land or the next time out. Looking at the boat I'm not only trying to save you money but also space and unnecessary weight.

If you have to get another battery a group 24 size deep cycle would be your best choice for what you want to do with it.

Bob

Space isnt really an issue, I have put the trolling motor battery in one of the benches.

Can you run a electric trollin motor out of the water ? if so, Ill hook up the fish finder tonight to it and see if I get any interference.

If all you need it for is to power a fish finder you don't need a honkin' deep cycle, just pick up a sealed 5A or 7 amp sealed battery from any hobby store that deals with radio control. $20-$30, and it will power a finder and low draw LED nav lights for days, maybe 5-6 pounds.

If you want to avoid holes in the hull, mount the transducer to a piece of L channel aluminum ($3/foot) and clamp that to the transom. Works good for ice fishing too, ghetto portability, that's how I roll.

cuda03.jpg

Oh, and silicone isn't that good of an adhesive, it's a flexible sealant. 5200 is both.

Edited by CLofchik

If all you need it for is to power a generously proportioned you don't need a honkin' deep cycle, just pick up a sealed 5A or 7 amp sealed battery from any hobby store that deals with radio control. $20-$30, and it will power a generously proportioned and low draw LED nav lights for days, maybe 5-6 pounds.

If you want to avoid holes in the hull, mount the transducer to a piece of L channel aluminum ($3/foot) and clamp that to the transom. Works good for ice fishing too, ghetto portability, that's how I roll.

cuda03.jpg

Oh, and silicone isn't that good of an adhesive, it's a flexible sealant. 5200 is both.

When you say Generously proportioned what do u mean by that ? hahaha dumb question probably !

Would a lawn mower battery work ?

ANY 12 volt battery will "work" but do you want to have a good battery you can depend on and have for several years or do you want a "disposable" battery that might get the job done for the season and have to purchase another battery the following year. That's up to YOU.........

Bob

When you say Generously proportioned what do u mean by that ? hahaha dumb question probably !

Would a lawn mower battery work ?

BAHWHAAAHAAAHAAAAAAA just noticed that. LOL @ word filter silliness, apparently if you shorten fishfinder to FF it gets dubbed into "generously proportioned". Jeez how dirty does your mind have to be to find sleaze in generously proportioned?

FFFF

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Oh and you can really use any battery you want, as long as you get it up to 12volts. Radio Shack/Source sells an 8xAA holder so you can use eight rechargeable AA batteries, depending on which finder you have you'll get 6-12 hours. 8x1.2=10ish volts, which is in the operating spectrum of most finders.

pRS1C-2160158w345.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...oductId=2062251

Edited by CLofchik