I've been a diehard Daiwa fan but...........

croixed

Wow are those new Shimano Curado's and Chronarch's some sweet fish catching machines. Even the Citica I played with was exceptionally built for a modest price. I couldn't resist and have bought myself a new Curado. I was always dead set against Shimano, but I am leaning to the other side now. Is there a cure, or am I getting Shimamotitis!

Guest skeeter99
Consider yourself as getting a little smarter!!!

Diawa's are for retards that don't know any better. :rolleyes:

if you actually read!!! and research and look at product reviews!!!

the curados are good, but the new daiwa HSTA reels are deemed superior in materials and function along with the Garcia revos and to boot the price is cheaper than the curados

dont get me wrong I own 9 curados currently, but the performace/quality materials/cost have made me buy garcias and daiwa's they are better than a curado right now anyway, most of the competitirs reels in the curados category are super tuned shimanos are not.

you will be very suprised at the performance of daiwas and garcia's in the same class as the curado

Edited by skeeter99

if you actually read!!! and research and look at product reviews!!!

the curados are good, but the new daiwa HSTA reels are deemed superior in materials and function along with the Garcia revos and to boot the price is cheaper than the curados

dont get me wrong I own 9 curados currently, but the performace/quality materials/cost have made me buy garcias and daiwa's they are better than a curado right now anyway, most of the competitirs reels in the curados category are super tuned shimanos are not.

you will be very suprised at the performance of daiwas and garcia's in the same class as the curado

He said... as he came bursting out of the closet in flames!!!

For me, it's Daiwa spinning, Shimano casting.

I have always liked Daiwa spinning reels. I've owned a Capricorn, two Lagunas, a Regal XiA - all of which have been smooth and reliable. Compared to Shimano, Daiwa spinning reels feel sturdier and smoother, with more metal parts. I find comparable Shimano spinning reels to have more plastic components on the handle, bail and anti-reverse.

I have only owned two baitcasters - Shimano Curado B and Abu Garcia C3 5501. I find the Shimano to be far superior in casting and retrieving. It also feels much less bulky in my hand. I have heard and read many positive reviews of the Curado. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

Wow are those new Shimano Curado's and Chronarch's some sweet fish catching machines. Even the Citica I played with was exceptionally built for a modest price. I couldn't resist and have bought myself a new Curado. I was always dead set against Shimano, but I am leaning to the other side now. Is there a cure, or am I getting Shimamotitis!

What Daiwa reels do you own and are comparing the new Curado to?

I currently own a Daiwa viento, a couple of fuegos, and a couple of millionaire z series reels. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the Daiwas. I just never had put the Shimano baitcast reels within the same price point as the Daiwas. I don't have any experience with the Team Daiwa advantage, or Zillion series reels, but I can imagine the quality is there as well. This is new to me stepping outside my "Daiwa comfort zone" I guess you can say. My experience with getting service done on some TD-X's I use to have was not the greatest. I sent a bunch of them to the "authorized" dealer we have in Ontario for an overhaul in the cleaning department, and a couple in need of some minor repair. When I got them back they were in worse shape then when I sent them out. A couple of them I ended up shipping to the states to get repaired. Again, thats just my personal experience. It could happen to anyone with any reel manufacturer. I do know my options for repair and/or warranty work are greater here with Shimano If needed. Now If someone has too much money on their hands, and would like to throw some my way I would gladly love to try those Daiwa Steez reels.

Edited by croixman

I think I know which service dealer you speak of and I would not let them touch my reels again. I jut do mine myself. I have been tuning and adding "Bling" to my reels for a # of years now. I have polished the gears even on most Daiwas now. You wont find smoother than Daiwa but JDM Shimano's seem to be more smoother than USDM reels. I have the New Scorpion XT reels and even though they are basically the same reel they are better. This is the second season for the Curado Reels and they arnt standing up very good thus far. I'm not inpressed at all.

I started off using Daiwa, but quickly found that if you don't spend the money on the good JDM models ($400+), there is really no comparison. Shimano excels at producing a $200 reel. My current arsenal includes 2 Curado Es, a Chronarch B, and a Core MgFV. I will usually stay away from any reel not made in Japan, as the rest which are made in Malaysia and Taiwan and China do not have the tight tolerances in their tooling required to make a smooth reel, especially one that lasts. The Zillion from Daiwa is a nice reel, but it's sill not down to the Curado Es price point.

For Daiwa casting reels, I own a Viento, a Rojo, an Accudepth. And for Shimano, I have two Curados and a Cardiff. I have to say the Shimanos perform better than the Daiwas I own. And I found the twitchin' bar quite useless... Have yet to try the higher-end reels from the both companies due to the money factor.

But lately I'm loving the new Abu Garcia Revo SX. It's not too expensive and very smooth. I'm getting a Revo Premier and it's probably even better.

Edited by jc2ho

I just bought a Daiwa viento after being a die-hard Shimano guy for years. I stripped a gear in my Stradic and had to drive a ridiculous amount of time to get to Aikmans in Miss. When I heard that the service center for Daiwa was at Gagnons, which is 10min down the road, I was sold. Don't mind the quality one bit. That being said, I've never owned a Shimano baitcaster that I didn't like. My very first one was a...Chromica and lasted me well into its tenth year when a few surprise musky stripped the reel. I'm still trying to get the thing to cast again. It was by far the best spinnerbait reel I ever owned.

BTW, comparing an Abu C3 to a curado is like looking at the wheel before it was round and then seeing what it should be.

Fan of both Daiwa and Shimano (higher end models only)

Currently I have

Calais 200DC and a Anatres (Calais100)

I also have a Daiwa Steez.

The Calais are the smoothest reels out there on the market IMO. Even the Steez does not compare to it. Great thing about the Steez is its weight.

I would like to get the Shimano Core or the Aldebaran with the light weight of a Daiwa Steez and the smoothness of a Calais.

Jose

Never look at what people spec reels at. Materials, smoothness and components are part of the engineering and being "deemed" superior means squat. You can't figure which one is the best until you beat the tar out of it for a few years and see which one is still standing.

I put over 100 days a year on the water and have a Chronarch (white one) from 1994 that I still use... for me, that's enough said!

two years ago i got a shimano metanium mg. it was the best real i eve had.

this year i got a daiwa fuego baitcaster.

i think these two reels are neck and neck. i can't tell the difference. the fuego actually fits more nicely in my hand.

i casted my friends brand new 300E that he's using for musky and that is one nice reel, but it doesn't take a lot of line, especially when it is 80lb braid.

imho, when you go higher end, both daiwa and shimanos are excellent and you really can't go wrong w/ either.

Never look at what people spec reels at. Materials, smoothness and components are part of the engineering and being "deemed" superior means squat. You can't figure which one is the best until you beat the tar out of it for a few years and see which one is still standing.

I put over 100 days a year on the water and have a Chronarch (white one) from 1994 that I still use... for me, that's enough said!

JPD,

There is a reason why that reel is still going for $140 -160 us on Ebay. I still fish with 4 of them. They are a fantastic reel. I love my Curado B series reels. The new green ones are not standing up. I spend around 150 days on the water and burn some higher end reels out also. I burned 2 Steez reels out last season. Strickly a finesse reel imo, not geared to much for heavy apps. Same as the Core, to much of a finesse reel. Wont stand the long run, just the way the gears are set up. Swap out the gears for a JDM set and you have an entirely different reel.

I cant wait for Icast to see whats unveiled. 100 series in Shimano perhaps, need that void filled. USDM market copy of Alberdan, I have this reel. Not to bad but a tad over estimated. Graet marketing though.

Enough. I can talk for hours about reels and mods.

PS JPD, Japan tackle has a mod you would like for the Pearl Chronarch. Avil spool and a Bassart handle with Calais rubber. Sweet setup. :D