2002 vehicle air conditioning

Radnine

I am soliciting opinions on air conditioning for older vehicles.

I have a 2002 Montana van that I plan to keep. Two summers ago (when it was 5 years old) I put $800 into a new condenser. The air lasted that summer then I could smell something and hear the gurgling over the winter to know that something else had gone for a crap and sure enough, no air this summer.

I guess I am debating about getting it fixed again this year. The diagnostic cost itself seems high (filling the system at a cost then seeing where it leaks) then the actual cost of whatever component it is is always stupid expensive.

I would happily drop a bunch of money if I thought it would last for another 5 years, but don't want to get into bleeding $800 per year just to be cool.

I guess I am asking for input as to:

Do people generally bother getting the air fixed?

Does anyone know an air conditioning guru?

Are there better after-market solutions?

How long did your air conditioning last?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Edited by Radnine

You're stuck between a rock and hard place when it comes to A/C........short story........ a friend had his go and took it in have checked out. They quoted him $1000 for a condenser. He talked to a fellow firefighter after one of our meetings and Jesse said yes he could do it. He paid Jesse $50 for labor and another $150 for the part and now he's enjoying A/C again......

I have charged many A/C units myself and saved myself and several friends some money. Have you at least tried this before spending TONS of money on it.

BTW......NO I would not spend that kind of money on A/C on a 7 year old car unless I lived in the south where I REALLY need A/C.

Good Luck,

Bob

I am with Billy Bob on this, air cond repair is a rip off.

I had a buddy show me the ins and outs of an air cond system and bought a refill kit and now i do my own refills for $12 a can. It's worth a try to recharge your system to see if its just a lack of coolant, i do it for all my friends too, I have had one condenser show a leak and one compressor that was seized, other than that i have had a couple dozen that just needed a refill because of a slow leak and lack of use in cold weather. It usually worth the $12 to try it before spending the big money.

Too bad you don't live closer i would top your system up for you.

SO; you're saying thats it's OK too pollute the atmosphere?

because your to cheap to get the leak fixed. :clapping::clapping:

Like someone else said the new refrigerants don't contain the ozone depleting chemicals like R12 did. They are mostly made up of propane and butane and other hydro carbons. May you need to look at this site cause Dura cool might just be better for the environment than the stuff that has already leaked out. It's not about being cheap its that garages are ripping people off when it comes to air conditioning because of out dated thinking. $800 to replace a condenser ? on a 8 year old van, who can afford that ? I bet the condenser was only worth less than $200 and took minutes to install.

Trying one can of Duracool isn't going to end the world

I ran my old work truck on propane in the air conditioning system for 4 years, never had a problem other than it was too cold and would freeze up on really hot humid days.

Duracool

You live in TO and your worried about me polluting the environment ? lol Now that there is funny ......

you're right that the refrigerant in most current cars (r-134a) doesnt pollute/deplete ozone like r12 did, but it still does both of those things, to a lesser extent. r-134a isnt the same as what is in the cans they sell at the store and anyone buying or selling it has to have an ODP card.

it's actually against the law to fill/top up a leaking system clean air act of 1990.

as for the ripping off remarks 900 is the average a/c repair bill and it has nothing do due with old vehicles the parts cost the same as new ones. and if you can put a condensor in a montana van in minutes well i hire you right now

it's actually against the law to fill/top up a leaking system clean air act of 1990.

as for the ripping off remarks 900 is the average a/c repair bill and it has nothing do due with old vehicles the parts cost the same as new ones. and if you can put a condensor in a montana van in minutes well i hire you right now

haha yea condensor is not fun in a Montana